Dog Strollers - Have You Ever Used One?

Alicia89

I have never personally owned a small dog or used a stroller, so I can only speak from my observation of others.

The thing that I see most with dogs in strollers is a high level of reactivity in the dogs. The owners seem to exercise little control over the dogs inside, so the dogs bark incessantly at passing dogs and sometimes people.

A stroller may be an option for an elderly dog that has no other means of mobility, provided it’s not also contributing to unwanted behavior.

Also find nice article:
https://www.caninefinds.com/best-dog-strollers/

CatMom1994

I think where they might also work well is on very hot days where you will be with your pet for long periods on hot ground, like an air show or craft show. Blacktop temps can really get up there and burn unprotected feet, especially in southern climates. If you've ever walked barefoot across a hot street you know what I mean.

They also give you place to carry water and a bowl, and of course some treats!
A blind woman woman who advocates for people with disabilities wrote years ago when she was at an amusement park, her guide dog suffered a paw burn on the hot pavement. So it is not just uncomfortable, but a real health risk.

I am sure the opposite happens in temperate winters - dogs suffering frostbite on too much snow.

CatMom1994

There's no reason why a healthy dog should be in a stroller or in those knapsack contraptions. Some people have really gone over the edge in treating their dogs like human kids. Do those dogs in the photos look comfortable?
You can't always see if a dog his healthy enough to walk. Unless the dog has new gray fur on its snout, you cannot tell if it is old either.

Why do parents put kids who are able to walk in strollers? Probably because they got tired from all the walking.

mechi2

I have never personally owned a small dog or used a stroller, so I can only speak from my observation of others.

The thing that I see most with dogs in strollers is a high level of reactivity in the dogs. The owners seem to exercise little control over the dogs inside, so the dogs bark incessantly at passing dogs and sometimes people.

A stroller may be an option for an elderly dog that has no other means of mobility, provided it’s not also contributing to unwanted behavior.
In my opinion bad behavior in tiny dogs is more a result of bad breeding and lack of training rather than pampering. The most valued trait in a small dog is their tiny size so with some breeders that takes precedent over breeding for temperament. And some people with small dogs don't put much importance in training as those do with big dogs because the small size makes tiny dogs easy to physically control.

CatMom1994

In my opinion bad behavior in tiny dogs is more a result of bad breeding and lack of training rather than pampering. The most valued trait in a small dog is their tiny size so with some breeders that takes precedent over breeding for temperament. And some people with small dogs don't put much importance in training as those do with big dogs because the small size makes tiny dogs easy to physically control.
Toy breeds such as Cavalier King Charles spaniels exist to be loving companions. They will do what their humans want them to do - good or bad. When a puppy is too cute being bad, it is too smart for its own good. Too many people would rather take a picture of it than say "No" or "Stop it."

Bad breeding is a reason some dogs need strollers. Bulldog puppies and pugs can't tolerate extreme temperatures because some people did not care about the consequences of their snouts being too short, so when the weather gets hot, they can't walk outside anymore.