Coughing Problem

CotondeTulier

Hi- my doggie is coughing constantly and deeply. I got a lung and heart X ray 10 months ago and it was clear- no problems. I got a valley fever test and came back no problems- she does not have valley fever either. I tried allergy medicine, and it seemed to help for a while. However, under the same allergy meds, even with increased dose, the cough is back. She coughs so hard she throws up bile sometimes. I am not sure it was allergies. What are the other possible options for why she is coughing like this? What would you do?

TTouch

.First though is fluid on the lungs, but you have checked that and it seems it is clear.......

Second thought is gut/immune system issues and that will depend on what you are feeding your dog, kibble ( processed food) and the dog is reacting to one of the many of the often useless and unfit to feed any dog processed ingredients, adding ' allergy medicine ' makes that worse it stops the immune system working at optimum levels and bringing up bile suggests an unbalanced gut issue.

CotondeTulier

Original Poster
Interesting. I would not have thought gut/immune system. She is hard to please with food. She stops eating after a while for sheer boredom of food, and yet her stomach has always been weak in that she cannot handle food changes. So it is a dichotomy- she must have variety and different foods and she cannot handle them well. I have been putting lots of probiotic powder on them. No- I do not have time to cook for her unfortunately. I must buy the food. I usually buy whole foods brand for small dogs and the "Fresh pet" refrigerated stuff, and I vary it and mix in some canned food that says it is for digestion and pro biotic powder.

TTouch

I feed raw and bone, so I know what I am giving my dogs, once you have researched percentage quanities meat/organs and sourced the products, eg local chicken farm, so eggs and chickenI chop up or buy legs/wings (plus I sometimes get some carcasses after they filet the meat) local butcher who is also a local farmer, for Ox heart ( as a muscle it is classed as meat not offal), liver, kidney, tongue and bones, local fish monger who saves all the fish skins for me I can dry them, roll as 'treats' or chop up and freeze also whole oily fish... realistically once a week for an hour sorts out everything for the week meals and I know they are well fed and have no unnatural additives and I know of no dog who turns their noses up at real meat/organs.

My 14 year old had a major op as few weeks ago, along with the worry of an older dog going under anesthetic I told the vet to check her teeth and if she was doing well to sort out anything required, Vet decided to remove some teeth rather than just clean them as could see potential issues happening 6 months or so from now, so I cooked her 'raw' to make it easier for her to manage her food and a simular thing happened to her, she started to cough and bring up bile.... which was an 'intergestion' problem as raw fed dogs have an acid gut which is the natural state where as kibble/canned fed have an alkaline gut and home cooked is somewhere inbetween ( depends on what is fed) and it was the imbalance of changing her gut from acid to alkaline that caused the issue....she is now back on raw and thriving again ( no one has ever told her she is 14 yrs old)