Cytopoint losing effectiveness

APafDog&CatMom

My dog is not being helped by her third cytopoint shot.

The first shot was after she had scratched her entire back bald within 36 hours. I am low income and holistically minded, but this was a serious medical emergency.

The first visit the conventional vet gave us Temeril, told me to bathe her every week with an oatmeal shampoo, and recommended kibble and a prepubertal gonadectomy.

That's okay; I was a new client and this is either the best conventional vet in my area or the only one that's worth anything, depending on who you ask. I can play the game. When the Temeril ran out, I asked for a refill and got it. When it started to run out again, I hoarded a few days worth and made an appointment for another office visit.

This was when Laurel was given her first cytopoint shot, an antibiotic shot for a secondary skin infection, and drops for her ear infection. It seemed like we were on the right track. I was able to take her clothes off without fear of finding a puddle of blood where the puppy used to be and we were able to get on with our lives.

I did find a holistic vet and took her in for a second opinion. My opinion was that this practice is excellent and the vet's opinion was that Laurel's ear infection wasn't resistant to the antibiotic but that her cytopoint shot was wearing off.

I didn't want to believe the new vet, but she was right. Laurel scratched all of the fur off her chest while I was waiting for the conventional vet to get back to me about whether she could get another cytopoint shot as a drop-in, since my car was out of commission and I couldn't get to the holistic vet.

The second shot was less miraculous than the first, but I attributed that to fleas and felt relieved that I could continue to use orange oil, daily flea combing, and weekly baths to control them instead of Nexguard. This was, of course, before I knew how deadly cytopoint can be. We had used up all the hoarded Temeril and I didn't want her to suffer again because of my naivite and idealism.

Seven weeks after the second shot, she was suffering enough for me to make an appointment with the holistic vet, who was also able to do a drop-in. This was after everybody had to go on flea meds for the sake of the baby kitten: Comfortis for Laurel, Cheristin for the kitten, and Nexguard for my other dog, who I haven't been able to afford to take to the holistic vet yet.

I was charged less by the holistic vet, so perhaps it was a smaller dose, but two weeks later I see no improvement whatsoever. Laurel isn't dead and she hasn't scratched herself red and raw and bloody yet, but there is no miracle from this miracle drug.

My other dog is also starting to itch badly enough that it affects her quality of life. She has had a recent fecal analysis, so her issues with diarrhea/soft stools might be related to allergies as well. She does have anxiety, but I declined doggie prozac at the conventional vet and was not offered any alternatives there.

So we're back to square one. I've got enough colloidal silver to spray on Laurel, the atopy dog, at half strength twice a day to see if that works and I'm also going to do some deep cleaning of my house. Laurel did better when we were spending the majority of our waking hours hiking in public parks, but the car and my credit card bill aren't going to be able to handle that as a long term lifestyle.

I don't think she will be getting a fourth shot. I need to document my experience for others as well as using my limited resources wisely to find an alternative treatment plan for this amazing little dog who is currently dry nursing a baby kitten although she has never had puppies of her own.

That's just what Laurel is like. She loves and nurtures everybody. She deserves better than a killer drug that doesn't even work.

/rant over

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
It looks like you did not realize Cytopoint is designed to be given every 4 weeks. But it should be effective up to 8 weeks. Obviously Laurel is not a candidate for the shot if it is not working for her at all.

The holistic vet is more helpful because conventional vets are not trained to suggest or prescribe safer alternatives such as colloidal silver that are also much cheaper. Your conventional vet should have suggested Apoquel though (some people recommended it in Cytopoiunt threads).

APafDog&CatMom

Original Poster
Laurel was too young for Apoquel. It can only be given to dogs over a year old and she will be twelve months the day after tomorrow.

I never wanted to give her Apoquel. It's an immune system blocker. However, her last cytopoint shot was two weeks ago and she is already scratching huge, red, ugly marks on her chest. The first Cytopoint shot was given in conjunction with an antibiotic for a secondary bacterial skin infection and the ear medicine and I was given some hope that it would "cure" the problem.

I was aware that Cytopoint can be given every four weeks, but eight weeks was recommended for Laurel. I waited longer than eight weeks for the second shot and less for the third. I am low income and am very sad that my dog is probably going to die because I can't afford the testing and treatment she needs for her allergies. She is a mixed breed who isn't worth any money, so rehoming her is not likely to help.

I agree that the holistic vet is worth what it is costing to fix my car. We are trying colloidal silver right now and even though I don't see much improvement in Laurel yet, I did see noticeable improvement in what I believe to be a bacterial skin infection on my own hand.

I think I need to make an appointment for another office visit. I'm not ready to lose her yet.

APafDog&CatMom

Original Poster
you know the silver can be given internally as externally.
It would certainly last a lot longer that way; might be the most efficient use of the resources I have.

Chocolate, my bigger dog, is not on Cytopoint but her loose stools might be a reaction to the same allergen and she has started itching way more than normal dogs do.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I was aware that Cytopoint can be given every four weeks, but eight weeks was recommended for Laurel. I waited longer than eight weeks for the second shot and less for the third. I am low income and am very sad that my dog is probably going to die because I can't afford the testing and treatment she needs for her allergies. She is a mixed breed who isn't worth any money, so rehoming her is not likely to help.

I agree that the holistic vet is worth what it is costing to fix my car. We are trying colloidal silver right now and even though I don't see much improvement in Laurel yet, I did see noticeable improvement in what I believe to be a bacterial skin infection on my own hand.

I think I need to make an appointment for another office visit. I'm not ready to lose her yet.
Why are you worried about losing Laurel? If the bacterial infection is her worst problem, she will be okay after getting tue proper treatment.

NO DOG is worth any money. They are PRICELESS! Do you remember the old Mastercard commercials?

linda2147

It would certainly last a lot longer that way; might be the most efficient use of the resources I have.

Chocolate, my bigger dog, is not on Cytopoint but her loose stools might be a reaction to the same allergen and she has started itching way more than normal dogs do.
both dogs should be taking a probiotic, that will help with the loose stools and if you give the silver internally you Must give the dog a probiotic as the silver will kill ALL bacteria, even the good bacteria in the gut. A dog's health originated in the gut, you have to keep the gut healthy