Cory Catfish Troubles!

PhoenixKoi

I recently stocked my 55 gallon tall tank with 3 Pearl Gourami and 3 Cory Catfish. We started out with 3 of the Cory Catfish because we havent had much luck with them in the past so we wanted to start off small. When we brought them home yesterday the Gourami were fine and ate within 45 minutes but the Corys seemed a little off.
There were two of the Corys that were doing fine but one of them had clamped fins and wasnt really keeping himself upright. Eventually later that day the sick looking Cory started to swim like a maniac around the top of the tank and at some point started floating. One weird thing about him was that he had a red barble (Whisker) and a red spot near his tail.
He died at around 4:00pm (We got them at 10:00am) and we took him in to get a replacment. We brought home one replacment and put him in the tank and he was fine exept one of the original Cory Catfish.
The smaller of the origional two was hanging out in the tank heater. We tried prodding him a little to see if he was ok and he swam around and then went right back to that spot behind the heater. We thought nothing of it and fell asleep. I woke up to find him floating on the top of the tank dead. The other two (New one and Bigger Original one) Were still alive but it seemed that the other guys didnt make it.
I am planning on taking him into the pet store and getting 3 new ones because I did read that they need to be in groups. The only problem is that I dont want another dead Cory. I dont know if it is the store or us, Every Cory we have gotten came from the same local PetSmart but I dont know if it is that or not.

Water Perameters:
PH, 7.2-7.6
Ammonia, 0
Nitrite, 0
Nitrate, 5
If you would Like to see a picture of the tank I have it in a thread 'Help with new Mystery Snails',(I think thats what its called)

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
Update, Sorry this is a little late at night. The new Cory Catfish we got today are doing fine. We ended up getting 3 new Cory Catfish which gets us to 5 Corys. They are bright and active and ate a whole algae wafer within 45 minutes. There is one Cory that does have an injured fin though it seems to be able to get around just fine. Along with the Cory Catfish we got 5 Mollies to go with them since we havent been able to find a reliable breeder of Tetra. I will try to update this thread tommorow. (I do think that the Corys passed away due to stress I would just like a second opinion)

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
Update #2, One cory Catfish is not doing very well today. I woke up and everyone was doing fine and it wasnt untill about 9:00 that one of the corys started floating. He isnt dead and is acting a lot like the other Corys before they died. I did realize that he has a tiny white spot on his front fin and doesnt seem to be able to open it. I saw this same white spot on another Cory that is doing fine and can sort of open his fin. Is this Ich or some other type of Fungus? I would very much like somone to answer this thread even if you dont entirly know what is going on. (The Mollies and Gourami are getting along pretty well aside from the occasional fight)

I don't know. I think your fish might die, mine was like that..
You should still talk to your vet about the other one. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
He did end up dying, Im not too sure what caused it but the other fish are still doing fine. I will be heading to the store to pick up some Ich-X or somthing to maybe kill any fungus or sickness that is affecting them.

Good choice. :) You might want to do a water change and watch the other fish with the spot on its fin too. I could be contagious. Where did you get them?

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
I got them from a local Petsmart. I dont trust them quite as much as the Winchester Aquarium we go to but they are closer and had all the same fish. I just did a 30% water change and everyone looks good. We havent had great luck with the Petsmart, Most of the fish we have gotten from them have been sick or injured like the Cory that died this morning who I think had a broken fin. I will update again tommorow!

Probably why. Petsmart does not have the best reputation with animals and where they breed them. That's great that the rest look good!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Yeah, I’ve had bad luck with bottom dwellers in the past. Usually it’s just stress that kills them. Your tank sounds perfect.

Corys do need schools to feel comfortable. They can be kept groups of 3 or so, but it’s easier for them to get stressed out that way. It’s usually recommend to have at least 6.

Sometimes getting shipped across several states and put into a crappy pet store tank, only to be moved again a few days later is to much for a fish to handle.I’ve learned the hard way to always get 1-2 extra when buying a school of something.

For the living fish, I would recommend a really really mild dose of salt and some praziquantel. That is usually what I quarantine fish with. I use Hikari prazi-pro, but API general cure has praziquantel in it too.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
We lost another Cory today. Honestly Im kinda giving up on them, We have had 6 now and only have 3 left. I cant even say if they look fine or not because I said that last time and one died anyways. The one that died was the Cory with the growth on his fin so it may not have been stress that killed him but its kinda hard to tell. At this point all of our Mollys and Gourami look good so no problems there. I was thinking about either trying out Kuhli Loaches or Amono Shrimp if the Corys all end up passing away.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
This will hopefully be the last update on this thread for me. All the fish look ok so far (I know I say that every time). The Corys ate an algae tablet and some shrimp pellets with some help from the mollys. The Pearl gourami did get a little fat since I have never fed these foods before I didnt know how much to feed and when throughout the day. We are now on a schedual and feeding a bit less than last time since all three gourami looked like they were pregnant! Anyways, Hopefully we shouldnt have to buy any more fish!🤞

Thankfully they survived! I hope this is the last update too. (well i mean about unwell fish, I would love to hear about you healthy ones)

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I would recommend quarantining the next fish you get in a small tank or tub with a light dose of salt and steeped almond leaves (no light, just heating) so they can de-stress before getting put into a new tank. It might reduce the casualty rate and it will make it so they won’t get the other fish sick with anything they could be carrying.

I’ve been quarantining all my fish lately and I find it super helpful. You can keep an eye on your fish better and it’s easier to treat things before they get to bad.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
All of the fish are alive as of now and are doing quite well! I don’t currently have a tank or tub that i can use for fish though it doesn’t look like I’m going to need new fish any time soon🤞🏻. In addition to that, our snails did lay eggs the other day. They won’t be hatching because we don’t have a closed lid on the aquarium. Anyways, thank you to everyone who helped on this thread!