Ducking Leg

Tea25

My friend’s week old duckling is having issues with one of its leg. It was separated from the other ducklings shortly after hatching. It is eating well. The leg is going to the side and the joint is now swollen. Does anyone know what is causing this and what needs to be done?EC72CE19-F258-434A-9DEF-2765D54B44BE.jpeg

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum.

Your friend needs to take that duckling to a vet who regularly treats birds. Obviously it is injured.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Welcome to the forum.

Your friend needs to take that duckling to a vet who regularly treats birds. Obviously it is injured.
Unfortunately not many vets treat birds and exotic vets are often hard to come by and very expensive. If the OP can find one and afford it, then great, but chances are they are here because they can’t.
My friend’s week old duckling is having issues with one of its leg. It was separated from the other ducklings shortly after hatching. It is eating well. The leg is going to the side and the joint is now swollen. Does anyone know what is causing this and what needs to be done?
OP, I don’t know much about birds myself, but I would recommend going to backyard chickens forum. There are a lot more people with experience in chickens and ducks there. Good luck! I hope he does okay.

CatMom1994

OP, I don’t know much about birds myself, but I would recommend going to backyard chickens forum. There are a lot more people with experience in chickens and ducks there. Good luck! I hope he does okay.
Probably Including one of our formerly active members, cluckmecoop7. It is called Back Yard Birds.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Probably Including one of our formerly active members, cluckmecoop7. It is called Back Yard Birds.
It’s actually called Backyard Chickens (BYC), but they do cover other types of birds and I know many of the members keep ducks as well.😉

There are over 400,000 members there, so OP should be able to get some more educated help. I think our only members here that keep chickens, turkeys or ducks are @cluckmecoop7 and myself, and I don’t really feel competent enough to answer OPs question. My sister was the main caretaker of the chickens and I was just backup, so I’m only educated in basic care (heat, food, water, etc).

PhoenixKoi

It looks like it may have been deformed from birth. There are leg braces you can buy to strap the legs together while it grows so that when its older its legs will be aligned though I cant really see from the picture. Can it walk? Does the leg splay out to the side? Also I would recomend just like the others who replied on this thread to go to a Chicken or Duck specific forum. Hope that helps?!