Forum Change

Matrix

Admin
This forum has migrated to a modern platform xenForo, I will be customizing the forum in the next few weeks. There are many cool features to be explored.

If you have any questions or difficulties using the new forum, please feel free to post here.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Was something wrong with vBulletin? I thought it worked fine.

Not liking the circular avatars. That feature cut off Emily's head.

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
The vBulletin version we were using is 7 years old, there is no upgrade path, we were stuck in the past. We have to move on, just a matter of time. Try re-adding your avatar.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
What does the green and white circle above your username mean?

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
If you use PC, hover your mouse on it, it shows "Online Now".

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
When I saw the change, I was like, "Yikes!" But, I think I like it better!

Thanks for the change!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I am posting this from my smartphone, very easy compared to old format. It's more clear and simple. I will keep using my desktop though, as I only use my phone for calls. 😎

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
Thanks for all your support! The main benefits:

1. Super mobile experience, very smooth and intuitive.

2. Fast registration with FB or Google accounts (still working on it), this should get us more members. :D

Two new things compared to vBulletin:

1. You can mention a user with @Alpha1 , Alpha1 will be alerted. After you type @ and a few characters, a list of matched usernames will popup for selection.

2. Very powerful quote, you can quote any posts and a part of any posts, even in a different thread. Just select the text with mouse, a window will popup, then you can add it to your quotes (you can do this multiple times). When you write your post, simply "Insert Quotes".

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Matrix, unfortunately our problem with member registraitons was not how many people joined, but their decisions to just ask one question, then stop posting when they get answers. We need to focus on keeping new members active long-term. Will it really help to make registering easier if all animal lovers want to do is get help with one issue and move on?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to hte forum Radish.

If you are using a cell phone, the size of your screen is likely guaranteed to make everything too tiny. That is just the nature of mobile devices. A small screen will decrease the font and image sizes every time. Try using a deskiop PC if you have one.

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
Matrix, unfortunately our problem with member registrations was not how many people joined, but their decisions to just ask one question, then stop posting when they get answers. We need to focus on keeping new members active long-term. Will it really help to make registering easier if all animal lovers want to do is get help with one issue and move on?
The forum should help keeping new members engaged with more interaction and alerts.

If one of 20 new members stays, when the new members double, the stayed members double too.

I wrote the above text on PC but didn’t finish the post, now I read the forum with my phone, the draft is right there, wow, unbelievable!

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
BTW, the mobile version is identical to PC version, they use responsible design, you get the same on all devices, only difference is that the forum will adjust itself to different device width.

With vBulletin the mobile version has very limited functionalities.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
My only problem with vBulletin was an intability to uplad big pictures from my computer while everyone else cold easily upload or copy/paste images in most sizes.That problem was irritating, but ittakes time to see if there has been any photcopying and uploading improvement.

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
You are right, CatMom, vBulletin can't handle very big pictures, the current limit of attachments is 1024x768 and 300KB. We have to limit it because nowadays the image files are simply too big if you don't process them before uploading.

Since xenForo can handle big pictures very well, let's try something new: I have set a very big file size limit: 8 MB, which means you can upload any image files, you can even shoot on the fly, when you upload files with mobile, it allows you to shoot a new picture. Your uploads will succeed, but the picture will be resized to 900x800. This is very handy, when you walk your dog in the park, it's so easy to take a picture and upload to this forum.

Just realized this has to be the biggest improvement of xenForo, especially for a pet forum where pictures are important. vBulletin mobile doesn't even allow you to upload files.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
No kidding Matrix. Being able to post pictures on a pet forum is very important. I noticed the photo album strip at the top is gone now though. Was it impossible to transfer that feature or did you just decide not to have it anymore?

Matrix

Admin
Original Poster
I noticed the photo album strip at the top is gone now though. Was it impossible to transfer that feature or did you just decide not to have it anymore?
I haven't thought about that. I'm still learning how to use xenForo.

The albums are now in the Media tab.