Do you think its odd a vet would recommend not giving anti-inflammatory meds every day to a dog with arthritis?

Nick1302

My mom has an 8 year old pit bull. She took him to the vet a few months ago. She said the vet said he has a little arthritis in his front paws, and the vet gave him some anti inflammatory meds for it. I know she gives them to him mostly when they go on really long walks, or when he plays real hard with the puppy. I was wondering if she was suppose to be giving the meds everyday. I asked her, and she said the vet said only when hes played real hard. I read the bottle, and it said "please give one tablet every 24 hours as needed for inflammation, and pain". I have noticed after he plays real hard, he will walk slowly up stairs, and has trouble getting up in the bed. I'm guessing my mom told them something around those lines, and they told her to only give it to him in those situations. Should I investigate this by calling the vet myself, or stay out of it?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
What is the medication? Usually if the directions say "as needed", it doesn't mean every day, unless of course needed. Your mother should be able to judge when to give it. She can also give supplements for arthritis like Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM, etc.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Would it be callous of me to just keep my mouth shut, and stay out of it, unless the dog is visibly in pain all the time?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Would it be callous of me to just keep my mouth shut, and stay out of it, unless the dog is visibly in pain all the time?
You never want the dog to be in pain for even a minute. Talk to her about giving him a pill before long walks and play sessions.

Nick1302

Original Poster
What is the medication? Usually if the directions say "as needed", it doesn't mean every day, unless of course needed. Your mother should be able to judge when to give it. She can also give supplements for arthritis like Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM, etc.
It's called
It's called carprofen. I'm pretty sure she doesnt give him any daily supplements, is because she cant afford it.

mechi2

Your Mom should listen to the vet and yeah you should stay out of it unless your Mom asks for help

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
It's called carprofen. I'm pretty sure she doesnt give him any daily supplements, is because she cant afford it.
That's the same as Rimadyl, that I gave my old dog years ago for arthritis. I was instructed to give once daily. If your mother has a question about what's written on the bottle, to give "as needed" or to give every day, she just needs to call the vet and clarify. I don't know what he recommended for her, only the vet can explain his prescription directions.

Nick1302

Original Poster
That's the same as Rimadyl, that I gave my old dog years ago for arthritis. I was instructed to give once daily. If your mother has a question about what's written on the bottle, to give "as needed" or to give every day, she just needs to call the vet and clarify. I don't know what he recommended for her, only the vet can explain his prescription directions.
Meh, I'll call they vet tomarrow, and ask. Hopefully they'll be able to give me the information. I'm afraid they told her to give it to him daily, but shes too cheap to do so.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Meh, I'll call they vet tomarrow, and ask. Hopefully they'll be able to give me the information. I'm afraid they told her to give it to him daily, but shes too cheap to do so.
@Nick1302 Let us know what the vet said after you called him. Is your mother too cheap to give the dog the pill every day, or can't she afford it?

If she can't afford the medicine, perhaps the vet can give her a higher dose, so she can give 1/2 pill daily and it might save her some money. She can also see if her vet does price matching, or perhaps get the prescription filled online by a cheaper company like PetMeds or other sites.

Nick1302

Original Poster
@Nick1302 Let us know what the vet said after you called him. Is your mother too cheap to give the dog the pill every day, or can't she afford it?

If she can't afford the medicine, perhaps the vet can give her a higher dose, so she can give 1/2 pill daily and it might save her some money. She can also see if her vet does price matching, or perhaps get the prescription filled online by a cheaper company like PetMeds or other sites.
I called, and they told me exactly what my mom told me, but I took him on 15 minute walk, and he seemed pretty stuff during the end. Also seemed to be limping up the stairs, which is strange, because the bet said he only has a little bit of arthritis. Looks like hes going to need to take them everyday.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
As long as the dog is in pain, he needs to take it every day.