Fish photos!

Beautiful Beasties

Hey guys! I though I’d make a fish photo thread. Here is a place to post pictures of your wet-pet friends.

Here is my boy RosencrossView attachment 10266View attachment 10267View attachment 10268
And my rabbit snail SnugView attachment 10269
I have a similar beta. He looks great! I love the natural look of your tank. Beautiful. Do you have any tips to set one of these bad boys up? Specifically which plants are good and any tips on adding wood? I plan to do so again (been YEARS) some time between this year and next.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
I have a similar beta. He looks great! I love the natural look of your tank. Beautiful. Do you have any tips to set one of these bad boys up? Specifically which plants are good and any tips on adding wood? I plan to do so again (been YEARS) some time between this year and next.
I’d recommend at least a 10 gallon. Anything smaller is kind of a pain to grow plants in. 10 gallons is very nice size for a beginner setup. It’s small enough to be easy to take care of, but also big enough to be easy to take care of, if that makes any sense…
Big tanks can be a pain, but tiny tanks are a pain as well because the water is very unstable. It’s very difficult to create a healthy ecosystem in only a few gallons of water.

I’d highly recommend a sand substrate. Sand is much easier to take care of than gravel and it’s better for plants. I use pool filter sand. Pool filter sand is very cheap and works great as aquarium substrate.

The plants seen in the photos are hornwort, java moss, anubias nana and cryptocoryne.

I always recommend marimo moss balls and anubias nana because they are almost impossible to kill. Java moss is great too, but it can be a little messy.

Frogbit, salvinia, hornwort, cryptocorynes and vallisneria are all great, but they do need a decent light and some fertilizer to grow well.
With a cheap aquaneat LED and a good all in one fertilizer, you can grow
most aquarium plants. Root tabs help for some root feeding plants like cryptocorynes, valisneria and amazon swords.

Driftwood is great! Tannins are really good for the water and for the fish. Almond leaves are good too, especially for bettas.🙂

Last edited:

Beautiful Beasties

I’d recommend at least a 10 gallon. Anything smaller is kind of a pain to grow plants in. 10 gallons is very nice size for a beginner setup. It’s small enough to be easy to take care of, but also big enough to be easy to take care of, if that makes any sense…
Big tanks can be a pain, but tiny tanks are a pain as well because the water is very unstable. It’s very difficult to create a healthy ecosystem in only a few gallons of water.

I’d highly recommend a sand substrate. Sand is much easier to take care of than gravel and it’s better for plants. I use pool filter sand. Pool filter sand is very cheap and works great as aquarium substrate.

The plants seen in the photos are hornwort, java moss, anubias nana and cryptocoryne.

I always recommend marimo moss balls and anubias nana because they are almost impossible to kill. Java moss is great too, but it can be a little messy.

Frogbit, salvinia, hornwort, cryptocorynes and vallisneria are all great, but they do need a decent light and some fertilizer to grow well.
With a cheap aquaneat LED and a good all in one fertilizer, you can grow
most aquarium plants. Root tabs help for some root feeding plants like cryptocorynes, valisneria and amazon swords.

Driftwood is great! Tannins are really good for the water and for the fish. Almond leaves are good too, especially for bettas.🙂
Awesome thank you so much. I've had one before but it was years ago. So I do know basics but I had issues with stable water so I really appreciate your advice. I will save it for future use. I plan on using a 20 gallon tank.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Awesome thank you so much. I've had one before but it was years ago. So I do know basics but I had issues with stable water so I really appreciate your advice. I will save it for future use. I plan on using a 20 gallon tank.
I am glad it helped! 20 gallons is a very nice size for a planted tank. Do you know what kinds of fish you want in it?

Beautiful Beasties

I am glad it helped! 20 gallons is a very nice size for a planted tank. Do you know what kinds of fish you want in it?
Not yet I like fancy guppies and Molly's but I'm not anywhere near a decision yet. I like to talk it over with my family, see what they like and we all pick fish that we like and will get along. I do love community tanks though so it will be one. Thank you.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Not yet I like fancy guppies and Molly's but I'm not anywhere near a decision yet. I like to talk it over with my family, see what they like and we all pick fish that we like and will get along. I do love community tanks though so it will be one. Thank you.
Guppies and mollies are both fun, but I would warn you that guppies can be very… energetic, haha. They look very pretty in groups, but they aren’t usually very personable because they are a little crazy. I find platies more pleasant in community tanks, but that’s just me! Everyone has their own preference. 🙂

You could do a clown pleco if you want. They are one of the tiniest species of plecostomus and they love driftwood. I have a clown pleco and he is very cute.☺ Kuhli loaches are loads of fun as well. So are corydoras catfish.

For centerpiece fish, you could do a couple gouramis or a pair of german rams or something. I personally love honey gouramis. I would not recommend angelfish because they can get pretty big and can be aggressive to certain tank mates, especially when paired.
Some species of rainbowfish might work, but I’m not very knowledgeable on those. 20 gallons could be a little small; I’m not sure.

Beautiful Beasties

Guppies and mollies are both fun, but I would warn you that guppies can be very… energetic, haha. They look very pretty in groups, but they aren’t usually very personable because they are a little crazy. I find platies more pleasant in community tanks, but that’s just me! Everyone has their own preference. 🙂

You could do a clown pleco if you want. They are one of the tiniest species of plecostomus and they love driftwood. I have a clown pleco and he is very cute.☺ Kuhli loaches are loads of fun as well. So are corydoras catfish.

For centerpiece fish, you could do a couple gouramis or a pair of german rams or something. I personally love honey gouramis. I would not recommend angelfish because they can get pretty big and can be aggressive to certain tank mates, especially when paired.
Some species of rainbowfish might work, but I’m not very knowledgeable on those. 20 gallons could be a little small; I’m not sure.
I do plan on getting angels but that's in their own tank. Had them before they can get pretty darn big. And when I get mollies I automatically get platies room they get along great with mollies and follow fingers. With a ten year old, that's a great perk lol. Thank you for all the info. I do always get a cleaner fish too. I usually do go for clowns tho since I once was sold a pleco that hot huge and was not what it was supposed to be. Luckily I had an alligator gar tank that he went in. I have not heard of gouramis or german rams. So I will definitely look into that. It's just been so long since I had tanks, I don't remember what I know and don't know haha. I appreciate all your advice and will definitely keep it all in mind. I prefer learning from actual keepers since pet shop people usually don't know crap. No offense. I've helped more people in pet shops with accurate info more than the employees. They should get better training on the animals and their care. I have some horror stories of the advice I've heard them give and had gotten myself. Luckily I always double check pet info given to me.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
I do plan on getting angels but that's in their own tank. Had them before they can get pretty darn big. And when I get mollies I automatically get platies room they get along great with mollies and follow fingers. With a ten year old, that's a great perk lol. Thank you for all the info. I do always get a cleaner fish too. I usually do go for clowns tho since I once was sold a pleco that hot huge and was not what it was supposed to be. Luckily I had an alligator gar tank that he went in. I have not heard of gouramis or german rams. So I will definitely look into that. It's just been so long since I had tanks, I don't remember what I know and don't know haha. I appreciate all your advice and will definitely keep it all in mind. I prefer learning from actual keepers since pet shop people usually don't know crap. No offense. I've helped more people in pet shops with accurate info more than the employees. They should get better training on the animals and their care. I have some horror stories of the advice I've heard them give and had gotten myself. Luckily I always double check pet info given to me.
Clown loachs (I presume that’s what you are talking about when you say clowns) aren’t cleaner fish either. Most bottom dwellers don’t clean anything (despite common myth). They need to be fed, they poop. They are there for entertainment just the same as any other fish.

Very few types bottom dwellers will eat algae or anything of the sort more than a platy would. Nerite snails are about the only thing that have a major impact on algae.

There are many species of plecostomus. The common pleco sold at most pet stores can easily get 12” long. Pet store employees usually don’t tell you this sell them as “cleaner fish” when in reality, they don’t clean anything.
There are a couple species of plecostomus that stay small (clown pleco being one of the smallest). Bristlenose plecostomus are another small pleco variety. When shopping for plecos, you have to know what you are looking for.

When picking out bottom dwellers, don’t get them as “cleaner fish”, get them because you like the fish and want to see it in your tank (and make sure they are compatible with your other fish of course ;)).

Beautiful Beasties

Clown loachs (I presume that’s what you are talking about when you say clowns) aren’t cleaner fish either. Most bottom dwellers don’t clean anything (despite common myth). They need to be fed, they poop. They are there for entertainment just the same as any other fish.

Very few types bottom dwellers will eat algae or anything of the sort more than a platy would. Nerite snails are about the only thing that have a major impact on algae.

There are many species of plecostomus. The common pleco sold at most pet stores can easily get 12” long. Pet store employees usually don’t tell you this sell them as “cleaner fish” when in reality, they don’t clean anything.
There are a couple species of plecostomus that stay small (clown pleco being one of the smallest). Bristlenose plecostomus are another small pleco variety. When shopping for plecos, you have to know what you are looking for.

When picking out bottom dwellers, don’t get them as “cleaner fish”, get them because you like the fish and want to see it in your tank (and make sure they are compatible with your other fish of course ;)).
No I meant clown pleco. They eat algae. At least mine did, they'd clean up an entire side of the tank, nearest the window that would get it. I also feed them algea chips, and the frozen shrimp type foods, well did in the past when I had them. I used mystery snails as cleaners, idk how well they actually did. But mostly I usually include them because, I just like watching them on the glass. Lol. Love their hard "armor" exoskeleton/scales whatever ya wanna call it. But as you said, they do get big. So I usually only keep one if I know I plan to get a larger tank in the future or already have one. I used to have one smaller tank for my son and one larger tank for the house. I don't think I've had nerite snails, but I have heard of them.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
No I meant clown pleco. They eat algae. At least mine did, they'd clean up an entire side of the tank, nearest the window that would get it. I also feed them algea chips, and the frozen shrimp type foods, well did in the past when I had them. I used mystery snails as cleaners, idk how well they actually did. But mostly I usually include them because, I just like watching them on the glass. Lol. Love their hard "armor" exoskeleton/scales whatever ya wanna call it. But as you said, they do get big. So I usually only keep one if I know I plan to get a larger tank in the future or already have one. I used to have one smaller tank for my son and one larger tank for the house. I don't think I've had nerite snails, but I have heard of them.
Ah, okay, that makes more sense. Clown plecos do eat some algae. Mystery snails often eat biofilm (when you see them mouthing on the glass), but they don’t usually the algae itself. They are both lots of fun.😁

Clown plecos (panaqolus maccus) do not get big. The common pleco (hypostomus plecostomus) does. That is why you have to be careful when buying plecos. There are many different species.

Nerite snails are technically from brackish water. They can live in freshwater too, but they can’t breed in freshwater. Nerite snails are some of the best algae eaters out there. They are small and have very little bioload (unlike most other bottom dweller which tend to poop a lot) and they demolish diatoms algae like it’s chocolate cake.

Beautiful Beasties

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. Clown plecos do eat some algae. Mystery snails often eat biofilm (when you see them mouthing on the glass), but they don’t usually the algae itself. They are both lots of fun.😁

Clown plecos (panaqolus maccus) do not get big. The common pleco (hypostomus plecostomus) does. That is why you have to be careful when buying plecos. There are many different species.

Nerite snails are technically from brackish water. They can live in freshwater too, but they can’t breed in freshwater. Nerite snails are some of the best algae eaters out there. They are small and have very little bioload (unlike most other bottom dweller which tend to poop a lot) and they demolish diatoms algae like it’s chocolate cake.
Awesome. Thank you. I will probably get a few nerites then. I loved my little mystery snails I had. I had them breeding and everything. When I was moving my landlord came in over night to paint 2 days before he was supposed to (so none of my tanks were covered or moved out as planned), killed everything in both my tanks with the paint mist, etc going in them. Haven't had a tank since. After spending hundreds of dollars to get it going and beautiful, that kinda thing kills you. Even had my Betta and others trained to know when I tapped 2 times to come to the top for food. Betta even liked rubbing against my finger. Ugh. Talk about anger.

And yes I learned the hard way about plecos years ago, that's why I always have a backup larger tank just on case I'm sold something other than what I thought it was. Lol. Usually I'm the one telling the pet shop employee what they've got, male, female, etc though. No boasting, just sadness for their customers. They need training for real. Once had one try to sell me a baby Oscar for my community tank of mollies. Looked at them like they were crazy. (baby Oscars were right next to the community tanks where all those species could coexist. She assumed oscars could too since they were near those tanks) just shows how those places work with training. Many other horror stories about pet shops tho. I appreciate your communication and info. Not always easy to find reliable info on pets.