Electric water fountains

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I am going to visit my sister in Mississippi next month. For the first time in Daisy's life my mom has finally decided to buy a water fountain that runs on electricity with a pump and filter, which would be a dream come true for my faucet lover. I never had one before because for years the high maintenance and big jump in her electric bills seemed prohibitive, but Daisy rarely drinks out of her water bowl when I am here.

Veterinarians always say don't buy plastic bowls. Unfortunately most of these fountains are plastic. On top of that, the filters are charcoal and I would worry Daisy will not want dirty water. Daisy is a small cat, but usually drinks by putting her head behind the spout and turning it to the right. What should I look for?

linda2147

Mine drink the water as it comes out of the filter and into the bowl. They don't drink out of the bowl, just the watefall coming down the slope as its pumped back from the filter. They are not expensive to run but must be cleaned regularly and the filter changed monthly. Run the filter under cold water squeezing until no more charcoal is coming out. That way the charcoal won't go into the fresh water

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Is that a division of Petmate?

I found one that was specifically made to mimic a sink faucet. Unfortunately it is plastic and reviewers complained about the pump.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
That is what I want, stainless steel. It is ridiculous how few of them are. Is this because of the cost to manufacture?

Mom listened to me and bought two stainless steel fountains at Petco. We will try bolth of them today. Stay tuned.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Update: Daisy was curious and dipped her paws and tongue in both fountains, but as expected still preferred the faucet. My mom bought a white ceramic one that holds 60 ounces and is easy to clean (according to reviewers) on Amazon.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
She goes to them, then decides not to drink upon seeing the water is not running.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I tried a fountain from Chewy today. It is noisy and Daisy kept walking away, probably because of the motor.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Now I am back to Square One - hiring a professional cat sitter I can communicate with every day.

Well, not exactly. I still have the Raindrop plugged in and Daisy seems to like it.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
You don't need a light on the fountain unless your idea is to have a nightlight for the cat.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Daisy is doing better with the Pioneer Pet Randrop fountain now. I was worried she walked away because of the motor, but I have been seeing her drink from and dip her paw in both the top and bottom.

Mom will return the fountain anyway because its design is difficult to take apart and clean. Also, the last time I plugged it in I had to wait a couple minutes for the water to start flowing out. (Daisy did too, so she probably will miss it.)

Last edited: