Dog forgot potty training?

Blue

Hello, I've had my Shi Tzu for about a year and a half now, and up until recently he used his pee pad regularly with no problems at all. Recently though, he sometimes uses the pad, and sometimes pees in areas around the pee pad, and sometimes next to the fridge and tables of the house. We thought it could have been that he doesnt like to use the pee pad multiple times, but he'll pee somewhere else even if its completely clean. It only happens with pee, he doesn't poo outside of the pad. We don't know what to do anymore, anyone have any ideas on how to help this?

rockabilly

Being a male, and coming of age, perhaps it is territorial? Dogs like to claim. Has he been fixed? I have never used pee pads, living in the Midwest, dogs go outside. I assume you are in a larger city. Perhaps its a attention thing? Hope this helps.

linda2147

Hello and welcome to the forum. If he's not neutered he's marking his territory, if he is fixed then you need to retrain him as if he were a young puppy. Crate him when you can't watch him or leash him to you. He is a small dog so you can litterbox train him and get rid of the pee pads.

Blue

Original Poster
Being a male, and coming of age, perhaps it is territorial? Dogs like to claim. Has he been fixed? I have never used pee pads, living in the Midwest, dogs go outside. I assume you are in a larger city. Perhaps its a attention thing? Hope this helps.
Yeah, I live in a larger city and work, so I only get to walk him on weekends, I'll look into getting him fixed, I was thinking that it could help. Thanks a lot!

Blue

Original Poster
Hello and welcome to the forum. If he's not neutered he's marking his territory, if he is fixed then you need to retrain him as if he were a young puppy. Crate him when you can't watch him or leash him to you. He is a small dog so you can litterbox train him and get rid of the pee pads.
I will definitely look into getting him fixed, I was thinking that could maybe be it. Thanks a lot!

linda2147

neutering will help only if its a marking thing, if its become a habit that's something else because neutering will not change his basic personality

Is he peeing normally? Straining? It might be worth talking to your vet just in case it is a urinary tract issue. Infections can cause frequent urination, incontinence, and even some confusion.

coco

If he is not neutered, it's normal for a male dog to mark his territory and leave his scent through peeing when he is in heat. If his behaviors really annoy you and affect your life, neutering could be a great option as it can reduce the risk of certain diseases and have many other benefits. Also, you could merely correct this behavior by positive reinforcement. It's important to stop peeing early as it can become a conditioned behavior.

gul.Impact

Is he peeing normally? Straining? It might be worth talking to your vet just in case it is a urinary tract issue. Infections can cause frequent urination, incontinence, and even some confusion.
I agree. The first thing to come to mind should be this. If it is not a health issue then you can start searching for other reasons and solutions. Always try to cross out health issues before you think about other reasons.

linda2147

If he is not neutered, it's normal for a male dog to mark his territory and leave his scent through peeing when he is in heat. If his behaviors really annoy you and affect your life, neutering could be a great option as it can reduce the risk of certain diseases and have many other benefits. Also, you could merely correct this behavior by positive reinforcement. It's important to stop peeing early as it can become a conditioned behavior.
Male dogs do not come into heat