Gone

mechi2

My dog died today. Her name was Little Shannon, she was a Chihuahua, lived 16 years and 7 months. She was diagnosed with kidney failure around 2 and a half years ago, then with a neurological disorder that made her unsteady on her feet. Two days ago she stopped eating and showed no interest in what was going on around her. Yesterday I decided to put her down, and I was too late, when I got up this morning she was dead.

linda2147

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. I ow how hard it is ad my sympathies ar with you. But she did you a a favor and her own so she din't have to make the decision. My thoughts are with you.

CatMom1994

I am so sorry. You loved Shannon for almost 17 years. She left pawprints on your heart.

mechi2

Original Poster
Thank you, yes she certainly left pawprints on my heart, I didn't realize how much until she got sick and the day to say good bye was coming.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My dog died today. Her name was Little Shannon, she was a Chihuahua, lived 16 years and 7 months. She was diagnosed with kidney failure around 2 and a half years ago, then with a neurological disorder that made her unsteady on her feet. Two days ago she stopped eating and showed no interest in what was going on around her. Yesterday I decided to put her down, and I was too late, when I got up this morning she was dead.
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Little Shannon, I know your heart is aching right now. May she rest peacefully, she is no longer suffering. Find comfort in knowing you have given her the best care, quality life and loving home until her last day. Hugs, my friend. 💜

mechi2

Original Poster
Thank you, the thing is I don't know if I have given her the best care, she may have been better off if I made the decision to put her down earlier but I just couldn't.

Yes CatMom even though thinking of her right now makes me ache, I know someday it will become a treasure that will make me smile and even laugh

CatMom1994

Thank you. The thing is I don't know if I have given her the best care. She may have been better off if I made the decision to put her down earlier but I just couldn't.
This probably happens to everyone whose pet had kidney failure and suffered too long. First the problem is chalked up as, "He or she just became a picky eater." Love causes people to downplay everything until it is too late or make the wrong decisions, such as giving pets fluids every day, that do nothing but cause more stress to relieve symptoms and delay the inevitable. You are definitely not alone. I kept 4 cats who had CRF alive too long.
Yes CatMom, even though thinking of her right now makes me ache, I know someday it will become a treasure that will make me smile and even laugh.
I hope you have many pictures of Shannon to laugh at when you are ready to look at them again. You will know when that time comes.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thank you, the thing is I don't know if I have given her the best care, she may have been better off if I made the decision to put her down earlier but I just couldn't.
Don't be hard on yourself, you gave her the best of care, even with her health issues. As long as you were there for her I'm sure she appreciated your presence and love. I think they want to stay alive with family just as much as the family wants them to go on. When she stopped eating, you made the choice to end her suffering, she just happened to pass on her own. You did good by her. 💜

mechi2

Original Poster
Thanks much for the reassurance, I try not to think about what I should have or shouldn't have.

Yeah CatMom I have a lot of photos of her, and some short videos, I'm sure some day I'll enjoy looking through them and remember her being full of life and energy in her better years.