First statewide ban on declawing? It is coming!

Cat Servant

**dancing a jig**
I sure do home they get it passed. It'll save many cats' paws and be a good example to the other states.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Once I learned exactly what de-clawing entailed, I was completely against it, and it should be banned.

linda2147

should be banned, people don't realize the toes are cut back to the first knuckle, its no wonder they have sore feet and as they get older they have a problem scratching around in the litter box. Who does that???

lorilou

Original Poster
If you want to help, you can write a letter expressing why you are against declawing to: The Honorable William Magee, Chair, Committee on Agriculture, New York State Assembly, Legislative Office Building 828, Albany, NY 12248.

Be sure to put "In Support of A1297 (Rosenthal)." It doesn't matter if you live in New York or not. Once the ban is passed in New York, the gate will be open for other states will follow.

Thank you Alpha1. More resources here:

www.ThePawProject.org

tinytoy

For the sake of argument...what effect will this have on the adoption of kittens? Will more kittens become homeless? Is declawing a lesser evil to say, euthenasia of entire litters?

I saw my furniture totaly destroyed by a cat, and decided never to have a cat again after my cat with claws. The cat before her was declawed (not by me). She never had any problems with walking, but did not jump up on things (thank god). She lived till 15 and was happy, and an indoors cat the whole time. Sorry, but if my kitten was not so old now, I would have her declawed in a second. Yes, it causes pain, but so does starvation. Win win. I feed her, she does not destroy my things. Having her declawed is on the list of things to do. She would have full run of he house. I would not need to crate her! Having no claws would mean more freedom! I would do a lazer declaw though. The other way sounds in

Anyway, I m not a cold, unfeeling you know what. I have a condition in my leg where the valves of my veins collapsed. Any scratch could cause ulceration. An ulcer takes many months and thousands of dollers in medical expenses to heal. An infected scratch could lead to job loss and money loss.

So I am not countin on this legislation to win. New York is also the home of millions of apartment pets. Many people would not own cats if they could not be declawed.

Last edited:

linda2147

I have two cats, neither declawed, they don't destroy furniture, they have their tree and scratching posts. If they did scratch things they shouldn't I'd put the soft paws on their nails to keep them from scratching. Declawing is a barbaric thing to do to an animal, right up there with debarking, I wouldn't do that either. Furniture can be replaced or covered. If you are going to have animals you have to expect things to happen that don't please you. But we suck it up and deal with it, don't have to declaw, that is a cruel thing to do to any cat.

lorilou

Original Poster
For the sake of argument...what effect will this have on the adoption of kittens? Will more kittens become homeless? Is declawing a lesser evil to say, euthenasia of entire litters?

I saw my furniture totaly destroyed by a cat, and decided never to have a cat again after my cat with claws. The cat before her was declawed (not by me). She never had any problems with walking, but did not jump up on things (thank god). She lived till 15 and was happy, and an indoors cat the whole time. Sorry, but if my kitten was not so old now, I would have her declawed in a second. Yes, it causes pain, but so does starvation. Win win. I feed her, she does not destroy my things. Having her declawed is on the list of things to do. She would have full run of he house. I would not need to crate her! Having no claws would mean more freedom! I would do a lazer declaw though. The other way sounds in

Anyway, I m not a cold, unfeeling you know what. I have a condition in my leg where the valves of my veins collapsed. Any scratch could cause ulceration. An ulcer takes many months and thousands of dollers in medical expenses to heal. An infected scratch could lead to job loss and money loss.

So I am not countin on this legislation to win. New York is also the home of millions of apartment pets. Many people would not own cats if they could not be declawed.
38 civilized countries around the world (and 8 cities in California, USA) have outlawed declawing, and people have cats in those countries too. Over population of unwanted kittens has nothing to do with declawing. That is caused by people who do not spay and neuter their cats.

Cats hide all but the most excruciating pain. Your previous cat did not jump on things most likely because her feet and back hurt when she jumped. Declawed cats usually have pain all their lives, not just in their feet, but in their backs also.

Cats walk on their toes. Declawing is amputation of the first digit of the toe, including bone, nerve, tendon, cartilage and ligaments.

When they come out of this surgery they scream in pain. That is ten amputations for a front declawed cat. They are forced to walk and dig in litter with those amputated stumps for all their lives. Cats feel pain just as much as other living things. They just hide it better, but they feel it.

When they begin to avoid using the litter box, house soiling, or biting, they are brought to shelters, or worse, just kicked outside to fend for themselves. Shelters always have plenty of declawed cats. Those cats were declawed, but it did not keep them in their homes.

Cats use claws for more than scratching. They use their claws to get proper exercise and stretching. Their gait is completely altered, crippled, by declawing, they can't walk right any more. So their backs and legs hurt all the time. And they can't stretch properly, to rid themselves of that discomfort, because when cats stretch, they dig their claws in and pull.

I live in an apartment and have cats who are not declawed, have never had declawed cats. Living in an apartment does not mean you need to chop off your cat's toes.

Please watch The Paw Project Movie, for more information. Hopefully, once you understand what declawing really is, you will not feel so casual about it.

Laser declawing is no better than clippers. In fact some vets say it is even worse. The laser causes burns deep in the remaining bone. Infection can form and fester in there for years. Laser is just as bad as cutting.

I hope you don't really keep your cat crated. Cats need to run and jump and play. It is very cruel to keep a cat in a cage. How is that any different from being in a shelter.

linda2147

My daughter has two declawed cats, she got them from the shelter that way. She went to the shelter and told the staff she wanted a cat that needed a home and was there the longest. They had two brothers that had been declawed by their former owner then dumped at the shelter. It was a package deal thing, she had to take both. Not a problem for her, these boys needed a home so she gave them one. This is the daughter that keeps taking in the bulldogs. Guess we are just suckers for something that needs a home.

linda2147

My youngest daughter just last week (she has a boxer) Someone she works with told her about someone that was living in their car with their dog, due to a fire in the apt. a ten month old coonhound. She took the dog saying the boxer needs a playmate. Another softie. The dog was well cared for, up to date on shots and spayed. Her boxer is about ten months old also and they get along great

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That's so nice, Coonhounds are neat dogs too...great that she has a good home and a Boxer friend now. I love people who love animals! Just saw Betty White on TV, she's about to turn 93 and she truly loves animals and does so much for them...she said it's what keeps her young and her spirit up. :sentimental:

linda2147

my other daughter has a black lab and two persians, my oldest son has two rescue siamese. Whole family of animal lovers. My son is an x marine, one day he saw a man with a dog on a leash kicking it. My son grabbed the guy and punched him in the face, then took the dog and took it to a shelter, the guy had him arrested and he had to go to court, he paid a small fine then the guy was arrested for animal cruelty. My son said it was worth paying the fine on the assault charge and he'd do it again if a situation came up.

tinytoy

my other daughter has a black lab and two persians, my oldest son has two rescue siamese. Whole family of animal lovers. My son is an x marine, one day he saw a man with a dog on a leash kicking it. My son grabbed the guy and punched him in the face, then took the dog and took it to a shelter, the guy had him arrested and he had to go to court, he paid a small fine then the guy was arrested for animal cruelty. My son said it was worth paying the fine on the assault charge and he'd do it again if a situation came up.
I don't believe this story. Post a newspaper clipping please. Only west Hollywood in California attempted to outlaw declawing. The ban did not pass. The have a law in which potential declawers must be informed of the consiquenses. That is all. A declawing ban has never been passed as a law in any state in the USA. Wishful thinking, or propaganda, maybe. Post the congressional act or state law number please. I'll look it up.

Last edited:

lorilou

Original Poster
I don't believe this story. Post a newspaper clipping please. Only west Hollywood in California attempted to outlaw declawing. The ban did not pass. The have a law in which potential declawers must be informed of the consiquenses. That is all. A declawing ban has never been passed as a law in any state in the USA. Wishful thinking, or propaganda, maybe. Post the congressional act or state law number please. I'll look it up.
There are 8 cities in California where declawing of cats is illegal.

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Berkeley, CA
Burbank, CA
Culver City, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That barbaric practice should be banned. If somebody can't provide their cat with adequate scratchers, trim the tips of their nails when needed, and engage them in some positive constructive exercise play (mental and physical stimulation), then they shouldn't own a cat. Plus there are all sorts of products available like no scratch taping and sprays if you can't handle the training of your feline.

In the past people were uneducated about how extensive the operation was, now they're getting smarter and waking up.

Source: http://www1.pawproject.org/legislation/

ANTI-DECLAWING LEGISLATION

West Hollywood Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 9.49.020 [PDF]
California State Ban on Declawing Wild and Exotic Cats [PDF]
Santa Monica Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 4.04.275 [PDF]
Los Angeles Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 53.72 [PDF]
San Francisco Declaw Ban – San Francisco Health Code Section 45 [PDF]
Burbank Declaw Ban – Municipal Code 5-1-1501 [PDF]
Culver City Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 9.01.600 [PDF]
Berkeley Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 10.04.145 [PDF]
Beverly Hills Declaw Ban – Municipal Code Section 5-2-601&602 [PDF]
Proposed 2004 California State Ban on Declawing (did not pass) [PDF]
The California Veterinary Medical Association sued the city of West Hollywood to overturn their anti-declaw law. West Hollywood's right to ban declawing was upheld in this 2007 California Appellate Court decision [PDF]. Amici curiae briefs were filed by Animal Legal Defense Fund and the City of San Francisco in support of the declaw ban.

LAWS PROHIBITING LANDLORD-MANDATED DECLAWING

California Law (2012) – Civil Code Section 1942.7 [PDF]
Rhode Island Law (2013) – General Laws Chapter 4-1-41 [PDF]
New York Assembly Bill 4820 (pending) [PDF]
Massachusetts Senate Bill 613 (pending) [PDF]

ANTI-DECLAWING RESOLUTIONS

Malibu, CA Resolution Opposing Declawing [PDF]
Berkeley, CA Resolution Deploring Declawing [PDF]
San Francisco, CA Resolution Opposing Declawing [PDF]
Marin County, CA Resolution Urging Statewide Declaw Ban [PDF]
West Hollywood, CA Resolution Condemning Declawing [PDF]

linda2147

A lot of vets refuse to declaw, I've never had a declawed cat and would never have it done. What would my bengal do if he couldn't climb his tree? I wouldn't do that to any animal. Some vets won't crop ears either, they say its just for looks and has no useful purpose. I'm all for that also.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I've had two of my dog's ears cropped, and you're right, it's purely for looks and a senseless operation for them. I will never have that done again, regardless of breed. I've never declawed any of my cats. They spend some time outdoors, and I would want them to climb a tree if needed to protect themselves from predators. Declawing affects them in negative ways mentally too, besides being very painful. Cats will suddenly start staying on high platforms, like refrigerators all day, because they are fearful without means of protection.

niMgBGfMgFc

lorilou

Original Poster
Thanks for posting all the links. Yes most cats do like to be up high. It's one of the first things I ask someone dealing with any kind of "behavior" problem. Do the cats have adequate elevated space.

As you say more and more people are learning what declawing really means to the cat's life, not just the physical problems but the emotional/mental (above and beyond the chronic pain)problems too. I see the great satisfaction my cats get from scratching and digging their claws in deep to climb and swing themselves around and play. And to see them grooming their paws and claws...it's better than watching a feel good movie! It's heart breaking to think of all the cats who will never know these basic joys of being a cat. On top of all the painful suffering, they have all that taken away from them.

And that is what this is all about. Educating. Even if the bill doesn't pass this time, it brings awareness. Eventually it will pass, in NY and everywhere else. Because more and more people are becoming aware. And it is trickling down to the grade school children, so a whole new generation is growing up knowing how awful it is. Kids are doing their school reports on declawing!

People who know all this, and still defend declawing are just ..I can't fathom how someone can be so insensitive to an innocent animal's quality of life. They will justify it any way they can. I guess they have to live with themselves. And I don't know how any vet who does this can live with him or herself.