Giant water bug or tailess whip scorpion?

Plex

As many of my mantids die from old age, I am considering moving up to something a bit more difficult to keep and longer lived, and have narrowed it down to two main potential candidates for keeping next year; these are the giant water bug ('toepincher') and Damon diadema, the tailless whip scorpion.

What are the opinions of some of the people that might know more about these interesting inverts; which would you find more interesting to keep?
Neither photo is mine.

D. diadema:

Giant water bug:

Tongue Flicker

Exotic Animal Lover
Both! Haha :D

Tailless whips and whip scorpions usually live around 3-5 years. Must have access to dry and damp substrates. Lots of climbing areas and full darkness (though black light is good).

Giant water bugs live less than whips but are equally stunning and interesting as well :D

Plex

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I decided on getting both eventually but Giant Water Bugs are easier to find for sale in my area, so I'm just waiting for the breeder I found to have more available now, or for someone else to bring them to the exotics expo in the area ^^

Tongue Flicker

Exotic Animal Lover
Haha nice!

Basically the idea for whips and tailless whips is to keep them like asian forest scorps only with a lower temp (16-24 degress Celsius. A common mistake of most keepers is keeping them at a higher temp). Place a wide shallow water dish in the dry side substrate and lots of dried leaves and bark chips on the slightly damp side substrate. Then a huge hide/cave like structure in between touching both the dry and damp side. Place your black light or heat source beside where the damp side is. Very high relative/constant humidity is a must (above 95%).

Giant water bugs are nice. I used to see a lot of those in skewers for human consumption in Vietnam haha. My brother in law who lives there keeps an albino water bug as a pet. It was a 5 gallon covered tank with a maroon colored gravel substrate. It was just bare, more like a science lab looking tank and he feeds eat tadpoles @_@