Getting new setup for UVB

Geo71

Have 75 gallon tank for musk turtle. Currently have a compact 5.0 uvb bulb and dome. I need something different as I know this is not enough uvb for him. Any thoughts from anyone on the Reptisun 5.0 HO hood and tube bulbs? I would like to get the 36 inch one as it will cover a good portion of my tank. It will be sitting on top of a metal reptile screen aquarium about 12-13 inches from top of water. Will this be ok? Will it affect turtles eyes or burn him? Should I still cut holes in screen to allow UVB through? I am trying to avoid doing that (want to keep integrity of screen) is why I want to go with a HO system as long as it will not harm my Musk.

I have also heard mixed thoughts on cutting holes in your screens. Also for those that may have this system sitting on top of a metal screened aquarium cover, how do you secure it to the top of the screen or do you just plopped it on top and leave it? (I have a curious cat and I do not want him to shove light onto the ground if he decides he wants up onto the screen. Hense another reason to not cut holes in top of screen..lol. I need screen to retain strength as not to have cat break the thing if he hops up there).

rockabilly

If the UV is doing harm to it the turtle will simply dive back into the water. Its only used for basking. As long as there are plants or caves for them to hide in they will be ok. UV goes through screen, not glass. so that's ok as well. As for securing the lamp, many come with spring clamps, that hold the lamp firmly in place, they hook directly to the metal screening. Hope this helps.