Dog so hyper and terrorizes other dog

Joey4k

We have 2 1/2 years old Boston terrier/chihuahua mix. I just can’t handle him. He constantly bothers our 9 year old Boston terrier who has a heart problem he takes meds for.

He barks at everything. Any noise. If something drops as little as my phone, if I get up, if I sneeze, open a cabinet, garage door. My husband just ignores it and plays on his phone and computer.

He won’t walk him. I can’t relax. He takes the dog to work with him and I am working from home with the 9 year old dog. When they get home, all hell breaks loose.

We can’t separate them by a gate because the dog barks and knocks the gate down. My husband refuses to keep him in a crate, we don’t have a fenced in yard, and it’s hard to walk because the snow and ice right now. We’ve had him work with a few different trainers, worked with him at home.

He is smart but just can’t stop with the constant bothering of our other dog. Pushing him into furniture, grabbing his legs, putting his crotch in his face. (They are both nuetered) the other dog is so angry and snaps at him.

Nobody bites. At least not yet. I sometimes keep him on a leash and hold him but he gets upset and tries to get away. Sometimes I just stay in a separate room with the door closed to separate them but I don’t like sitting in bed all night. I want to be able to do things around the house without the dog reacting to everything or sit on the couch with the him tormenting the other dog.

It gets so loud I have to pause the tv. My husband will yell at him (even though the trainer told us not to) and he will stop for a minute but then go right back. Then sometimes he pees or poops and I have to clean it. When he finally does settle down I am reluctant to go to the kitchen or bathroom because he gets up and starts barking.

I really want to re home him but my husband won’t let me. At one time I said it’s either the dog or me but he doesn’t take me seriously. If he tended to the dog it wouldn’t be so bad but I have to most of the time because of how gaming. He will take them out for 5 minutes but that’s it. He needs to be the only dog and gets lots of attention.

He needs a fenced in yard where he can run. And someone who can walk him a lot. I have anxiety and depression and this nightly routine is just wreaking havoc on me. I just want to calm in the house.

When we do put him in his crate he is usually quiet but the longer we keep him in there the more hyper he is when we let him out. If we did give him away I would miss him. He is very cute and smart but I just think he would be better somewhere else. Another thing is he doesn’t even seem to like me.

I feed him, walk him when I can, give him a lot of attention and he seems almost scared of me. My husband doesn’t give him too much attention even though he goes to work with him. But he is all about him. My husband said he would never adjust in another home but I think he would.

Last edited by a moderator:

linda2147

get a squirt bottle and fill it with water, hopefully he doesn't thimk its a game when he starts yapping or acting out give him a good squirt in the face. If he doesn't respond squirt him anyway then put him in a crate for a time out, He will learn

Kensi

Hey! It's totally up to you, and no offense to linda. But I'd recommend against the squirt-method. It can actually make the problem worse, because the dog starts to associate the punishment (squirt) not with being aggressive, but just with the other dog in general- causing fear-related aggression.
Whenever he starts to bark, redirect. Try a "sit" or "watch me" command, and reward for calmly looking at what he's barking at but not barking.
For exercise, if there's nowhere you can go without ice, try buying a long lead. they have them from 20 to 100 feet. Usually, 30-50 is best, unless you are working on recall, then I use the 100ft. But if your dog doesn't yet have a good enough "come" to be off leash, a long lead is a great way to let him safely play in they yard.
As far as getting him to like you- try playing games, hand-feeding his meals, and- best of all- trick training. This will strengthen the bond as well as solving problems causes by boredom.
Try mental exercise games. Hide and seek, find the treats, puzzle games, etc. Mental exercise is a great way to tire a dog out.