Dog Killed Frogs!

PhoenixKoi

Last year in the start of covid my family and I decided to put a 65 gallon pond in our backyard. It was quite small and we have gotten it for 40 bucks on our way home from a soccer game. At the time we really knew nothing about fish so we just filled it up with water and put a filter in. After a while we had gotten fish and afew frogs had moved in. We had one very large green frog named Maggie and a male named Freddie and a small Bull Frog named Ferdinand.

After a few months Cami found one of the frogs and killed it. It was Freddie, We were devistated but swore it would never happen again. The next week another frog moved in and she killed that one too. after a while it was fall and my mom was collecting blueberrys from our blueberry bushes when we found Maggie dead under a leaf. It seemed Cami had injured her and she crawled away and died.

This was all very sad and we tried to get Cami to stop checking for frogs under the bushes where she would usually find them and tell her that behavior was bad but she never listened. In the winter we brought the fish inside since our pond was too shallow for it too not freeze all the way in the winter. Recently this spring we got a bigger 175 gallon pond and Set that up in place of our old pond. Just on Wenesday we put our fish out into the pond which we have been trying to do for weeks now.

The fish are fine at the moment and ate this morning. The problem was we had another frog. He moved in last Saturday and has been fine staying in the water and ripping all of our plants out. We even put a rock in there so he could bask while in the water so he wouldnt float on our plants. Though yesterday I went to check on the fish and Cami checked behind a bush and ran off with somthing in her mouth. I thought it was a cricket untill I heard a POP!

Aparently when frogs blow themselves up you can actually pop them and thats what Cami did. She had grabbed the frog and ran over and poped him/her. I know this is a little gross and sad but the frog had its guts hanging out but it was still breathing and Cami didnt want to finish it off. Whenever she catches anything wether it be a mouse or a bug she will never fully kill it. She treats her prey like a cat and toys with it by flinging it across the yard.

Im sorry If i was a little too descriptive in this story I just wanted to give backstory on a question I have. How can I stop Cami from killing frogs!? Its really sad and heartbreaking because I love frogs but I just cant get her to stop. She is a Jack Russell Terrier and therefore is used to hunt so im not sure if I can stop her from having a natural kill drive. If you have any suggestions that would really help because I dont want her doing that to the fish.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
My mom had thought about electric fence or somthing since cami can jump quite high. Would that work?