Coda (my red and black oranda)

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
So, as some might know, I recently got two beautiful baby goldies for my 40 gallon breeder tank, one red and white ranchu and 1 red and black oranda.

The night after bringing them home, I noticed the oranda gulping air acting a little off. I thought I saw some slight pineconing, but hard to tell. The next morning, I gave them some frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp. I noticed the pineconing and moved the oranda into a tub to get a better look. There was indeed some scale distention, but not severe. I ordered some API general cure (it has praziquantel in it which kills dropsy causing parasites). He was slowly getting worse, so I decided on an epsom bath. I added a tiny bit of cajeput also Incase it was bacterial. I left him in the bath for 10 minutes, then moved him back in the tank. That night I gave them a little pea and and did another waterchange. I added some DIY melafix (very diluted cajeput). Next morning, no improvement. Did another waterchange. That evening a gave them a little more mysis shrimp and bloodworms. Also offered some boiled spinach. Today the oranda was doing worse. Was guessing he had gill flukes to by the way he was gulping (which would make sense if he had dropsy causing parasites). He was very lethargic. Gave him another epsom bath, but cut it short cause he appeared stressed. After that he looked a little better and was active for a little bit, but then a little later he worsened. He was pretty much just laying on the bottom of the tank really really lethargic most of the time. The scale distention was much worse, which would mean his kidneys definitely weren’t functioning properly. I did another waterchange. He only got worse as the day went on. Decided it was time to euthanize, he wasn’t gonna get better. I sobbed a lot. I sobbed yesterday to. Even though I’ve only had him a few days, from the time I saw him at the LFS, I made a personal connection with him. He was so perfect, and extremely cute. Exactly what I'd been looking for.

I used the clove oil method, he went peacefully, but it’s still heartbreaking.

The ranchu seems okay. He has some lethargy to, but much more minor and he doesn’t have any scale distention or anything. I should be getting the praziquantel tomorrow so I’m gonna give him a round to get rid of anything before it gets as bad as the oranda. Hopefully he’ll be okay and I’ll be able to get a friend for him soon. The ranchu is super skittish though. He still hides when he sees me. Hopefully he’ll warm up to me soon.

I’m still very sad though, my little Coda is gone.

Some pics in his memory, he’s only been gone a few hours, but I would like to post these. FDAC30E2-3F74-41DB-822E-BD68D2C1EFE1.jpeg6D112320-DFC7-4787-A75B-1924D1EB3AC6.jpegA7A4E1AD-9110-48F1-9E8A-B98D1EA8894D.jpeg

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Very sad you lost your Coda, he was very sweet looking...hugs. 💙
Luckily the ranchu seems to be doing well. He’s incredibly cute and very active. He looks pretty healthy and has an appetite. He is still scared of me though. He’s getting just a slight bit less shy, but he still hides when he sees me. He’s such a cutie though. I still can’t decide on a name for him.

mkhtk79

Sorry for your loss. That little black spot above his mouth looked like a little moustache he was cute!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Sorry for your loss. That little black spot above his mouth looked like a little moustache he was cute!
That’s what the lady at the pet shop said when I picked him out. He was adorable. I still miss him even though I only had him a few days.