Dogs Think of Toys as Prey

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Here's an article that explains that dogs think of their toys as prey, which is why they become bored with some of them. They like toys that they can tear apart or eat. My dog is a good example of this, he will tear up any destructible toy I get him (or the cat) very quickly. The toys I get that are more durable like Kongs, Nylabones, Rope toys, he messes with for awhile, then ignores. Give him an edible chew bone, and he'll devour it in a few minutes. Read more here...http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/01/09/dog-toys.aspx

wombat

Our two like destroying toys as well, they do love the nyla bone's though but I cant seem to find them in the shops here anymore, i miht have to write to the company Purina that makes them and find out why we cant get them anymore, there are other types of the same thing in the pet stores, but much more expensive.

haopee

BACON of Light
Speaking of dog toys, Peanuts has one toy that she's ever loved. It's her one and only latex squeaker ball. At first it sounded to weird hearing her "talk" the toy whenever it squeaked. Seriously, she does that and it's cute and funny that she's trying to do that but I am not sure if she's saying "I love you too, Mr. Squakers.", "Prepare to die!" or simply "Aw, you're so cute and squeaky. I will squeak you more!". At one point, my mom asked me if Peanuts was in pain.

Just in case you were wondering how it looks like, here's a picture of it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Would love to hear her talking to the toy, LOL! :friendly_wink:

haopee

BACON of Light
Would love to hear her talking to the toy, LOL! :friendly_wink:
LOL. If only I took a video of it. I wasn't expecting she'd grow of it before I got a phone with a decent camera. This is one of the moments I regret not capturing. The other one was when she yawn vocally. You'd think it was one of those cute cartoon animals talking.

:grief: Sigh. Life is so cruel. Well, at least I have this video.

Fritz

I think the breed of dog might have something to do with it. I had a dalmatian that would destroy his toys, and bed, and the dashboard on my car and a living room couch. I now have a Shih Tzu, that doesn't destroy anything and loves to play. We are constant traveling companions. He sleeps unattended in hotel rooms with his bed and a toy; goes into stores and banks with we. I carry him in my arms, he doesn't bark and has good manners, and loves attention of anyone that approaches. Maybe it is the magic that happens when the human and dog temperament are perfectly matched.

haopee

BACON of Light
I think the breed of dog might have something to do with it. I had a dalmatian that would destroy his toys, and bed, and the dashboard on my car and a living room couch. I now have a Shih Tzu, that doesn't destroy anything and loves to play. We are constant traveling companions. He sleeps unattended in hotel rooms with his bed and a toy; goes into stores and banks with we. I carry him in my arms, he doesn't bark and has good manners, and loves attention of anyone that approaches. Maybe it is the magic that happens when the human and dog temperament are perfectly matched.
Hi Fritz. You are blessed. I can tell you one thing though. You must be a great owner to have a dog whose manners are as good. So whenever your Shih Tzu shows his good manners, you should also give yourself a pat on the back.

Dalmatians are quite active dogs. It'd make sense if they destroy their toys; it could be their excess energy asking them to. They require much more exercise than other breeds. Our dogs are full of energy. They've actually destroyed brand new mudguards and fenders at our very pricey expense.

vetsswale

Interesting article! For all the blogs I read before the one your shared was the best. I learned a lot of things here about dogs and I will show this one to my sister. Need more advice and information about vets swale, visit us here.