Dog Danger - Sidewalk Dog Electrocution!

McPuffin

New member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Wow, that certainly is a senseless tragedy that hits extremely close to home (literally, I'm from the exact neighborhood that this article is talking about... Queen Anne, which is really eerie... god I miss that place).

It just goes to show you that you aren't safe anywhere, and what if she (the owner) weren't wearing shock-proof shoes, or was walking around barefoot, or if she had a metal chain-link leash? She is lucky herself to not have been electrocuted. I mean walking around barefoot is rare, because its so cold here most of the time, but all the animals I've ever seen are barefoot, where as people typically have rubber-soled shoes on... so 1000s of people could have walked across this plate before this one unlucky, unprotected dog accidentally made contact with the electrified plate and let everyone know that this plate was dangerous. I've been shocked extremely badly before, and I've even been tazed, so I know how electricity feels... it is not a pleasant way to die at all.

I really miss Queen Anne, but its a bustling and busy area, and there is a lot of construction going on all the time in that neighborhood, and they are constantly digging wires up and putting new wires in and internet lines and all that good stuff, but it just takes one unprotected wire touching a piece of bare metal to create a lethal situation.

Never walk your dog over metal is the moral of this story I guess!

On an somewhat related note: Queen Anne is an awesome neighborhood, you just have to be careful! If I ever get the money, I want to move back! If you are considering moving to Washington, this neighborhood is highly recommended. Avoid Tacoma at all costs though. I regret moving here so much.
 

princess-sprinkles

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2012
thank you for the heads-up. What a terrible and frightening story. I would be absolutely devastated if something like this happened to my dog :(

Cannot believe that the city could be responsible for a mistake like that. ITs good that she has a blog to write her feelings about the incident and to memorialize her beloved pet though.
 

skarlett88

New member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Location
Canada
That is scary! and tragic :( but a good warning to be aware of what your pets (or you) are walking on. I go barefoot quite a lot during the warmer seasons, so now I will be more careful about where I'm walking. Thanks for this caution.
 

wombat

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Location
Australia
Very sad. I have also heard of a horse being electrocuted, by brushing up against a steel electricity pole, that was live.
 

yuppypup

New member
Joined
Jun 1, 2012
Wow, people getting electrocuted while walking around in streets is actually quite common? I thought they were extremely rare.. Hopefully I won't get too bad luck and get me / my dog electrocuted. I also don't use a metal leash, so I should be a bit safer.
 

chumm

New member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Location
Manchester, UK
What are the chances? I actually never knew this could happen. I always thought walking on the streets would at least be safe.. I'm really quite lucky to live where I do. I live out in the countryside so I don't really take him for walks on the street. Just watching that happen would break your heart..
 


Top