Dog Aggression

v1nnie

I have a problem between my old and my new dog. Both are 3 years old female Shihtzu. Let's say my old dog is N, new dog is M. This will be a long story.

I adopted M from the old owner because they need to move house and can't take care of their dog anymore. M was raised alone in her old house, no interaction with other dogs. Has separation anxiety and afraid of rain. Whenever it's raining she will shake and try to climb up to higher place. The old owner said she already like this from 3 months when they adopted her, and they just hug her whenever it was raining.

After few days she came, M started circling and hounding N. N will try to avoid her eyes, but sometimes M will get into N face and start growling at her or attack her. That's when the fight begins.

At first we will separate them for 1-2 hours, we put M on the yard. But when she's back inside, sometimes M will attack again. N always just sitting and minding her own business. After this happen for few weeks, M started to calm down. No incident for 4-5 months. But suddenly she start again these last 2 weeks and even more often than when she came here. Today alone already five fights.

If we tried to let them fight it out, usually last about 15 minutes with M always losing, and she just bark at N. N will bark back and corner her and M will back away. Then N just sit and try to avoid M eyes again, but M start circling hounding growling and attack N again. Repeat again. The only time they don't fight is at night when we are all asleep.

M doesn't fight with N daughter. M is friend with the 1 year old female daughter, L. When the fight happen, L will bite M behind or leg, M will look behind for a sec, then back fighting with N again. M still play with L after fighting.

We tried favoring N because we want her to be the top of hierarchy. We give food and snack to N first, M doesn't mind and wait for her turn happily. L is the last. At first we thought M doesn't like N near me, because whenever N near me, M will climb to my lap and being possessive, N actually doesn't care and just sit there alone. So we just treat it as N doesn't care to be the top of hierarchy. But this last two weeks, M start attacking N whether she's near me or not. M even attack N when N is sitting or sleeping in her fave spot, under the dresser. Whenever I enter the room, M will immediately scan the room searching for N. I haven't been touching or caring for both of them lately, because that's when the fight start. M doesn't dare to attack N when my husband near and petting N. M doesn't get separation anxiety when I go out, but immediately scratching, whining and waiting at the door when my husband go out.

I can't separate them to different room because I have my own family condition. I tried fair treatment, preferential treatment, punishment, but the fight routine is still the same and escalating lately. Today both of M ears full of bite scratches, and she just poop soft bright bloody stool, then went to fight again, then pee normal pee, then fight, now both of them sleeping tired. They can sleep back to back and beside each other by themselves. N is fine as always, just little blood inside her mouth which always doesn't bother her at all. But I can feel this is stressing N, she will immediate tense and rarely move from her spot whenever M is in the room because M keep staring at her, watching her, circling her, rinse repeat.

TTouch

How often do you put these two dogs onto a lead and walk them?

"The old owner said she already like this from 3 months when they adopted her, and they just hug her whenever it was raining."

So they trained this dog to be afraid of rain!

"We tried favoring N because we want her to be the top of hierarchy "

This is not about what you want. it is about the natural pecking order in the pack

Sounds like you have 'tried this and tried that' and totally confused the dogs...........and ANY dog pooing/peeing blood need to be seen immediately by the vet as there is something wrong health wise..........and that might go a long way towards the reason for the fights as in a dog pack a dog that is ill is very likely to get attacked/killed as the 'pack' see an ill dog a weak and they see that it weakens the packs exsistance

Last edited:

v1nnie

Original Poster
How often do you put these two dogs onto a lead and walk them?

"The old owner said she already like this from 3 months when they adopted her, and they just hug her whenever it was raining."

So they trained this dog to be afraid of rain!

"We tried favoring N because we want her to be the top of hierarchy "

This is not about what you want. it is about the natural pecking order in the pack

Sounds like you have 'tried this and tried that' and totally confused the dogs...........and ANY dog pooing/peeing blood need to be seen immediately by the vet as there is something wrong health wise..........and that might go a long way towards the reason for the fights as in a dog pack a dog that is ill is very likely to get attacked/killed as the 'pack' see an ill dog a weak and they see that it weakens the packs exsistance
Nowadays, she still afraid of rain, but not shaking that much anymore and doesn't try to climb anymore. She just sit at one spot starring into wall. When we try to cuddle her, she will escape back to the spot, unless she come to us by herself.

They doesn't walk outside the property that much, I let them out playing 2 hours each at morning and evening, 30 minutes at night, so they could pee and poop outside too, not always inside. The area they play and run around is thrice the size of my house building. All these time, they only fight outside once, it's because they still tense after fighting inside and then it's their out time, then I was sitting or maybe standing near N while looking out for them playing around and to check if their poop/pee are good or not when they do it, M suddenly come running from the other side and fight again. Usually N more often sunbathing or napping after running around for 15 minutes, unless L ask her to play. M doesn't last that long too, after 20-30 minutes she will go to the door and start whining to get back inside. While L will bother whoever want to play with her or back to her toys when others are tired. L can play for the whole two hours, then sleep without care inside even if we move her around. Oh, whenever M and L play, N doesn't care. But when N and L play, M doesn't disturb them, but following and observing them.

The blood poop already got checked and already healed. Cut injury near the butt so pooping open the cut.

I tried the preferential for 3-4 days, then the rest is the fair treatment along with stay outside alone punishment until last Sunday. She doesn't like stay outside alone, she whine or sleep at the door usually. Monday they didn't fight, yesterday night once. We ended up leasing her for 2 hours until she calm down because she kept wanting to run to N place. N as usual doesn't care and continue her business.

She is still trying to search N everytime she noticed N is not at the previous spot she checked. Then when she found her, she will sit about 1-2metres from her for a while continue looking at her, then back to her napping spot. As long as M doesn't come near, N will just stay at the spot.

I tried to observe their peck of order after seeing N not care before, but I can't find it. N is calm and quite dog, doesn't care about anything as long as she's not disturbed. L is always active and cheerful and doesn't care too. M got jealous when we cuddle N or try to ignore her, but got arrogant when we cuddle her, like keep asking for cuddle and petting and purposely look at N while at it, N ignore her. Even N gave up her fave toy for M from the start, now it's M fave. They have some shared toys, but M got attached to that one only, we gave N new toy that she keep now as fave. But M seemingly not satisfied yet. I haven't find the correct way to discipline her behavior because all the treat and punishment seemingly have no effect.