Developed an allergy to my Guinea Pigs

Busmith

New member
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
I rescued 2 white male boars from an animal research center (Magnus and Sparkie) that were set to be killed soon. I never had guinea pigs before but after hearing their availability for rescue from a room mate I decided to pitch in. I only displayed an allergic reaction to them about 6 months after owning them, and each passing month it’s been getting worse! Sometimes I can’t even be in the same room as them, which makes being social and tending to the pigs very difficult.

These little guys grew up in tiny cramped cages, I strived to give them a better life than what they had but my allergies just make it impossible. Magnus and Sparkie hate the outdoors, they get stressed under the sun and hate the feel of the grass beneath their feet. They don’t even like eating fruits or vegetables either!
I love Magnus and Sparkie, but I’m not giving them a good life. They’re not living like a true free guinea pig should all because i developed an allergy to them. I’ve considered giving them away to another guinea pig owner in hopes they would learn and be truly happy pets. But I’m unsure.

I guess I’m asking what is everyone’s opinion on my situation? If you suddenly developed an allergy to your pets that leave you sickly and in pain on sight, is it best to give them up? If you had to what would you do?
 

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Location
USA
Hello and welcome! It's great that you rescued these little guys, you're very kind. I guess I would have an allergy test first to be sure the guinea pigs are the cause of your allergies. It's possible that it's something else. I supposed you can take an allergy pill that would help you deal with them if they are the cause. In the worst case scenario, I would have to find them a loving home with caring folks who really want them and would take care of them. Would be terrible if they ended up being in a shelter again and killed. :( Good luck, please let us know how things are going.
 

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
Joined
Jul 5, 2020
I was 22 when I got my first pet. He was a cat named Beck (Love of my life!) When I got him it seemed ok for the first few days but after about a week I developed symptoms. My eyes got so itchy I gave myself pinkeye from rubbing them so much :/

I had fears for a while about having to give him up, and I was so attached to him already by that point. So I did take antihistamines to try and fight the symptoms. It took a year, but I finally developed a tolerance to him. I believe it was his specific dander that affected me because I've since had many other cats in my life and none have affected me quite to that level, although I do have to be pretty vigilant about vacuuming etc. The funny thing is that Beck would let me vacuum him lol, he wasn't at all afraid. Even got a vid of it, I watch it sometimes when I get sad about him being gone now. It helps cheer me up. I had him for 16 wonderful years.

I don't know if my post helps much, but if you love them I suggest trying to find ways to work around the allergy, and if it is still intolerable after exerting all possibilities, re-homing is the best bet for sure. The fact that you're even questioning it shows how much you care.
 
Last edited:

Busmith

New member
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I decided to rehome them since my allergies would only get worse from here on out, I managed to find someone who has a pasture of guinea pigs for them to roam and be among their kind. My living situation had them cooped up in a large tank just to keep our cats out so it’s a much better place for them. I’m glad to have saved my two boys and gave them a second chance in life, now theyre on their third, and final happy chapter.
 


Top