Cytopoint issues.

Lisa H

I have seen many people talkin about the use of cytopoint. My dog just had her first injection 5 days ago. Within 48 Hours she went into anaphylactic shock. Has anyone else had this reaction?

CatMom1994

After reading all the negative reports of this drug, why would you give it to your dog?
The problem is there are no reports. So many people come here for help because when they type "Cytopoint" in search boxes this site comes up. I tried it once. It is nearly impossible to find real information about the drug's "safety" issues.

Lisa H

Original Poster
people should do their research before taking it not after.
There's no reason to be rude. When I did research cytopoint has flooded Google with just their information which makes this seem like a wonder drug. I did not find this site until after she got sick and my Google search then consisted of can cytopoint kill your dog. That is the only way I found anything negative about cytopoint.

linda2147

not meant to be rude the vet should have told you that all meds have some side effects and the cytopoint had only been tested on a few dogs not a large enough number to conmsider it safe for all dogs. And when not enough animals had been tested for any adverse reactions then basically your dog was a test subject.

CatMom1994

Linda, if vets knew about the side effects of Cytopoint, they would refuse to buy it from the manufacturer. They learn nothing except the results of one three-month study on beagles.

strout_1977

I have seen many people talkin about the use of cytopoint. My dog just had her first injection 5 days ago. Within 48 Hours she went into anaphylactic shock. Has anyone else had this reaction?
Hello Lisa,
I am so sorry to hear that your dog had that reaction to Cytopoint. I was in the same position as you in January 2020. I actually found this forum and made a post about it at that time. My Maltese, Bella, passed away due to IMHA- which is an autoimmune response that makes the dog’s immune system attack it’s own red blood cells- after receiving Cytopoint. The emergency vet that I took Bella to asked me if she had a vaccine recently and I told her she had Cytopoint about two weeks before symptoms of IMHA. There is some kind of toxin in the vaccine that is not safe because the emergency vet actually told me that they had seen a couple of dogs recently with same issues after vaccine. I did not research the shot before I let them give it to my dog either. I trusted my vet who played this drug up to be a wonder drug. I never in a million years thought a prevention drug or treatment for something could actually cause death. The whole ordeal was heartbreaking and eye opening. I now research all medications and vaccines that I give to my pets, my child, and myself. It was a hard lesson learned but I told myself I will now be empowered by doing my own research and making informed decisions about these issues. Again, I am really very sorry about your experience. Prayers for you!

Last edited: