Do you think i should start paying for my moms dogs anti inflammatory pills if i walk him on pavement, when i knew that could make his arthritis worse

Nick1302

Let me start out by saying, I swear to god I had good I intentions. My moms dog was diagnosed with some minor arthritis back in december, and had to take some anti inflammatories, when hes in pain. My mom rarely walks him. Maybe 1-2 times a month, if that, so I started walking him about 15 minutes a day, a few months ago. The street I walk him down is pavement. I read briefly that walking on pavement could possibly make the arthritis worse, but I also read that walking an arthritic dog helps free up thier joints, and prevents it from getting worse, and exercise in general is just good for the dogs health. Anyways, should I have my mon take him to the vet, to check on his arthritis? If it's gotten even a little worse, then should I start paying for the. Anti inflammatories?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
He is your mom's dog. She should be the one paying for his arthritis treatments.

If walking on pavement makes arthritis get worse, certainly the vet would know that. There is a lot of fake information online.

Nick1302

Original Poster
He is your mom's dog. She should be the one paying for his arthritis treatments.

If walking on pavement makes arthritis get worse, certainly the vet would know that. There is a lot of fake information online.
Because I asked this same question on another forum, and everyone jumped down my throat saying that I need to pay for the meds, because I intentionally hurt the dog, because I knew that it was bad for his arthritis, and that the dog was probably happy not being walked, and now hes not because I mad this arthritis worse. A LOT of people said that too, so I was thinking its true.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I can't believe anybody would accuse you of hurting a dog on purpose. Everyone here thinks you want to be an animal control officer.

Nick1302

Original Poster
I can't believe anybody would accuse you of hurting a dog on purpose. Everyone here thinks you want to be an animal control officer.
I'm sort with the people who accused me though. I read that walking on pavement could make it worse, but I see people walkingtherie old dogs on pavement everyday, and I thought the benefits outweighed the risk. I probably should have never walked him on the pavement, but my mom never walked him, and I felt obligated to, because I'm currently unemployed, so there was no reason I couldnt walk him, besides laziness. I genuinely thought I was helping him more then I was hurting him.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
The problem with pavement is a risk of paw burns on hot days. I don't know why it would be worse than a sidewalk for arthritis.

You will know if the problem gets worse when you see Remi limping during walks.

linda2147

arthritis is going to hurt no matter where he walks, just don't let him burn his feet on hot pavement or tar. when you get home soak his feet in epson salts that will be cooling and soothing to his feet but arthritis or not he still needs some kind of ecercise or he'll be so lame he won't be able to walk at all tell your mother to buy what he needs to keep him compfortable and keep walkingg him e