ESA for depression

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. My name is also Andrea, but everyone calls me CatMom.

I assume you are trying to decide whether to get an ESA or not. That begins with telling us some information about yourself and your living situation. What brought you to think about doing this?

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Then we will move on to your relationship with your mother. Was it a troubled one?
No, we will just talk about the OP. This thread is not about me. That comment was completely inexcusable.

I am just trying to help. There is no way to do it without more informatiom, obviously.

Last edited:

AndreaHarris

Original Poster
Actually I have been in depression from a long time because of my break up with my boyfriend and I an not living with my family. So I always feel empty and lonely. One of my teacher noticed my situation and asked me to get and ESA. Her daughter is also having an ESA and she is happy and doing good in her life now. So, I just wanted to know that ESA really works for people with Anxiety and depression.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Thanks for posting your experience Andrea. Scientific studies support the idea that there are benefits to having an ESA. I know some people don't think of them as service animals in the same category as dogs for the blind and deaf, but anxiety and depression are real medical disorders that require treatment.

The loneliness can be fixed by adopting a regular pet if that is all you need. However, if you have been diagnosed with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), which is often caused by events such as relationship breakups, you do need a little more than "just a pet."

My personal opinion is pets are better than pills - more fun, no side effects, improved general health, what's not to like? Read The Dog Who Rescued Cats by a guy named Phil. His dominant arm was paralyzed in a work accident so bad doctors wanted to amputate it. After refusing to have that kind of surgery, he became very depressed - did not want to go out, talk to his family, do anything. Then one day he decided to adopt a dog. He did not like cats at the time, but that dog taught him to love kitties. The story is amazing and Phil later wrote a sequel (which I have not read). But his dog was not a certified ESA - it just happened to work out that way.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
From the July 2018 thread:

Yes! I an having an emotional support animal which is a dog (Labradoodle)
The word having could mean a dog is reserved for training with Andrea before they live together, I guess.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That's why I asked her the question, so she could say what she meant. I took it as her having a dog already.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Actually I have been in depression from a long time because of my break up with my boyfriend and I an not living with my family. So I always feel empty and lonely.
How long ago did you break up with your boyfriend? Was your relationship rocky, did you have arguments, was he controlling or jealous, was he seeing other women? If you broke up, you must have not been in a very happy relationship.

I suggest you get over it already, going into a depression for something like this is extreme and unwarranted in my opinion. There so many other people in this world for you to meet and become friends with, why would you waste your precious time and energy being in a miserable slump? That doesn't make sense.

You need to get it together, change your attitude and be more positive, forget about him and look to the future. Get out, with or without your dog and go around people, go to the park or a concert or event.

Have some fun and stop feeling sorry for yourself because you are hurting yourself by lingering under this gray cloud. You have the power to do it, you control yourself, make some changes and love yourself now, don't worry about anyone else in the past....that's history....lesson learned. Work your way to a bright and happy future, and start today! :sunshineglass:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I echo Alpha's comments. If you ever watched The Lion King, remember the key phrase in it: "Hakuna Matata."