Dog appears deaf after procedure

DHOLSTI

Hello,
My 12 year old border collie/husky mix had a ear infection, and what clued us in was she was shaking her head hard and ended up with an aural hematoma. Our vet who we’ve had for years and is very good said fluid aspiration wasn’t an option and he needed to put her under, cut a hole (pardon the probably inaccurate terms) clean it out and stitch is up. We were concerned with her age and anesthesia, but he assured us everything was ok. The first few days after she seemed tired, and then we noticed she wasn’t waking up when we come home, doesn’t come when we call her name, etc. I think she suddenly is deaf. I don’t think the procedure did it at all, but am curious about anesthesia causing it, I read it can (after the fact) but is very rare. I’m also wondering if her ear infection ruptured her eardrums? I’m calling the vet tomorrow, but this is bugging me so much and making me quite sad. Anyone heard of this before?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. I understand how you feel about this. What is your dog's name?

Where did the vet cut a hole in her ear? If it was in the eardrum, of course she would lose hearing on that side but not the other one. Anesthesia is repsonsible for making your dog tired, but should have been flushed out of her body much sooner. I don't want to scare you, but a blood test was supposed to be done first to make sure anesthesia would be safe because of her age.

DHOLSTI

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum. I understand how you feel about this. What is your dog's name?

Where did the vet cut a hole in her ear? If it was in the eardrum, of course she would lose hearing on that side but not the other one. Anesthesia is repsonsible for making your dog tired, but should have been flushed out of her body much sooner. I don't want to scare you, but a blood test was supposed to be done first to make sure anesthesia would be safe because of her age.
So they did full lab work before and it was fine. The hole was cut like outside her ear at the point if that makes sense. Her name is Blue.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Behind the ear where the the floppy piece (called a pinna) is attached to her head? That would be to avoid cutting through the eardrom to get into her middle ear. It would help if you can post before and after surgery pictures.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about Blue, I hope you can get some answers from the vet. Maybe this is just temporary? I don't know the reason this may have happened, I'd be interested in hearing what the doctor says about it. Good luck!

DHOLSTI

Original Poster
So the vet is pretty confident it was the ear drops, has a super rare side affect of deafness, he’s had 2, well now 3 cases in 40 years. One dog got their hearing back, one didn’t. We’ll see.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Good thing it was not caused by the surgery. Hopefully there is another kind of eardrop that will work for Blue.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
So the vet is pretty confident it was the ear drops, has a super rare side affect of deafness, he’s had 2, well now 3 cases in 40 years. One dog got their hearing back, one didn’t. We’ll see.
Wow, scary that drops would cause this. Hope your pup gets his hearing again. Thinking of you, good luck!