Clipping a kittens nails---good way!

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Hi all,

I fostered kittens a long time ago, so I have clipped their nails before. I have a great way that works real well. I call it "A kitten burrito", here is how to do it:

Sept 1. Find a small blanket of towel and get your kitten.

Step 2. Spread the towel on your lap and put the kitten in the middle of it.

Step 3. Roll up the kitten in the blanket/towel like a burrito. (Thats why I call it the "Kitten burrito".)

Step 4. Only pull ONE paw out of the the burrito to clip the nails.

If you don't know how to clip cat nails go to this thread: http://www.petforums.com/showthread.php/8126-Five-At-Home-Do-It-Yourself-Pet-Care-Tips?highlight=tips+clipping+cats+nails

Hope this helps!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I never wrapped my kittens or cats up to clip their nails, I always preferred for it to be a more natural grooming thing, not like the administration of medicine, etc., sometimes that may require towel wrapping. I used to just sit the kitten on my lap and use small people nail clippers, until I realized that they were not doing the job right and splintering the nail tips instead of giving a clean cut.

Now i just get the small cat nail clipper ready, and pick up the cat gently when he's relaxed or has been napping. Then I clip the tips only, while laying the cat on his side on a bed or other surface. If I can't get all the nails in one session, I keep track of the ones on which paw I did, and continue the next time the cat is relaxed.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I agree Alpha. But the kittens I had a long time ago did not enjoy being clipped. It's a good way to me. Also, it is only for kittens, not full grown cats.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
It's good to do what's needed to get the job done Yeti. :friendly_wink: :cathang:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Once I saw a picture on funnycatpix with the caption "purriot" under a kitten completely inside a towel with only her face visible. She did not look happy in that position.

When I had to give Patricia eardrops, she would not let me wrap her. I had to wait until she was under the blankets on my bed, sleeping naturally. No way would a purrito work for clipping claws if tried.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
CatMom, is that story from a kitten or a cat?