Cytopoint is it safe ????????

Jharri

Our day an 8 year old old English bulldog was itching excessively . Took him to his vet and they recommended a dosage of cytopoint . This was on july
12 2001 . The shot relieved his itching very quickly . A couple weeks after this we noticed some change in his appetite and he was somewhat lethargic . Trying to find out what was wrong and found that these were somewhat normal side affects . Was scheduled for another shot Monday august 9th which we were going to decline but still take him to the vet to see what was wrong . Friday our dog was acting strangely went up and got in our bed which he never did until we went to bed . Next day was ok but he was not himself . Went out Saturday night with him to his usual bathroom spot he went to the ground and never got up . Carried him into the house , he struggled to breath and then passed . I was shocked .
Did some research sadly after the fact and found that Cytopoint has been linked to IMHA which is Immune medetated hemolytic anemia . This is almost always fatal to dogs. Looking back our dog had all the side affect of this condition . We thought the injection was safe it was not . Has anyone experienced similar problems with using this medication . The vet never mention this a a possible problem and now our dog is dead and we are devestated

TTouch

So sorry for your loss.
Cytopoint is a new medication and licensed from 2017 for use however it seems there has been very little research about its side affects, is an expensive and ( to me) it seems vets are being encouraged to use it and continue to test within the field, which suggests owners are paying financially and taking the risk with their pets.
I have read lots of queries from people who have lost their pet after its use, many who have found it a magic wand' treatment first /second time it is used and then get the ultimate reaction and lose their pet. My advice is complain IN WRITING to your vet about this medication and its obvious deadly side affects AND make a complaint to the agency in your country that deals with animal medications If you google "Animal adverse reaction to medications " and your country each country has online reporting processes in place

For example US report to Veterinary Medication errors https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/veterinary-medication-errors

Sorry for your loss it is hard to lose your special companion, And Cytopoint in my eyes is just pure evil. I wish there was more awareness spread about it

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum.

You are right. Cytopoint is a dog killer that vets administer only because the manufacturer, Zoetis, gives them financial incentives. Of course since the vet gave it to your dog, he/she will never admit that is the cause. No veterinarians would want to admit they were wrong.

Zoetis sponsored one three-month study on a small number of beagles, so vets have no information about the risk of IMHA for English bulldogs. I would want to see them study all canine breed sizes and activity levels for any drug - and most importantly, independent long-term studies before even submitting any information to the FDA.

Tuck'sMom

Our day an 8 year old old English bulldog was itching excessively . Took him to his vet and they recommended a dosage of cytopoint . This was on july
12 2001 . The shot relieved his itching very quickly . A couple weeks after this we noticed some change in his appetite and he was somewhat lethargic . Trying to find out what was wrong and found that these were somewhat normal side affects . Was scheduled for another shot Monday august 9th which we were going to decline but still take him to the vet to see what was wrong . Friday our dog was acting strangely went up and got in our bed which he never did until we went to bed . Next day was ok but he was not himself . Went out Saturday night with him to his usual bathroom spot he went to the ground and never got up . Carried him into the house , he struggled to breath and then passed . I was shocked .
Did some research sadly after the fact and found that Cytopoint has been linked to IMHA which is Immune medetated hemolytic anemia . This is almost always fatal to dogs. Looking back our dog had all the side affect of this condition . We thought the injection was safe it was not . Has anyone experienced similar problems with using this medication . The vet never mention this a a possible problem and now our dog is dead and we are devestated
My dog received the shot on Monday and has had severe side effects since then. He cannot keep any food down since the night before the shot. Vomiting, bloody diarrhea, lethargy, loss of balance, confusion and has started to itch again. I took him to my vet again yesterday and she gave him a antibiotic that I gave and he threw up. Please do not take a chance on this drug, it is not worth it.

Reactions: Pbt

Pbt

So sorry for your loss.
Cytopoint is a new medication and licensed from 2017 for use however it seems there has been very little research about its side affects, is an expensive and ( to me) it seems vets are being encouraged to use it and continue to test within the field, which suggests owners are paying financially and taking the risk with their pets.
I have read lots of queries from people who have lost their pet after its use, many who have found it a magic wand' treatment first /second time it is used and then get the ultimate reaction and lose their pet. My advice is complain IN WRITING to your vet about this medication and its obvious deadly side affects AND make a complaint to the agency in your country that deals with animal medications If you google "Animal adverse reaction to medications " and your country each country has online reporting processes in place

For example US report to Veterinary Medication errors https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/veterinary-medication-errors
This is what I’m trying to find more information on as my dog is sick now after having his 2nd infection