Giving our "tiger" a course of tablets. Epic fail!

Hedgewitch

Hi everyone. In the continuing saga of Shelley the stray...we were adopted by her about 4 months ago. She was starving and mistreated but she's now living in cat luxury. Our problem is, she's had a bout of diarrhoea for a week or so. Not bad but just enough to make her lose some of the weight she's put on. She's still drinking and eating ok and is quite happy. We took her to the vet yesterday where she had an injection to get her treatment started and we were given tablets for her, one a day for a week. We've tried everything to get her to have it. None of the Youtube methods work. We just end up bleeding and she manages to spit the tablet out. They must be awful because she drools terribly until the taste is gone. I know I'm clutching at straws here but does anyone have a better way of doing it? We've tried Greenies pill pockets. It worked on our other 2 cats but little missy just sticks her nose in the air and refuses them. 😧

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
I'm so sorry to here this Hedgewitch. Unfortunately, I don't have much advise to give, but I'm sure Alpha or Linda will be along shortly! :friendly_wink:

Furballs&dogbones

Did you try crushing it up and putting it in wet food? How about giving it to her in a piece of hotdog or other meat she likes?

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Did you try crushing it up and putting it in wet food? How about giving it to her in a piece of hotdog or other meat she likes?
Furballs gave some great info! Just, "will she eat it?" is left to ask.

linda2147

ask the vet for some propectalin, it comes in a tube and you just squirt it in her mouth. It also comes in a chewable tablet like a treat so she may eat that

Ghost Comanche

This is what we did, and it worked like a charm.

We used just enough wet food for it to be like a small treat.

My cats ate dry food, so wet food was a treat to them.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
When my cat had diarrhea, the vet gave me Metronidazole susp., it was a liquid/cream that was administered by measuring with a syringe and then gently and slowly putting it in the cats mouth, giving him time to swallow as you empty the syringe, being careful not to force any into the throat so it doesn't get into the lungs accidentally.

I always wrapped the cat in a towel and exposed only his head, sat him on my lap on a kitchen chair. My husband sat on a chair facing us and put the syringe into the side of the cats mouth until it was empty. I always had some canned food on a plate for him to eat right afterwards, because it tasted bad.

There's an over the counter product that works very well and is administered the same way, you need some type of small syringe. It is Nutri-Vet anti-diarrhea for cats. I use it for both my cat and dog in different doses when needed, results in one or two days.

My cat is not food driven, luckily I've never had to give him pills, to me that would be a failure too. Even ground up in food, they can smell the pill and unless they are food driven, they won't touch it. Good luck.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Here is a natural solution: Feed Shelley a little bit of plain pumpkin every day. If she eats it, you may not even need to give her pills.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Thanks Catmom. I've read that. If I mix it with a little cat food she might. I'm out buying grain free cat food this morning. That's supposed to work too, if she's that way inclined. The Internet is a wonderful thing. So much help. 😊

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Solid Gold is grain-free and has recipes with pumpkin listed on the front label. Now available at Petsmart, finally.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
When my cat had diarrhea, the vet gave me Metronidazole susp., it was a liquid/cream that was administered by measuring with a syringe and then gently and slowly putting it in the cats mouth, giving him time to swallow as you empty the syringe, being careful not to force any into the throat so it doesn't get into the lungs accidentally.

I always wrapped the cat in a towel and exposed only his head, sat him on my lap on a kitchen chair. My husband sat on a chair facing us and put the syringe into the side of the cats mouth until it was empty. I always had some canned food on a plate for him to eat right afterwards, because it tasted bad Good luck.
Thanks Alpha1. I've explored this option but our vet keeps only the basic medication here. I'll check and see what catagory it comes under in Australian drug administration. If its not an antibiotic I might be able to get it online. I've just come home from shopping and have a variety of grain free food and pumpkin to try her on. Unfortunately, when I got home, she'd thrown up. I'm hoping that she just ate too much. Before she came to us she was living on birds and mice. I'm wondering if we did it right...introducing her to proper cat food. We didn't take her to the vet initially because we didn't know if she'd stay or not. Adopting her was a last minute decision. We've wormed her but our vet didn't want to vaccinate her until she's over this problem I'll have another go at the pill pockets today, maybe with her favourite steak. It's like the worry of kids all over again. 😜

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
"The right cat food" is such a complicated topic for indoor cats because they can't eat mice. It is individual for each cat in some ways, but one thing that makes our pets felines is they are obligate carnivores born ot hunt.

Even if iti s not an antibiotic you may need a prescription. However, it is possible to get a prescription-only medication online by entering your veternarian's name and work contact information on a pet pharmacy website.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
I've given up doing it myself. I'm going to go to the vets daily for him to give her the tablets. Even if I have to pay a consultation fee each time, it's worth it to get her right again. I have my husband crying because she's sick. We lost his two cats to old age less than a year ago. He won't get over that in a hurry. 😔 Thanks everyone for your help.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
You don't have to pay a consultation fee if your veterinary practice is like one I took my previous cats to. They had a veterinary technician give a sick cat medication in the waiting room at no cost. Not all practices will do that, but it may be worth asking about.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Shell started vomiting so back to the vets. More injections. She has some sort of bacterial infection. We've got a liquid to squirt down the back of her throat 3 times a day now. Hopefully this will put her back on track. She went downhill in a matter of hours. I feel so helpless with my baby. It's contagious too. She has 4 kittens. ��

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sorry to hear that, hope she recovers and the kittens don't get the infection....good luck with your babies.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Thank you ❤. With just the one 14 day boost injection, she's looking a lot brighter. I've hand fed her some shredded beef steak and bought her a chicken and she's actually interested in eating now. I can't stop the kittens from using her tray instead of theirs but hopefully their immunity through her milk will help. If not, more vets bills but at least we'll know the right treatment.

I just can't get over how close we've become to Shell in such a short time. Both of us were crying today when she looked so bad. For 2 humans adopted 3 months ago, it's like we've had her for life. Match made in heaven no doubt. 😍

Just a note to people in US, hope you're all safe. Just watching the news. Weather is insane. 😥 Don't go out. XX

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
That is good news about Shelley. Is she cooperating with the liquid medication?

Some diseases are contagious to nursing kittens because their immune systems are still immature. A boost from milk can help but you really need to make them pee and poop somewhere else. Buy a litterbox with higher sides only Shell can get into if you don't already have one.

Does the vet know what her problem is?

BTW the weather is perfect here. Without news channels I would never know how bad it is somewhere else.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thank you ❤. With just the one 14 day boost injection, she's looking a lot brighter. I've hand fed her some shredded beef steak and bought her a chicken and she's actually interested in eating now. I can't stop the kittens from using her tray instead of theirs but hopefully their immunity through her milk will help. If not, more vets bills but at least we'll know the right treatment.

I just can't get over how close we've become to Shell in such a short time. Both of us were crying today when she looked so bad. For 2 humans adopted 3 months ago, it's like we've had her for life. Match made in heaven no doubt. 

Just a note to people in US, hope you're all safe. Just watching the news. Weather is insane.  Don't go out. XX
Glad things are looking up and she's eating too. Also it's great that you've bonded so closely together. :love_heart: We had the 'bomb cyclone' come through by us here in Colorado a couple of days ago, I stayed inside that day, winds were too intense and coming from all directions whipping around the snow. Very bad visibility on the highways, accidents, property damage, trees toppling.....luckily we fared okay and didn't have any damage that I'm aware of. The storm has moved on to other areas, I just heard that Texas is having extreme winds now, but no snow.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Crazy weather!! We had weeks of 45-46°C this summer. Not to mention horrendous dust storms. They're not life threatening though so I guess we're lucky.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Of course Texas has no snow. The state has warm winters, just like Florida.

Hedgewitch, most forum members only know Farenheit temperatures and say 45 degrees when it is cold outside.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Of course Texas has no snow. The state has warm winters, just like Florida.
The point was that Texas was being affected by the latest storm 'bomb cyclone' causing extreme winds, Texas has had snow.....just not now with this storm.

UWIBc1ExVMQ