Cool tricks

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
What are some cool tricks to train your dog? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Sit up. Put a treat over the dog'a nose, too high for it to grab without lifting its front paws.

Marlies

While rubbing their belly hold a small piece of cheese behind their head and it gets them to learn to roll over and they love it

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
While rubbing their belly hold a small piece of cheese behind their head and it gets them to learn to roll over and they love it
Good technique, I've used it myself for one of my dogs, works very well! :dog2:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Does he know "shake hands" with his paw? My grandma had a golden retriever who gave me his left paw to do that.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
Does he know "shake hands" with his paw? My grandma had a golden retriever who gave me his left paw to do that.

Yes, he knows that. He knows "roll over", treat on his nose, "wave", "take a nap", jumping though a hoop, "spin", "jump", "up" and "which hand" .

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
To train to walk backwards away from you, lead your dog into a narrow walkway, like between the bed and a wall, or between a coffee table and a couch. You walk backwards to do it while facing him. When it's time for the dog to walk back, command him with a tiny treat in your hand, 'back....back...back', until he's all the way back where you both started, then calmly praise and give treat immediately. Once he learns it well, it can be done anywhere.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
While he's lying down on the floor on his belly, you can teach him to crawl forward without standing up. Put one hand with palm toward him to guide him to stay down while he crawls. Hold the treat directly on the floor as you slowly move it away from him so it's just out of reach. When he's crawled several feet, give him the treat and tell him 'good crawl!'.

abbycox

Great suggestions guys! Thanks. I'm still starting to train him and he knew just a few basic tricks and commands.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Oh come on, it is more fun to have a dog who knows tricks after she obeys all of the basic commands.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I'm not interested in them doing tricks, I just want obedient.

After they know all the obedience you want them to know, then you can just train your dog a few "easy to learn" tricks to show your friends when they come to your house! Does your dog know any tricks?

Alexandria

Oh come on, it is more fun to have a dog who knows tricks after she obeys all of the basic commands.
Yeah I agree with you CatMom, it's really fun to have a dog who knows tricks especially when you're bored and you just want to play with him.

abbycox

Yeah I'd be glad to show it to my friends haha. Tricks can also be a way to train your dog right?