frightened puppy

Hut

My family got a 3 month old pomeranian. While she is great with my wife and daughter she trembles and will have nothing to do with me. I hold her in my lap and she calms down some what but as soon as I put her down she runs and hides. I realize it will take some time but I am anxious for her to become my friend. Any suggestions? Thanks

wombat

Hut it sounds to me like your pomeranian may have been mistreated, by a male before you got her, it will probably take some time for her to settle, maybe you could give her treat while she is on your lap and that way she might see you as not being the same person who mistreated her.Goodluck With her I'm sure she will come to trust you, eventually.

ihatepuns

Yes, using treats to associate your presence with positive feelings would definitely help. However, the best solution will be time ... you can't expect her to become your best friend in a day. Ease her into it :)

doggiemama

Try activities that will give you quality bonding time without it being entirely focused on her and you together. Walk her. Toss a ball for her. Do other things where her focus will be on the activity, not you and her fear, and over time she'll learn to trust you. Giving her treats on your lap may create positive feelings, but it may make her feel more afraid because she's being forced into a situation that scares her. I have yet to meet a Pomeranian who doesn't respond well to someone who tosses a toy ;)

Also, remember that some dogs have preferences for males or females. My family's Pom worships my stepdad, brother, and uncles. My mom, sister, and me? Not the same. We know she loves us, as evidenced by her excitement when we walk in the door, but it's nothing compared to her response to the guys. While you definitely don't want your dog to be afraid of you, understand that you may never get to the same type of relationship ass your wife and daughter have if your dog has a gender preference. But you might be able to have a different type of positive relationship.

Hope that's helpful.