Finally adopting a cat

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Mom finally called the shelters and left messages to ask them what their return policies are. Unfortunately she thinks the public county shelter will not call her back tomorrow and refuses to go there without getting an answer via phone. I expect to visit the no-kill shelter first because it is close and we already know which cat to apply for.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Correction: I went to the public shelter's website and discovered it is no-kill. However, the adoption process seems to involve a waiting list. I cannot waste time with that crap. They also don't give cats any vaccines except the rabies shot. This is not looking good for adopting a cat in Gainesville if Fluttershy disappoints me.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
The humane society called Mom back. She must fill out the adoption application first. Then someone will call her to schedule a Fluttershy meeting at the shelter.

Mom has seven days to get her money back if it does not work out. That policy is good enough for us.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
We finally went to the humane society. A volunteer said nearly all of the cats are friendly. A three-year old calico did not like being held but she did not fight me when I picked her up. A mostly black tuxedo's mammary area is still recovering from motherhood, but she did like to be held anyway.
I did not pick up any other cats. Mom did not have any interest in a flame tabby point Siamese/bobtail mix, but I could pet all the cats in other cat group housing rooms.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Now I am getting frustrated with the humane society not calling Mom back. She sent them the adoption application on Wednesday. They said she will get a call in 24-48 hours to schedule a meeting with Fluttershy. That time period has passed and we are still waiting. I thought two phone calls were all we needed to get this done if Fluttershy is destined to be my next cat

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Mom finally told me the Humane Society accepted her application for Fluttershy. I told her I am surprised the approval took so long. She admitted she somehow did not see the approval email. I could not believe it. This is a lady who looks at her emails several times a day. I think she was lazy.

Anyway, on Monday she will call them to schedule an appointment to meet Fluttershy. I went to the website twice to make sure they still have her. They have a "first come first serve" policy, which is confusing for cats in foster homes.

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
When others are adopting a pet for you, it is best to be patient.

I wish the best for you and Fluttershy.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
When others are adopting a pet for you, it is best to be patient.

I wish the best for you and Fluttershy.
Or whoever else I end up adopting. We have not scheduled an appointment to meet her yet and are open to looking at other cats.

Welcome back.