Girlfriends Dog Won't Stop Barking at me

Jbry562

My girlfriend has two dogs. One is a couple years old and the other is a senior. The one who is a senior is super friendly and her and I play and can even sort of cuddle when I come over. Her younger dog however has barked and hid in holes from the day I first showed up. We have tried things like giving treats when I first show up, ignoring her, etc. But nothing seems to help.

We noticed that if my girlfriend spends a legth of time at my house her younger dog will also bark at her when she comes home from my house.

We tried an experiment. The other week I left a worn shirt of mine in her room and her younger dog did not seem to mind or even notice. This past week I left a worn pair of boxers under her dresser. Her younger dog was notably more cautious and even smelled under the dresser area with extreme hesitation.

Is there something about my body chemistry and scent that is leading her to feel threatened and what can we do to help reduce this. It has been over a year since I met her dog and I see her routinely at least once a week on most occasions

TTouch

So when you go to gf house phone/text her to get this barker on a lead and meet you out front and take the dog a walk together, no petting, fussing, no treat giving, no talking to it, no looking at it, just walk...this dog is anxious/fearful and you have arrived into its home and the barking/hiding has now become a habit........... dogs are always prepared to change IF they see the humans can change... so by meeting outside of its home and walking you are changing your behaviour and changing the 'game'... when you have finished your walk you all arrive and go in together so the dogs 'habit game' has changed and it is likely if you consistantly do this the dog will change.

hamsterlover123

Don't be afraid or hesitant around the dog. Be confident around it. Maybe have the dog come into your house? It has nothing to protect there so it will be less agressive.

Jbry562

Original Poster
Don't be afraid or hesitant around the dog. Be confident around it. Maybe have the dog come into your house? It has nothing to protect there so it will be less agressive.
Definitely no fear or hesitation around the dog. Like I said I play with the other dog in the house when I come and even try and give treats to the one barking..

We have tried having her on a walk to try seeing of she is simply being territorial, however while on a walk and way from the house she had her tail between her legs and would constantly try and get away from me..

To me it seems she is scared of me for some reason..this behavior is not common with other people. However most of the other people that the fog has met is related to my girlfriend in some capacity. Do you think that because the dog only meets her family members that this may be a matter of the dog not liking strangers?

Jbry562

Original Poster
So when you go to gf house phone/text her to get this barker on a lead and meet you out front and take the dog a walk together, no petting, fussing, no treat giving, no talking to it, no looking at it, just walk...this dog is anxious/fearful and you have arrived into its home and the barking/hiding has now become a habit........... dogs are always prepared to change IF they see the humans can change... so by meeting outside of its home and walking you are changing your behaviour and changing the 'game'... when you have finished your walk you all arrive and go in together so the dogs 'habit game' has changed and it is likely if you consistantly do this the dog will change.
We did notice that the dog will get tense and start barking as soon as she hears my car roll up. Maybe I will attempt to park a couple houses down and give her a call to bring the dog out! Thanks for the idea!

TTouch

Definitely no fear or hesitation around the dog. Like I said I play with the other dog in the house when I come and even try and give treats to the one barking..
What you are doing without realising is by giving her any attention and feeding her treats is praising that barking, so the dog thinks that you want her to feel that way

We have tried having her on a walk to try seeing of she is simply being territorial, however while on a walk and way from the house she had her tail between her legs and would constantly try and get away from me..
So this is an anxious/fearful dog, so ignoring her, no treating, no tryng to interact, no speaking... you take off all the additional presure from her to 'perform'

Last edited:

Jbry562

Original Poster
What you are doing without realising is by giving her any attention and feeding her treats is praising that barking, so the dog thinks that you want her to feel that way

So this is an anxious/fearful dog, so ignoring her, no treating, no tryng to interact, no speaking... you take off all the additional presure from her to 'perform'
Thank you for all your insight. We are honestly so perplexed as other strangers come in and she is much less fearful/hesitant and calms down faster than around me. We have tried the just ignore her, but the dog will actually come into her room where we are just to start barking and run off. You probably have some validity that we are training her or rewarding her for feeling anxious or fearful however. We will try the idea of the dog coming out to meet me rather than me coming into their home. And parking a few houses down so she isn't set off by the sound of my car! Next weekend will be our first try as we were out of town last weekend.

TTouch

Good luck just remember you might need to repeat it a few times to break the habit that has now built up in her... just completely ignore her no looking, touching or talking to take all the pressure off her