dandruff in dogs

Rahul

my dog has some dandruff near his spine and near his back what should i do? there is dandruff near his front elbows as well. i apply coconut oil near his elbows which helps and reduces the dandruff what should i do.

TTouch

A variety of things can cause dandruff in dogs from a genetic condition to an underlying medical issue but it can be a simple enviroment issue which often happens in the winter months with their skin being too dry..... the natural oil the dog produces, your dog's skin includes sebaceous glands that produce sebum, an oil that helps to keep the skin moist and flexible. When these glands produce too much sebum, it causes an imbalance in the skin and can go on to cause itching as the skin cells build up and flake.......

Check first for what is called 'walking dandruff' which are Cheyletiella mites which are large enough to be seen with the naked eye, and look very similar to white dandruff flakes. An improper diet can cause your dog to miss out on nutrients that he needs to keep his skin and coat healthy. Make sure that your dog is eating a high-quality, balanced dog food. Fatty acids such as omega-3s and omega-6s play a role in skin health, Could be a skin infection or allergy although these often include ear infections, paw biting and scratching.
Grooming is imprortant if it is just drying skin, as that can remove the dandruff as well as keeping the skin in a better condition so no fungal/bacteria infections start. If occasional dandruff, it's probably nothing to worry about but if he is itching, it smells, if there is excessive amounts of dandruff, redness or hair loss you need to get him vet checked.

linda2147

try mixing a tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat to his food daily. this is all the vitamins and minerals he could be missing in his diet. I'd also give him a fish and skin tablet for a little extra boost and its also good for his heart.