Do you think i should confront my neighbor because i think her might be hitting his puppy?

Nick1302

So 3 years ago when I got my dog, my neighbor came over. He and my mom are kind of friends. I was talking about how my dog likes to run off, and not come when called. He was talking about his dogs not running off anymore and how he "doesn't even have to hit them anymore" so he obviously hit them to train them. Anyways. The last time I talked to him, was about a year ago. He just called me asking if I want to make some money doing yardwork, and left a voicemail. At the end of its he said he got a new puppy. My heart sank, as I know hes probably gonna hit it. Should I go work at his house, and see if he hits the puppy? I dont want to but would I be a bad person if I didnt? I'd rather not associate with him at all.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
You are talking about opening an old can of worms. The only time to confront a person about it was three years ago.

Nick1302

Original Poster
You are talking about opening an old can of worms. The only time to confront a person about it was three years ago.
But even three years ago, he said he DOESNT even have to hit them anymore. He was implying that he had to hit his other dogs when he was training them. He got a new puppy. I'm worried hes doing the same with his puppy. Dont know if you caught that part.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Only talk to him about the new puppy. If your neighbor said he does not need to hit the dogs anymore because they died, that raises alarm bells. I don't think he would say that, then adopt a new puppy, who obviously needs a lot of positive reinforcement training.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Only talk to him about the new puppy. If your neighbor said he does not need to hit the dogs anymore because they died, that raises alarm bells. I don't think he would say that, then adopt a new puppy, who obviously needs a lot of positive reinforcement training.
The dogs are still alive

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
You don't know a puppy is being abused. There really is no reason to feel that way. Unless you can prove animal abuse is happening, you have no reason or right to get involved.

Nick1302

Original Poster
You don't know a puppy is being abused. There really is no reason to feel that way. Unless you can prove animal abuse is happening, you have no reason or right to get involved.
I could possibly prove it, but I would have to get involved first.

mechi2

You can't prove what you don't know, having a "feeling" isn't knowing. Just because the guy said he hit his dog in the past doesn't mean he is doing it now or that his "hitting" amounted to abuse, it could have been a swat with a newspaper and nothing more, so there is no moral obligation to do anything.

If you really want to help pets offer to volunteer at a shelter or rescue, they can always use a helping hand. But going out of your way to find something to accuse someone with will only hurt your relationship with others.

Last edited:

Nick1302

Original Poster
Nope, you can't even start to try it. The only thing you can do is what mechi said - butt out.
I'm not trying to make a big argument, butbtou said earlier to talk to him about the puppy. So you consider that butting out?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I mean talk friendly about the puppy - how old is it, what is its name, etc. When you talk to him, only focus on the puppy, not the old dogs.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Okay, so long story. A few years ago, I forgot why, but he said that he deosnt even have to look at his dogs to come to him anymore, and that they kiss know, and come, and that he doesnt even need to hit them anymore.

That stuck with me for a while. Well, he called me yesterday asking if I could come weed eat, he also said he got a new puppy. I was pretty sure he was hitting this puppy, as hes very old school. Before I went up there today, I called a deputy to report my neighbor. He said since I dont have proof hes hitting his dog, then they wont do anything.

I went up to my neighbors to weedwack, and do some investigating. He brought his puppy out to show me. The first thing it did was jump up on me. I casually said "this is what I did with my dog" I turned around, and ignored the puppy. He said "yeah, or just knew him or step on his hind paw.

I don't know if hes applying pain when stepping on his paw, or just holding it down. After that, I was talking about how good his puppies recall is. He said yeah, but sometimes you have to give em a slap across the head.

I straight up told him that I dont agree with that. He just said "well, that's what a trainer told me" (yeah, maybe 30 years ago). After that, I'm not 100% sure this is what her said. It might just be my mind making things up, but I think he said something like "sometimes you have to give em a pain, or hurt slap" maybe he said a "shock slap" o called the deputy with my new information. And if I should confront him further.

She said "well, some people can get defensive, and become violent, and I wouldnt want to tou to get hurt. You called us, and that's enough" I said that I would feel bad if I didnt confront him. and she said "that's completely up to you, I just don't want him to harm you" I dont really think he would harm me.

My dad knows him, and told me that hes known for going to bars, and bullying people, and start fights, and if hes willing to hit an animal, then I dont know what hed do to me. Shoudl I just lay off now, that I showed some concern when he talked about hitting a dog on the head? Shoudl I confront him further, even if I put myself at risk?

I know that if I witnessed him hit, and hurt his dogs, then I would say something. Whatever hes doing is working, as his dogs have always been very well behaved, but there are kinder ways to train a dog, and I feel like I should tell him that.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
The deputy is not your local, animal control officer. Her job is to protect the PEOPLE in her jurisdiction, not their pets.

Obviously you can protect yourself by not going to his house.

Nick1302

Original Poster
The deputy is not your local, animal control officer. Her job is to protect the PEOPLE in her jurisdiction, not their pets.

I'm only concerned what might happen if I confronted him about his cruel training methods, because while I doubt it, he knows exactly were I live, and I dont know what he might do.

Nick1302

Original Poster

Oh yeah, and I've tried to call animal control over, and over, but no answer. Thats why I called the non emergency police number.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
@Nick1302 , from all your threads here, you are either surrounded by animal abusers, or you just have a wild imagination and like to interfere in other people's personal business. As mechi mentioned already, it's better to stay out of other people's business and take care of your own pets.

If you actually witness an animal being beaten or mistreated, then you can document it with photos and report it to the authorities. Until then, if it were me, I'd mind my own business and focus on my own life and pets. You can't spend your life judging others, and imagining things in your head, it's really no concern of yours how people raise their pets unless they are being starved or beaten....then animal control will take over.

It might just be my mind making things up, but I think he said something like "sometimes you have to give em a pain, or hurt slap" maybe he said a "shock slap" o called the deputy with my new information. And if I should confront him further.
You're asking for advice here. You already questioned that your mind may be making things up, or at least blowing them out of proportion. I recommend you just mind your own business and stop obsessing about what other people are doing. You will be happier for it, and so will they. Did you ever think that just annoying them like you do might make them take it out on the dog after you leave? Think about it.

By the way, I merged your two threads because they were about the same topic.