Cytopoint reaction

Seag

My 10-year-old golden retriever was diagnosed with spinal meningitis three years ago. She has been doing well with a maintenance dose of cyclosporine 100 mg every 12 hours. Last month she developed extreme itching and shedding . Her veterinarian recommended an injection of Cytopoint. Her neurologist said that there was not enough research to say one way or another about possible reactions.

Her injection was last Thursday afternoon. She has seemed fine until last night. She is extremely lethargic and will not eat. She appeared to be having some problems focusing and walking. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome Seag, sorry to hear about your dog. There are quite a few threads here on the negative effects of the Cytopoint shot, just click on Search in the upper right corner and search for the word in a title. I personally will never give that shot to my dog after hearing the stories.

I hope your dog gets better and it's nothing too serious going on. Good luck to both of you.

My dog gets some seasonal allergy problems with itching, and I've just been using a special shampoo and conditioner, giving him Dinovite in his food and an occasional touch of light olive oil. Also regular brushing, pretty much daily. He only gets it 3 or 4 months in summer though.

linda2147

a ten year old dog should NOT be getting any shots of any kind. At that age the immune system is not what it used to be and those shots stimulate the immune system which is not a good thing at that age. Also you should be giving a probiotic daily to help keep his digestive system healthy

DogLoverNick

Hi sorry to hear about your golden retriever:/ I am not totally educated on how effective shots are at that age of a dog but you can also try adding supplements to her diet if you haven’t yet to help to make her more comfortable and happy. There are alot of good options out there, that gives dogs the nutrients it needs , definitely at such an old age. Consider trying Buddy Custard, a combination of flax seed oil and cottage cheese that has been shown to provide many benefits, especially for aging, ill dogs. Look them up and see if it'd help. My dog found it very delicious, and always eats it all up (Easier than some of the other brands I’ve tried where my dog resisted to eat because of the taste) I hope everything turns out good for you and your golden retriever!

wombat

Sorry to read about your Golden Retreiver Seag,I have warned my Daughter and Granddaughter about the dangers of cytopoint.

strout_1977

Hello Seag, I just posted on another thread about what recently happened to my dog after receiving Cytopoint. 2 weeks after the shot she became weak and started walking slowly with hind legs giving out. She also didn’t want to eat. Took her to the Er and was diagnosed with IMHA, an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks red blood cells and causes severe anemia. A blood transfusion and many meds did not save her and she died after a week of fighting this disorder from a blood clot. The vet asked me if she had recently received a vaccination and I told them about the Cytopoint two weeks before. Before this shot, my baby was a happy, healthy dog whose only issue was itchy skin from allergies. This caused her to go downhill really quickly. I’m sorry your dog is not feeling well and I pray that your baby recovers quickly! If I ever get another dog I will definitely research vaccines before I let someone give them to my dog.