Dog Food Reviews and Ratings

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Here's a rating/review on Beneful dog food nutrition and ingredients...

May. 12, 2012
Beneful Dog Food Reviews

Top 5 Ingredients*

1. Ground yellow corn
  2. Chicken by-product meal
  3. Corn gluten meal
  4. Whole wheat flour
  5. Animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin e)
Artificial Ingredients
Yes
Contains By-products
Yes
Price Range
$
*Beneful® Original Dry Dog Food was selected as the recipe for this ingredient list

Our Analysis

The company offers two products lines, which are kibble and canned. There are six selections in their dry food category and . Out of the six kibbles, only four meet the AAFCO nutrient profiles, which are the minimum nutritional standards required for pet food, therefore, two do not meet the minimal standards. So even the Beneful website and packaging is appealing, the food does not live up to the marketing.

Beneful’s meat-based wet food comes under scrutiny, with sources of meat being unknown and considered ‘unfit for human consumption’. The byproducts of the food are considered inexpensive and low-quality, although a high protein percentage is present. Some of the meals contain rice, peas and barley which are considered nutritious, but these good ingredients generally do not outweigh the bad.

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/beneful/

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Kirkland Dog Food Review

This is the brand I've been feeding, since I'm a Costco member and it seemed to be a quality and moderately priced dog food.

May. 12, 2012
Kirkland Dog Food Reviews

Top 5 Ingredients*

1. Chicken
  2. Chicken meal
  3. Whole grain brown rice
  4. Cracked pearled barley
  5. Chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e)
Artificial Ingredients
No
Contains By-products
No
Price Range
$$
*Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula was selected as the recipe for this ingredient list

Our Analysis

Kirkland is Costco’s signature brand of dog food. This is a shame because you cannot buy this excellent product anywhere else. Kirkland Dog Food receives a high grade for its quality ingredients at a price that every one can afford.

All of the Kirkland dog food formulas are appropriate nutrition for dogs of all life stages and with various maintenance needs. The formulas each have a number of components in common, including animal protein.

The chief source of protein in these formulas is meat, either in the form of fresh meat or meat and poultry meal, which contains much more heavily concentrated protein.

Another prominent ingredient is brown rice, which is an easily digested complex carbohydrate and an appropriate ingredient for most dogs, although it can sometimes prove problematic in dogs with digestive issues. Barley is also included as a complex carbohydrate and is a good addition for blood glucose stability in dogs with trouble maintaining their own insulin levels.

Kirkland does not include probiotics in their formulas, but they do include brewer’s yeast, which is good for immune support in dogs that are not allergic to it. Overall this food is a higher-than-average quality premium food that is appropriate for most dogs, but may not be appropriate for dogs with sensitive digestive systems because of the inclusion of rice, barley and yeast.
Kirkland is a higher quality dog food than most of the supermarket brands and can definitely hold its own against some of the “higher-end” foods. This is an excellent choice for dog owners — even if you are not on a fixed budget.

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/kirkland/

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Nutro Dog Food Review

Looks like this a decent moderately priced dog food that contains no artificial ingredients or animal byproducts, but it would be better if chicken was the first ingredient...

May. 16, 2012
Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Top 5 Ingredients*

1. Chicken meal
  2. Ground whole wheat
  3. Wheat flour
  4. Ground rice
  5. Rice bran
Artificial Ingredients
No
Contains By-products
No
Price Range
$$
*Nutro MAX® Adult Natural Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe was selected as the recipe for this ingredient list

Our Analysis

Nutro Dog Food gets just an average rating from us. The Nutro Company makes three different lines of dog food: Nutro Natural Choice, Nutro Max, and Nutro Ultra. All of their formulas contain animal protein as the main ingredient, and some of the formulas contain flaxseed and sunflower oils, which are very good sources of Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coats.

The Nutro Natural Choice formulas are corn and wheat-free, making them safe for dogs that suffer from food allergies. The Nutro Ultra line uses rice as grain, which is easily digested and contains fibre. However, the inclusion of three different forms of rice may make these formulas a bit heavy on the carbohydrates.

We are not fond of the fact that the Nutro Max line uses corn gluten meal and wheat ingredients, which are nutritionally worthless for dogs, and could cause allergies. We recommend the Natural Choice line over the Ultra and Max lines, as it seems to contain higher quality ingredients.

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/nutro/

Goldfinch7

Not a very good review on Pedigree dog food, poor quality ingredients...http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/pedigree/
I naively switched my 2 year old CAV to Pedigree food one month ago, after reading a few good reviews but not researching thoroughly as I thought such a high end, pricey brand would be good. I was very wrong and won't be making that mistake again! He's put on a lot of weight in the last four weeks and seems to have had some sort of allergic reaction - he was sneezing, and snotty and his eyes where much weepier than usual (deffo not kennel cough as he's already had it and is vaccinated against pretty much everything else in the world!). The weight gain was quite alarming, considering the length of walks had not changed and he was being fed the right amount of food.

We've now switched him to Wainwrights lean meat and low fat Wainwrights kibble (he's fed a 50/50 mix) and he's doing brilliantly on it after just a week. We researched it thoroughly and think we've found the right thing for him.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
I naively switched my 2 year old CAV to Pedigree food one month ago, after reading a few good reviews but not researching thoroughly as I thought such a high end, pricey brand would be good. I was very wrong and won't be making that mistake again! He's put on a lot of weight in the last four weeks and seems to have had some sort of allergic reaction - he was sneezing, and snotty and his eyes where much weepier than usual (deffo not kennel cough as he's already had it and is vaccinated against pretty much everything else in the world!). The weight gain was quite alarming, considering the length of walks had not changed and he was being fed the right amount of food.

We've now switched him to Wainwrights lean meat and low fat Wainwrights kibble (he's fed a 50/50 mix) and he's doing brilliantly on it after just a week. We researched it thoroughly and think we've found the right thing for him.
Thank you for the update, and I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Some dogs can't handle too many grains. I fed my dog a high protein no-grain food one time, I think it was Wilderness brand, but I don't remember. Anyway, we noticed blood in his stool, I think it was too rich, too high protein for his system...the remainder of the bag went into the trash. Seems like even some expensive high quality, no-grain foods can have negative effects on some dogs.

I'm not familiar with the Wainwrights brand here in the US, but I'm very happy you're sharing your experience with it, great to hear those good reviews! :thanks:

justmesuzanne

Writer
I know lots of people will probably disagree with me on this, but I recommend plain, basic Purina Dog Chow. My family has been feeding Purina Dog Chow for over 50 years, and our dogs always live happily and healthily into their late teens or early twenties.

My father fed it to our dogs when I was a child, and I have fed it ever since, except for a period of time when I fed the Sam's Club version of it. That was the period of time when my old dog, Freckles, got hip dysplasia. My vet asked me if I had been feeding him the Walmart brand, Ol Roy, and said that this brand of food is the worst he has ever seen and that invariably the dogs he has seen who are fed Ol Roy have bone problems. When I thought about it, I wondered if Sam's and Ol Roy might not just be the same product packaged differently. I went back to Purina and haven't had any health problems with my dogs since.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
I agree about the Old Roy dog food, it's the worst, I use to feed it to my dogs when I was younger and didn't know any better. http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/ol-roy/. It even tested positive for phenobarbitol, because they were using euthanized sickly pets in the formula...not shown on the label of course. :mad: Since one of my dogs had health issues (cancer), I changed to much better quality foods. The Ol' Roy even smelled bad sometimes, and looked like the canned had pieces of fur in it on occassion.

Only foods I use now must have chicken, beef or lamb as the first ingredient, and no questionable ingredients or artificial preservatives like BHT. Stories about some stuff they put in the cheaper foods will curl your hair. :eek-new: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/shocking-truth-about-dog-food/

It's good that you've had success with Purina with your dogs. Sams is Walmart, and Walmart makes Ol' Roy, so I'm sure it was the same junk with a different label. I don't know if feeding a low quality food can cause hip dysplasia though. My dog had that, and the vet said it was most likely hereditary, or cause by a physical injury.

haopee

BACON of Light
I have to admit that I've only introduced dog food into their diet recently because it was a lot better than feeding them left overs all the time. 5 years ago, my mom would only feed our dogs left overs and that would include fish bones. Amazingly enough, all of her dogs died of old age. None of them had silky fur or solid builds, but not one of them had plaque or tumors either. I guess it's because my mom isn't a big fan of artificial preservatives in her diet. Therefore the ones being fed to them didn't contain any either.

This is the site where I often read dog food reviews. Dog Food Advisor

The dog food I feed my dog aren't as famous outside our country. It's Optima Lamb and Rice.

justmesuzanne

Writer
My vet believed that Ol Roy was lacking in minerals and that could cause hip dysplasia if fed over a long period of time. I had fed Freckles the Sam's Club "high dollar" food all his life because I thought it was better than Purina. He did live to be 17, but he was the only dog I ever had that had hip problems.

Goldfinch7

I'm not familiar with the Wainwrights brand here in the US, but I'm very happy you're sharing your experience with it, great to hear those good reviews! :thanks:
Wainwrights is the own brand food of the Pets at Home chain of pet stores, I don't know if you have them in the US. From everything I've read online and the advice we've got from other dog owners, it seems like a good quality food! He's only been on it for a week (two if you include the gradual change over week) so it will be a couple more weeks before we see the benefits!

lovemylittleboy

Sam's Club and Wal Mart are the same people. Yes they package their stuff differently. Dad's and Alpo are pretty bad foods too.
And yes the hip dysplasia is hereditary. My mom's St. Benard had that.. really bad. But the nasty dog foods probably didn't help at all.

linda2147

Personally I don't understand why everyone doesn't feed raw. Dogs on raw never develop food allergies, they grow at a more natural pace The poop is much better more like tootsie rolls then the piles of mud you get with commercial food. For those that don't know what rendered meat is, check it out, that is whats in most cheap dog foods.

lovemylittleboy

It just sickens me what they put in the food. How can those people sleep at night? I guess when you have no morals you can. I don't know. This is why I always always always tell people don't leave your dog with vet when he.she is gone always handle the business yourself. Take your pets to the crematory yourself or bring them home to bury. Please. If my mom would have known what we do now about dog foods she would roll over in her grave. And what happens to your beloved pets when you "let the vet handle it" .... she would have put herself under if she knew what happened to her beloved Ginger a really good girl she was for my mom she was a Cocker Spaniel. I don't even know how vets can do that! They are vets for pete sake they shouldn't have anything to do with the other business. But I guess money talks

lovemylittleboy

yeah raw is a good way to go. The vets always would just say they will miss some vitamins and minerals. And the worry of bacteria. I don't know. I tried raw a couple times but they really didn't seem to like it much. But of course it was too late for my Levi and Nyla likes the Ox Tails. If Levi had been on in from the time I had him as a young boy I may have been able to get him to eat it. I watched a show where the dog owner gave his show Golden Retrievers Raw Turkey necks in the mornings but I didn't catch what they got and dinner.
I tried that raw diet stuff twice from the Pet Store I forget the name brand but the dogs wanted absolutely nothing to do with it at all. And it stunk to high heaven. The rabbit did anyway....man it was gross. The trash got that.

linda2147

I grind my meat bones and all then I add honest kitchen for fruits and veggies and I add missing link for vitamins and minerals. Also give glucosimine and fish oil and a probiotic. She gets a pretty balanced diet. I also grind a tub or two of chicken livers, gizzards and hearts and make my own treats.

linda2147

not really, Sunday morning I grind enough for the week, put it in bowls to freeze, take out another as I use one. Just before feeding I add the honest kitchen and the missing link. I add the organ mixture when I'm grinding and mix it all together. She has a beautiful soft shiny coat so this diet agrees with her.

Commando Vault

The question I have whenever I read these "reviews" is just who is behind them and what is their agenda? As far as corn, or maize, goes, remember that it originated in the Americas where there have been dogs as long as there have been humans and they have been eating the foods their masters/companions provided. American dogs have been eating corn for centuries. Yes, corn is high in carbohydrates but so are rice and sweet potatoes. "Meat byproducts" merely means animal parts that are left over after the carcasses have been cut into steaks, chops and roasts. Until we started buying our meat at butcher shops or in grocery stores, Americans and Europeans consumed every possible part of an animal and gave the rest to their dogs. (Hunters still do.) This brings up another issue - yes, dogs sometimes had raw meat but most of the time they got whatever their human companions gave them, which was usually table scraps. The idea that raw meat is the traditional diet of dogs is mere myth. Even wolves eat other things besides meat (and the meat they do eat is not the healthiest animals they can find. No, they eat what they can catch which is the old, young and sick.)

linda2147

Dogs are Omnivores, they eat MEAT and get their "greens" from whats in the animal intestines. They are not cows, they don't eat cereal.