Doggie Dementia, separation issues...... Anyone have some input.

old medic

Our dog, 100% pure bread MUTT, Is driving us crazy. He and his 2 brothers were born Thanksgiving Morning almost 15 years ago, and grew up together with a
family of up to 6 other dogs that roamed free on our isolated property. We sold and moved here 4 years ago with 3 dogs... His Brother and another dog a couple years younger that we acquired as a puppy. The younger one died about a year after we moved, and his brother 2 years ago. both appear natural. Shortly after the Brothers death we notice him showing worsening signs of separation issues... More attached to the Wife than me. He now will chase the wife in the car, whine cry carry on for hours, lay and stare up and down the road in the afternoon looking for her....
Now a few months ago he started huffing, whining to go out all hours of the night, and has increased to several times a night, half the time, you open the door, he'll look at you and then just go lay back down... and hour later your up again. He wants back in in just a few minutes...We have also found he will pop out a turd in his sleep... about once a week or so... not a pile... just a turd or 2.
We have noticed this slow change and hoping there is something we can do to help him out...

Maybe your dog had more of a bond with your other dog? I would think that your dog was grieving for the other dog, it can normally last up to 6 months. Maybe this article with help? I would check with your vet, the problems could be your dog aging too.

TTouch

Taking him to the vet woud be a good start for a health check up..... as far as separation anxiety from a now lone dog who has always had a large pack of dogs as well as humans to be with it is very hard for them to accept or change... smell is a dogs first sense so a worn t-shirt left for him can help and not allowing him to see/chase after someone leaving as that just exasperates his fear of being left

old medic

Original Poster
We take his blanket from the house and put it outside in the garage when we leave. He has an attached pen so he can go in and out.
Its hilarious... he will follow the wife into the garage, but I have to chase him down.

ILovepetBlaire

Taking him to the vet woud be a good start for a health check up..... as far as separation anxiety from a now lone dog who has always had a large pack of dogs as well as humans to be with it is very hard for them to accept or change... smell is a dogs first sense so a worn t-shirt left for him can help and not allowing him to see/chase after someone leaving as that just exasperates his fear of being left
This. This is the perfect thing to do in my opinion.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Our dog, 100% pure bread MUTT, Is driving us crazy. He and his 2 brothers were born Thanksgiving Morning almost 15 years ago, and grew up together with a
family of up to 6 other dogs that roamed free on our isolated property. We sold and moved here 4 years ago with 3 dogs... His Brother and another dog a couple years younger that we acquired as a puppy. The younger one died about a year after we moved, and his brother 2 years ago. both appear natural. Shortly after the Brothers death we notice him showing worsening signs of separation issues... More attached to the Wife than me. He now will chase the wife in the car, whine cry carry on for hours, lay and stare up and down the road in the afternoon looking for her....
Now a few months ago he started huffing, whining to go out all hours of the night, and has increased to several times a night, half the time, you open the door, he'll look at you and then just go lay back down... and hour later your up again. He wants back in in just a few minutes...We have also found he will pop out a turd in his sleep... about once a week or so... not a pile... just a turd or 2.
We have noticed this slow change and hoping there is something we can do to help him out...
Welcome! Elderly dogs will mourn the loss of their litter/house mates for sure, just like people do. They may become lethargic, spacey and sad, looking for their deceased companions.

They will also become clingy with their owners, in your case it's more your wife. I've experienced this in the past with several of my dogs in old age. I let them stay close if possible, and give them extra care, love and attention in their later years. Sometimes they will have incontinence issues at that age, if it's not excessive we just have to keep a close eye and clean up after them. If excessive, some folks use diapers, belly bands, etc. If they have been trained to use them, keeping a pad or newspaper near the back door is good to do for older dogs, they have an option if they get a strong urge and you're not there to let them out immediately.

Whining to go out and then changing their mind is common too. Just as in people, they will have some form of dementia, maybe not knowing what they really want at the moment, maybe feeling like they have to urinate then the feeling goes away, or maybe just confusion.

All these age related things are extra work and worry for us, but the best thing we can do is work with them and comfort them. Soon they will pass, and they along with you, will feel more peace that their last years were as good as possible. You care and it shows, very admirable. :)

I don't think there are any quick fixes for these things, no pills or natural remedies that work. Sometimes medicating them just make them more spacey and eventually into drugged zombies, not a good thing at all. If they are in pain, of course pain medicine can be given, but that also needs to be used in moderation.

Reactions: LPC

LPC

I would agree totally with what Alpha wrote above. I suspect that the passing of your dog's brother and friend may have upset him deeply, thus bringing on the fear of separation and resultant clingy behaviour to your wife. The other issues are simply the outcome of ageing. Elderly dogs do not like to make a mess on the floor, even when they have lost some of their toilet control, so leaving some absorbent material in a familiar place usually helps.

Every best wish to you and your dog!