Emergency - Help Box Turtle

fowlken8

Hello everyone. First, I plan on calling a vet, if one is open but want help from you all as well.

I have a Western/Ornate Box turtle. I found him when i was 15 years old. He was already full grown and I have had him for 18 years. He's always looked a little rough as he was out in the wilderness. I understand it's not good to take animals from their habitat, and wouldn't do so now (but I was a kid).

He's been slowing down and I've noticed his head looking "weird" for years now. I expected some sort of deficiency or shell rot and the vet said it was fine. They eat crickets, greens, fruits, etc.

I change their coconut husk flooring often. They get fresh food. I trim their nails. They have a UV light. I monitor humidity. I do my best.

I leave water in their terrarium, not enough to drown them, just enough for them to climb in. I came home from work today to find him upside down in the water. I took him out and he was moving but I instantly noticed that the snout, his whole nose area was GONE. Like rotted off. He has no shell rot. He eats. No weird nasal/eye issues. They're active and run around a lot.

How can this possibly happen? I feel awful and sick. I pray he isn't in pain. I feel so bad and want to know of anything I can do in the interim of getting him professional help? Should I feed him some crushed berries? I put him in a separate enclosure. I attached a pic of the area that "fell off".

edit: internet searches tell me that captive box turtles live to 20 years of age, sometimes reports show 30-40. He hasn't grown a bit since I found him. I assume he was relatively old when I found him. Do OLD turtles just start to decay slowly? I feel just awful.

Attachments

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Hello everyone. First, I plan on calling a vet, if one is open but want help from you all as well.

I have a Western/Ornate Box turtle. I found him when i was 15 years old. He was already full grown and I have had him for 18 years. He's always looked a little rough as he was out in the wilderness. I understand it's not good to take animals from their habitat, and wouldn't do so now (but I was a kid).

He's been slowing down and I've noticed his head looking "weird" for years now. I expected some sort of deficiency or shell rot and the vet said it was fine. They eat crickets, greens, fruits, etc.

I change their coconut husk flooring often. They get fresh food. I trim their nails. They have a UV light. I monitor humidity. I do my best.

I leave water in their terrarium, not enough to drown them, just enough for them to climb in. I came home from work today to find him upside down in the water. I took him out and he was moving but I instantly noticed that the snout, his whole nose area was GONE. Like rotted off. He has no shell rot. He eats. No weird nasal/eye issues. They're active and run around a lot.

How can this possibly happen? I feel awful and sick. I pray he isn't in pain. I feel so bad and want to know of anything I can do in the interim of getting him professional help? Should I feed him some crushed berries? I put him in a separate enclosure. I attached a pic of the area that "fell off".

edit: internet searches tell me that captive box turtles live to 20 years of age, sometimes reports show 30-40. He hasn't grown a bit since I found him. I assume he was relatively old when I found him. Do OLD turtles just start to decay slowly? I feel just awful.
Taking him to a vet is really the best thing you can do at this point. They’ll know what’s wrong and what the best course of action is.