Food recommendations

AyeAyeCapn

Ellie's dad
I'm returning a adoptee pup to my granddaughter after taking care of her pup for 4 months. Pup is now 9 months old. I've been feeding her (the pup, not my granddaughter) Nutri Source grain-free dry with half a can of grain free canned on top. This doesn't appear to be easily available in her area. What do you recommend that is easily available from PetCo or PetSmart, both of which are close by to her. They don't appear to carry Nutri Source. I'm pretty much convinced grain-free is best. The pup is a half catahoula and I think half doberman. About 35 pounds. I've taken very good care of "Speedy" for 4 months and I don't want her eating the garbage sold at grocery stores.

linda2147

the best thing for the dog would be to be fed raw. If that isn't an option then Orajin is the best of the best followed by fromm.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Just so you know, the Nutro Ultra is NOT a good dog food. It is kibble and kibble is bad for dogs. Raw is best...just like Linda said.

AyeAyeCapn

Ellie's dad
Original Poster
I got confused in the past with similar names, Speedy's been getting Nutri Source, I've seen no bad reviews. Thanks linda2147 and Yetidog37. Weird thing is, buying Nutri Source on-line is 50% more than at a local pet shop here in the SWAMP!
Just so you know, the Nutro Ultra is NOT a good dog food. It is kibble and kibble is bad for dogs. Raw is best...just like Linda said.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
It does not matter about bad reviews. It is for the sake of your dogs health!

By the way AyeAyeCapn, nice to see you back on this sight! At first I did not recognize your user name, but then I saw you had other threads...and a Album with pics of Ellie in it! :)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I feed grain-free canned (Wellness) along with regular dry dog food. I read recently that going full grain free is not the best for a dog's nutrition. I suggest Fromm brand, not sure if Petsmart or Petco sell it though. Here's there site where you punch in the zip code and they let you know what stores it's available in. https://frommfamily.com/retailers/where-to-buy/

Orijen is a very good name brand, but it's very expensive. Fromm cost a lot too but they are family owned and they use higher quality ingredients, Linda had recommended it here in the past, that's why I checked it out. I bought a small bag of Fromm because I plan to switch my dog from Costco's Kirkland brand to Fromm, once his old food gets to a smaller amount, I'll mix the new with the old.....always not to make any abrupt change in diet.

Glad that you're seeing to it that Speedy gets a healthy food, I'd still give her the Fromm puppy formula until she's a year old.

https://frommfamily.com/products/dog/?animal=dog&query=&lifestage=&breedsize=&recipetype=&attributes=&protein=&productline=&sort=4

AyeAyeCapn

Ellie's dad
Original Poster
Thanks again everybody. Ellie turned 5 today!! Untitled-1-R1W.jpg
It does not matter about bad reviews. It is for the sake of your dogs health!

By the way AyeAyeCapn, nice to see you back on this sight! At first I did not recognize your user name, but then I saw you had other threads...and a Album with pics of Ellie in it! :)

Dog Force One

Banned
There are many articles in the news lately warning AGAINST grain free, and the FDA has issued an official warning as well. Grain free dog foods have now been linked to enlargement of the heart and premature death.

This does not appear to have anything to do with one brand or another. It's about the ingredients themselves. Evidently dogs are not meant to be eating so many peas, lentils, potatoes, etc.

No way would I feed grain free personally at this point.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/investigations/-we-were-in-tears-heart-disease-toxins-among-growing-fears-in-boutique-dog-foods

linda2147

Get a bag of honest kitchen, mix 1/4 cup of honest kitchen with equal amount of warm water, let it set until it thickens then add it to the grain free food, that is all the "greens" the dog needs plus its all the fruits and veggies they need in the diet

Dog Force One

Banned
Instant fairy tale to relieve people of their money and guilt. To give your dog the benefits of vegetables and fruit, get off your bottom and prepare them vegetables and fruit, not some processed goop powder from a package.

Top insurance against cancer and a host of other illnesses.

Time spent chopping and cooking to your favorite music in the kitchen is time you won't have to spend crying at the veterinarian.

Victims of artisanal dog food marketers, you are being farmed, like battery chickens.

Last edited:

Dog Force One

Banned
I use the best reasonably priced kibble I can find (looking closely at the ingredients) and that is only the canvas to which I add real liver, real chicken breast, four vegetables, and low fat milk every day, along with fish twice a week. Also green apples and kiwi fruits. Sometimes bananas, raw tomatoes, pineapple, watermelon. Real food for real dogs.

When you think about it, what animal should be eating nothing but highly processed food from a bag and can every day? It's a convenient, lazy self-delusion we have all been seduced into for the profit of the pet food industry.

Just my opinion. Feed whatever you want and feel best about.

Dog Force One

Banned
My feeling is that since meat and other animal products are implicated in all the most common diseases that debilitate and kill people, it seems unlikely that miraculously none of that would be true for another mammal. I'm not foolish and cruel enough to put a dog (or myself anymore) on a vegan diet, but I think grains, vegetables, and fruit have a place in the dog bowl. I hear the argument that wild wolves ate raw meat. But then again, wild wolves never had access to boneless chicken breast stir fried in olive oil with broccoli, carrots, green bell pepper, and napa cabbage. There's a case to be made for raw. It's just not where I would put my chips. Anyway, no judgments. With little known for sure, we must all flail about as we think best, and as we are able. Even if I am sometimes bad at holding my tongue online, I do respect other people's choices and decisions, and wish other people and the animals they take care of only the best.

DogCat

The best food to feed your pet in the best quality food that you can afford. My dog has been on countless different foods (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Hills/Science Diet, Zignatures, Acana, etc..). All of these foods were fine and didn't cause any upset stomach or deficiencies. Picking food for my dog has been tricky because she is allergic to beef and an alarming number of dog foods are processed with beef. I mainly stick to feeding her fish based foods (salmon, whitefish, etc) since this is what works best for her. Right now I'm actually gearing up to try a new brand of food: Firstmate. They have a grain-friendly formula and, with all the recent concerns about grain-free foods for dogs, I'm really excited for it. I personally stay away from raw diets for fear of giving my dog salmonella poisoning (which has been a recurrent issue with many raw food brands). I also advise against making your own dog food unless you can consult directly with your vet, as it is very easy for your dog to become deficient in certain nutrients if the diet is at all imbalanced. Also, for whichever food you do pick, use a dog food calorie calculator and the kcal/cup measurement for their food to know exactly how much they should be eating, as the "feeding guide" on bags is often vague and doesn't take into account factors like your dogs exercise level.
Also, out of all of the brands I've tried for my dog, a few that she seemed to do well on were Blue Buffalo Taste of the Wild Salmon, Zignatures Whitefish, and Acana Heritage Freshwater Fish

AyeAyeCapn

Ellie's dad
Original Poster
Thanks for EVERYBODY's input. Speedy went back home and then had to move, landlord complained, but Speedy remained sweet lovable and all good things. Fortunately, she was adopted out to a great family that's related to my relatives. I miss her terribly.

BUT, I'm concerned about food again, for Ellie. I keep reading about "raw" food but to me, that means raw meat etc. I suspect that's not exactly what it refers to. Can someone give me the a real basic Rawfood101?? Thanks in advance.

linda2147

how big is the dog? I've fed raw for years with no problem but you have to add the right additives for a balanced diet

linda2147

You would feed roughly 2 -3 percent of her body weight. Grind up some chicken bones and all, offer her a tablespoon and see if she will eat it, if she does then good, but not all dogs like the raw food. If she likes it and you choose to go with raw start out with chicken, grind it bones and all then add honest kitchen, that is all the "greens" she needs, mix about 1/4 cup of the honest kitchen with warm water, let it sit until it thickens then add it to the raw meat, then add 1 tablespoon of "missing link for skin and coat" to the food, that is all the vitamins and minerals she may be missing in the food. Also give one probiotic a day, 2 glucosamine pills (chewables) and one fish oil pill daily. I'm saying chicken but once in a while change the protein source so she doesn't get sensitive to any one meat. I grind enough for a week at a time, put in containers and freeze, take one out as you use one.

AyeAyeCapn

Ellie's dad
Original Poster
You would feed roughly 2 -3 percent of her body weight. Grind up some chicken bones and all, offer her a tablespoon and see if she will eat it, if she does then good, but not all dogs like the raw food. If she likes it and you choose to go with raw start out with chicken, grind it bones and all then add honest kitchen, that is all the "greens" she needs, mix about 1/4 cup of the honest kitchen with warm water, let it sit until it thickens then add it to the raw meat, then add 1 tablespoon of "missing link for skin and coat" to the food, that is all the vitamins and minerals she may be missing in the food. Also give one probiotic a day, 2 glucosamine pills (chewables) and one fish oil pill daily. I'm saying chicken but once in a while change the protein source so she doesn't get sensitive to any one meat. I grind enough for a week at a time, put in containers and freeze, take one out as you use one.
Thanks for the detailed information linda2147, but another question: Raw, as in raw, from a package, no cooking heating boiling just cold out of the package and ground?

linda2147

no cooking, just grind it up raw, why I say bones and all is because if a dog doesn't have enough bone in their diet they will get loose stools and the stools need to be hard enough to express the anal glands when they have a bowel movement