Dogs knees

Roxmc

Hello all, my 8 year old Terrier mix has been diagnosed with arthritis of the spine and both of her knees are out of place. The Vet gave me Meloxydil for the pain but all she does is lay around all day! It’s heartbreaking to see her quality of life deteriorate daily. I take her for walks daily and she loves it but as soon as we come home she’s back in her bed. She won’t even get up to eat. I hand feed her.
I read about knee braces. Has anyone ever used them to help their dog? Do they work? Where do I get them? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

TTouch

The person to ask about 'knee braces' is the vet and if they will help or not and if not what will. I suspect your vet said your dog has patellar luxation this is usually due to a congenital defect, but can also be the result of trauma and normally most vets suggest operating however if the patellar is grade 1 and the vet can pop it back easily then it is likely knee braces could help while the dog builds muscle to support the patella ( otherwise it will just dislocate again) but only your vet can help you decide if this is the right treatment or not for your dog

Meloxydil is for inflammation and pain in both acute and chronic musculo-skeletal disorders in dogs however long term use of anti inflammatory/pain meds like this also negatively effects their organs.... so if it was my dog I would treat it to a bioflow collar https://www.bioflow.com/us/product-category/bioflow-pet-products/bioflow-pets-dogs-cats/ as these relieve pain and inflammation without the negative side effects

Daily exercise on soft ground like grass as it absorbs impact (but not hard pavements) and also swimming as it is non weight bearing exercise will help with easing arthritus, also keeps your dogs muscle tone in good order.