Cytopoint

CatMom1994

OK, but I was going by the original post date.

Anyway, so many threads have been started about Cytopoint I am sure it is the most popular topic on the forum. Can you imagine how long one of them would be if they were all merged?

Nala Trell

Hello,

I have a nightmare story I would like to share about our experience with CYTOPOINT. I have a 2.5 year old pit/lab mix. He developed skin allergies this past fall, and was given Beneddryl, Zyrtec, prednisone etc. every time the script was up the symptoms would return. Finally the vet suggested the cytopoint injection which he would need every 4-6 weeks and posed minimal to no side effects. He had his first injection on 1/23/18, itchiness gone and no side effects! Went for his second injection, and about 2 weeks later we noticed his tongue was pale and he was lacking his normal energy. One day we came home he literally collapsed when he came to greet us. We rushed him to the vet, and his red blood cell count as at 17%, normal is at least 37% and a transfusion is recommended @10-12%. We had about $1000 worth of tests done- snap, tick Pannel, echo, ultrasounds, xrays for tumors, blood tests for cancer - ALL NEGATIVE. He was essentially diagnosed with non-regenerative anemia caused by autoimmune disease. So basically his body was killing his red blood cells, ironic that CYTOPOINT is a biological
Treatment that works with the immune antibodies and proteins on the red blood cells. He was put on immunosuppressants and prednisone to try to rebuild his immune system.

2 weeks go by and no real response to the treatment. He goes for his check up and his count is down to 12%. At this point the injection is about 7 weeks in his system.... the bed upped the dose of prednisone.. 2 days later he was barely moving and his breathing was very slow. We took him to a veterinary hospital where his RBC. count was down to 10% and an emergency blood transfusion ($1500 and 2 nights in the hospital) was done just to buy us some time. They ran the same tests and still no cause found, the last thing they offered was a bone marrow biopsy to see if he was still producing RBC’s or if it was terminal. ($1600). The results came back and he was still producing RBC’s but his body was killing them. They added an antibiotic to the treatment. When he left the hospital he was at 19% RBC count, 2 days later we took him back and he was up to 23% which was the only improvement we have seen and the shot was now at 8 weeks in his system. His next check up he was at 25%.

We are trying to remain optimistic that he will keep increasing and we can have our baby back. Our world revolved around this dog and we agreed we would stop at nothing to try to make him better. It was truly the most heartbreaking thing we have ever been through. Both our vet and the hospital cannot confirm that CYTOPOINT is the cause of all of this but i truly believe it was, especially after reading several stories. I do not recommend this shot to anyone and truly hope no one ever has to go through what we went through with our baby.

I am interested to hear more similar stories, hopefully we can get this drug off the market and stop acting as the guinea pigs for this drug
I have an 11 year old pitchow female. She has nerve damage from an injury 5 years ago, I have been treating her nerve damage with nerve tonic (herbal) ( miracle herb) just recently she got this blackish blue rash on her back legs and groin area took her to vet and prescribed thyroxine for low thyroid, plus gave her 2 injections of cytopoint for itchy food allergens and Royal canine urinary so dry food for a uti. So then took her back because rash was getting worse n she became incontinent, peeing excessively. Saw a different vet, he stated it's not a food allergy, but just from low thyroid. To give her 1 pill every morning n benadryl twice a day for itchiness. Rash is clearing up, eating good but still peeing excessively, this morning 10/12/20, took her out for morning walk, she went pee pee, n threw up yellow fluid plus clear liquid. No feces, After that it has been non stop all day, I made her chicken n rice and she wouldnt touch nothing. Here it is 12:00 midnight and she just threw up again for the 12th time. I have appointment at vet tomorrow Tuesday 10/13/20, so I am wondering if this has anything to do with cytopoint injection. Has anybody on here experience these specific issues with cytopoint? Please get back with me. I am so fearful of waking up to a dead dog. I will be sleeping very lightly tonight. Plus will be praying . Any suggestions would be very grateful. Sincerely Nala Trell