Comparison of Small Rodents as Potential Pets

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Here's a short article with a bit of information about common small rodents found in pet stores...http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resourcesgeneral/a/choosearodent.htm :mouse:

Fancy mice live one to three years on average and are quite easy to care for. They are the smallest of the mentioned rodents here with bodies that are only about three inches long and a long hairless tail (like a rat).

They are social and females do well in pairs or small groups (males tend to fight if kept with other males). They require only a relatively small cage (a minimum of 12 x 18 inches and 12 inches tall), although a larger cage is recommended if you have more than one pair.

Mice can become quite tame if handled regularly but are small, fast, and can be skittish. They are low maintenance, active, playful and entertaining to watch.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
I never did either Linda, but a lot of folks do. My nephew had a white rat years ago that he was very fond of, also a couple of snakes. I only had dogs or cats, and an African Grey parrot for a short time, but I'm not really a bird person either. I love to watch them outdoors, but have no desire to keep them caged in the house, plus with dogs and cats around, it's not always safe for them in a house.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
I really like rodents and want to get one badly! But I can't right now do to personal reasons.