Dog refuses to poop outside unless its far away from home

dogsareokiguess123

I previously lived in a house with its own backyard, so this problem hasn't existed for the past 5 years. My dog had been accustomed to just being let out. However, upon moving to where I currently live (a more residential area in which I have a much smaller yard that isn't fenced in) letting my dog out has become a problem. He'd run out and poop somewhere that I couldn't leave uncleaned, like a neighbor's yard. My attempt at fixing this problem backfired and now he doesn't poop outside at all unless he's on a leash, to the point where he'd rather poop indoors and face a punishment rather than just poop outside in our yard area. Is there any way to fix this problem? Or am I gonna have to start taking him on walks instead of just letting him out? Thank you in advance for your time.

mechi2

Easiest solution is to just take him on a leash in the backyard to go poop. If you want him to run free in the yard then you either need to put up a fence or teach him to stay within the yard, and that is not 100% full proof.

dogsareokiguess123

Original Poster
By the way, if you take him outside on a leash to the same spot, eventually he may go there by himself when you let him out to do his business.
Thank you so much for your advice. Unfortunately, I've tried this and it hasn't really worked. I'll keep trying it though.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
If he has access to a neighbor's yard, then you have to go out and pick up after him. Like Mechi recommended, putting up a fence, even a temporary one until you can have an solid one installed is the most logical solution.

He should absolutely not be punished by you even if he goes indoors. The dog behaved normally before you moved. He should not be punished because he's suddenly put in a strange situation and doesn't know how to handle it, they are only animals and depend on you to guide them and help them. It is your job to teach him, or provide a fence so there's no question for him. Don't blame the dog, he's doing the best he can with the circumstances.

linda2147

put some of his poop where you want to to go, put him on a leash and take him to where it is and tell him "go potty" when he gets it right give him a treat, he'll catch on soon if you teach him words

Last edited: