Finally adopting a cat

CatMom1994

Original Poster
First things first, I hope all goes well getting my new fur baby. It is not official until Mom signs the adoption contract and pays $100.

I know this seems like a silly question, but when should we start calling her Bella? Will she understand Bella is her new name?

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I will let everyone know what happens at the appointment tomorrow and post the best pictures of her.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I am recharging my camera battery to make sure I don't miss anything that is too cute.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
The potty area is set up exactly how we like it I dusted my roo[m and cleaned the Turbo Scratcer,, including the ball, (with only a wet paper towel Food and water bowls were still in the cabinet so I only had to put their intended contents on the bottom shelf.

In my room, a big fuzzy6 pink blanket and the Turbo Scratcher are under my window. The scratching ramp is inches away from my nightstand. My nightstand is where I put the carrier, which now has a sparkly puff ball. I hope we did everything right to get ready for Aurora.

hamsterlover123

Cat mom! You are about to be a cat mom!! Congratulations! 🥳
I made Bella a portrait with digital art. IMG_3071.JPG

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Cat mom! You are about to be a cat mom! Congratulations!
It is not official yet, but SHE IS HOME!

The adoption counselor told Mom to put off paying the adoption fee until we decide Aurora is definitely right for us. The trial period is 1-2 weeks. I have no reason to doubt this is going to work out for us. We have Aurora's medical information, rabies certificate, and microchip number. The lady also bought a small bag of Science Diet to ease the switch top Blue Buffalo, saying that is what Aurora has been eating. She agrees with me Blue Buffalo is a better cat food brand, going as far as to call it "the best" because of the life source bits added for antioxidants. So everything is good.

Well, everything except Aurora is not eating. She sniffed her food and walked away. I wonder why because no Blue Wilderness is in the bowl. She looks underweight at the hips, but does not feel bony when I pet her. I have not seen her drink either. It must be stress-related. She had no trouble using the litterbox because I opened her carrier in the laundry room.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Yes, give her a little bit of time. She will need to adjust. I hope everything works out OK. 🐈
She is fine otherwise. I am not worried about her going under my bed because that is normal behavior when cats move to new homes. She let me pet and kiss her. I felt purring vibrations and am excited about hearing the sound later. Her meows are not painful.

hamsterlover123

I have a special app to do it with. If you have any other pictures I might be able to do it when I have time (which i have A LOT of) This goes for anyone on the forum

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I have a special app to do it with. If you have any other pictures I might be able to do it when I have time (which i have A LOT of) This goes for anyone on the forum
I prefer oil paint because it allows the artist to add many small details and a third dimension.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I asked Mom when we should start calling her Bella. She said I can do it now. So we will not call her Aurora anymore except when communicating with the adoption counselor.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Congratulations on becoming a kitty mom once again!
It feels great to have my username be accurate again. 🐱

I love Bella. She enjoyed cheek and chin scratches, kisses on the head, petting everywhere, and just lying next to me. I have not tried to cuddle or carry her yet.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I took my first pictures of Bella. I tried to get shots of her on my bed, but the camera did not work before she moved. So in the first pictures she is under my bed. Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow.

Update: I was able to take pictures of her on my bed tonight.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Bella ate a little bit and used the litterbox, but I have not seen her drink yet. That is bad because right now she only eats kibbles. (Wet food will be added later.) She also scratched me twice. So it has not been a purrfect start. I am hoping she will be better tomorrow.

Update: Bella is drinking water.

I guess she had a small poop turd stuck on her butt.and it fell off when she sat down. Otherwise, no litterbox problems.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I noticed Bella is still not totally back to normal from nursing kittens. Her two tail end breasts surprisingly are still descended.

The lump is a hernia her vet decided not to remove. It is huge and located in the diaphragm area so I am surprised she likes to lie prone under my bed. I have not tried tummy rubs yet because she was spayed last week.

She is not underweight. The weird dip where her body and tail meet is probably associated with the way she carries it: almost flat above her back. The tail itself is completely normal. She is just more comfortable in that position. I read this is caused by a recessive gene mutation.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Bella threw up on my carpet.The only thing she has jumped on so far is the kitchen table. She still needs time to adjust here.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I let Bella go in the living room and foyer today. She just walked around exploring the area.

For some reason she does not like the sound of me opening my bedroom curtain. It is probably new to her.

hamsterlover123

It could be related to abuse, but I don't know why could hurt her that sounds like curtains, it is probably new to her as you said. Have we got photos yet?

CatMom1994

Original Poster
It could be related to abuse, but I don't know why could hurt her that sounds like curtains, it is probably new to her as you said. Have we got photos yet?
Bella was not abused. I am still learning what annoys her.

So far I have only been able to take good pictures of Bella that show her shaved area. I want to take pictures from other angles before posting my favorites.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Now I am worried about how she will react to kids petting her. If Bella does not like what I am doing, her reaction is trying to scratch or bite me.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Bella still sleeps under my bed instead of on it, but she follows me and sat in a living room chair.