First Post! Looking for help!!!

skwidneato

Hi everyone! I just got a kitten recently and we've been having issues with her climbing walls. We don't want to get her declawed, so I picked up some spray that's supposed to stop her from scratching. I also noticed she doesn't like mint smells, so I got some spearmint essential oil and put that in there as well. Obviously, that is a problem, but I didn't know it then. I sprayed this crap all over the living room/wall she was climbing on. As soon as I finished, my sister told me that that oil can seriously hurt cats and is very toxic!
I've since put her in a room that has had no oil sprayed in it, and the oil room is being ventilated (fan on, window open). She was not in that room very long (maybe 3 min.) but she did drool a little on the floor, which is apparently a sign of reaction to the toxicity of the oil. She doesn't show any of the other signs, however, and is still very active.
I guess I'm asking whether or not I should be worried about her health. Also, any tips on getting her to stop climbing walls/clawing things would be appreciated. I'm looking into the claw caps, but I'd like to hear what others have to say about them. Thanks!

linda2147

If you are concerned just give your vet a call and see what they say. she's a kitten and is going to scratch. Ho you have a scratching post and maybe several scratching mats? Also get a cat tree with lots of scratching legs and plenty of shelves for her to be able to explore. if she is hesitant about using the scratching posts get a bottle of cat nip spray and spray where you want her to scratch. No all cats respond to catnip but the majority do so try that first. And welcome to the forum