Coconut oil on paws

Eleora

I noticed that Molly's front paws area little bit dry and I think its just the toe pads not the big pad the back ones are ok so I don't think it something internal? and it cant be something she is walking over because the back ones would be the same? Could it be from scratching her scratching posts? What could be the cause? and is coconut oil safe to put on them? The one I have is cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil .

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Yes, coconut oil is safe to use on them, I've even given it to both my dog and cat internally at times, take it myself. The only drawback is she'll probably immediately lick it all off.....or it might leave an oily mark or stain on certain fabrics, etc. I never noticed that dryness on my cat, but they definitely use their front paws much more than the back.

Eleora

Original Poster
Yes, coconut oil is safe to use on them, I've even given it to both my dog and cat internally at times, take it myself. The only drawback is she'll probably immediately lick it all off.....or it might leave an oily mark or stain on certain fabrics, etc. I never noticed that dryness on my cat, but they definitely use their front paws much more than the back.

Thanks, I just put some on them, It was so funny! she was licking my fingers as I was doing it. I just noticed that there is one toe in particular that looks weird this one I wonder if its the rice in that Burns food? but wouldn't that be in more that just one toe?

paw2.jpg

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
In my opinion, it has nothing to do with a rice ingredient in the food. Maybe she stepped on something that was hot, like a radiator or stove burner?

Eleora

Original Poster
In my opinion, it has nothing to do with a rice ingredient in the food. Maybe she stepped on something that was hot, like a radiator or stove burner?
:( Yeah the other day she jumped up on the ceramic stove it was off but still a bit hot. I usually close the kitchen door I have no idea how it opened. SO embarrassed :redface-new: I need to get a cover for it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Mine jumped up on my glass top electric stove once, like you, the burner wasn't on, but it takes a long time to cool down.....lesson learned for the cat, he doesn't do it anymore.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You can put some natural vitamin E also on that part of the paw to aid healing, D-alpha NOT DL-Alpha. The first is the natural version and best. But honestly, it already looks like it's naturally healing and not infected or sore looking.

Eleora

Original Poster
Alright thank you! :) Cats are so fast I think she is sleeping and next split second she is right behind me. I checked her paws after she done it and she wasn't limping or anything, it looks rather sore now though although she doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch it.

Esme

Hope Molly's paw is better today. Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Hope Molly's paw is better today. Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.
You should also train Molly to never jump on the stove.

Esme

That's easier said than done Catmom. I've caught my Toby and Priss on the counter after I put dishes in the sink (I don't have a dishwasher) so I've tried several things to discourage them but it still happens sometimes. Cats are curious creatures after all.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.
Yes, that's the only time something like that happened with Loki, now he's aware and has learned and seems to approach the stove more cautiously than when he was younger. I have no problems with my cat walking on the counters, table or stove as long as they're not going after something I'm preparing for us or a meal that we are eating, my boy's pretty good about leaving our things alone.

There's a little section of counter next to the stove that I keep paper bill receipts and stuff in, and sometimes he likes to curl up and lay in there, so often he's walk across the stove to do it. Also, when we're camping in our tiny camper, we have a 3 burner gas stove that he navigates very well. If we're cooking things on the stove he leaves it alone, at night if we have one burner on low to warm the camper, he might walk around it, never had a problem with his getting burned. He's allowed on all the counter space (very little) in the camper, unless our food is up there.

Just like we do, our pets learn from life's little lessons and it makes them safer in the long run.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Yes, that's the only time something like that happened with Loki, now he's aware and has learned and seems to approach the stove more cautiously than when he was younger. I have no problems with my cat walking on the counters, table or stove as long as they're not going after something I'm preparing for us or a meal that we are eating, my boy's pretty good about leaving our things alone.

There's a little section of counter next to the stove that I keep paper bill receipts and stuff in, and sometimes he likes to curl up and lay in there, so often he's walk across the stove to do it. Also, when we're camping in our tiny camper, we have a 3 burner gas stove that he navigates very well. If we're cooking things on the stove he leaves it alone, at night if we have one burner on low to warm the camper, he might walk around it, never had a problem with his getting burned. He's allowed on all the counter space (very little) in the camper, unless our food is up there.

Just like we do, our pets learn from life's little lessons and it makes them safer in the long run.
I am fine with Daisy being anywhere to the right of the sink, where Mom puts her purses, mail, etc. and on most of the bar counter. But sometimes she tries to get on the wrong side, where we dirty dishes, and for safety reasons I do not want her there.

Eleora

Original Poster
Well she just licks the coconut oil right off as soon as I put it on! She loves it :/ Her pads do seem more moist though. I would love to train her not to jump on that side of the counters, there are glass chopping board type covers I can buy but also have my eye on one of these http://hobcoversdirect.co.uk/id17.html

I think its so stupid that cookers don't come with safety lids, they should all have pull down lids it seems that only some gas ones do.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Even though she licks it off, it's good for her internally. I don't bother with covers, just like I learned with the smooth electric stove tops not to touch when hot, I believe that our cats do too. We have to protect them from some things, but not everything, or they'll never learn and be able to survive on their own, IMO.

Eleora

Original Poster
I can keep the kitchen door shut, but if she has learned to open it I can take the handle off and put it back on but upside down, so then she cant pull it down.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Well she just licks the coconut oil right off as soon as I put it on! She loves it :/ Her pads do seem more moist though. I would love to train her not to jump on that side of the counters, there are glass chopping board type covers I can buy but also have my eye on one of these http://hobcoversdirect.co.uk/id17.html

I think its so stupid that cookers don't come with safety lids, they should all have pull down lids it seems that only some gas ones do.
The problem with that is you would have a hard time moving it when you need to cook on the stove. It does not look lightweight. Gas stove covers are made to just cover each burner.

Remember the thread about using lemon oil to deter Molly from scratching on carpet? Maybe using citrus spray would work on the stove if it is not flammable.

catsandcorals

The place I live has lowered counters and a lowered electric stove, so it is impossible to keep the cats off of the stove! I don't cook much on the stove, but this post makes me think I should get covers "just in case".

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
The place I live has lowered counters and a lowered electric stove, so it is impossible to keep the cats off of the stove! I don't cook much on the stove, but this post makes me think I should get covers "just in case".
Do you live in a wheelchair-accessible home?

I would rather train the cat to not jump up there if you can find a good deterrant.