Feeding my cat who is recovering from a stroke

Dally's mom

Hello, my cat is recovering from a stroke about 5 days ago, she is for the most part, doing well, except she is not eating very much, she is drinking some water, using her litter box, motor functions are good and getting better everyday, respiration is good. She is 14-15 years old, I have given her dry and wet food, salmon which got the most interest she licked the oil off the salmon nibbled a little bit, does anyone have any other ideas what I can try?

mechi2

She may just need some time to recover. As long as she's drinking and eating at least a little that's good. Have you tried feeding her smaller amounts more often through the day?

Dally's mom

Original Poster
Yes, she just may need for me to be a little more patient with the healing process. I did get her to eat a couple of bites this afternoon, seems to like salmon oil drizzled on her food. So we'll see...

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello, my cat is recovering from a stroke about 5 days ago, she is for the most part, doing well, except she is not eating very much, she is drinking some water, using her litter box, motor functions are good and getting better everyday, respiration is good. She is 14-15 years old, I have given her dry and wet food, salmon which got the most interest she licked the oil off the salmon nibbled a little bit, does anyone have any other ideas what I can try?
Hi Dally's mom, welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear your girl had a stroke, but good to know she is currently doing well. She may not be ready to eat much dry, just a suggestion, but feeding wet or canned food for a while might be the best thing for her.

Some good brands of canned that I use are Wellness, Natural Balance and Avoderm. If she's craving oil, you can give a small amount of LIGHT Olive Oil every day, on her food on just on a saucer. Coconut oil is another thing that is safe to feed in small amounts. A stroke is a serious thing, especially at her age, so she still may be kind of confused and in a slump....needs more time to slowly get back to normal. Hoping she continues to feel better, wishing the best for the both of you.