Grooming

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
How many here groom your own dogs? Standard Schnauzers are a high-maintenance breed, needing regular brushing, clipping, trimming, ear plucking, eyebrow trims, etc. I began to show my first SS years ago, but decided it wasn't the life for me or my dog. Nevertheless, I learned to groom him, including stripping the coat (wirehair). Since then, after a couple of bad groomer experiences, I decided to always groom my own dogs. My boy needs to be seriously groomed around 3-4 times a year, and just brushings, etc. in between. Anyone use a grooming table and doing their own furkids?

Attachments

adterrier

I groom my own stripping by hand. Lots of work, but the coat is so much better than when clipping even though it's hard on the hands. Good exercise though!

Anodyneghost

I've always groomed all of my own animals, both dogs and cats. It can be time consuming yes, but ultimately I think it's been the better choice for my animals. Every time I've gone into a groomers, whether it's for advice on a problem I'm having or with a friend for their animal, the animals I see always seem stressed out and scarred. My critter kids love bath time (yes, even the cats) and brushing/trimming etc. because we make it a relaxing fun, thing for them.

LukeOKL

My wife grooms our dog regularly as we find it really stresses him out when we take him to the actual groomers. Since he is a small dog it isnt much of a challenge for her and she usually does a really good job with it. She uses regular scissors and it seems to do the trick nicely.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Years ago, before I knew better, I brought my young female Schnauzer to a groomer. The groomer was irritated, because I wanted to stay there and be present throughout the grooming procedure. When he twisted the dog's inner ear hairs with an instrument, causing my dog to yelp, I was concerned.

Another incident was an extremely close shave to another of my dogs. The anal area was red and slightly inflammed, and caused the dog to run away from himself, and stress over the sore area for a couple of weeks time.

Although I am aware that there are many kind and caring groomers out there who truly love animals, I prefer to groom and bath my own. I know that they're being treated properly. Here's a sad story of a grooming nightmare, warning-upsetting photos.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131005/Horrific-fate-Trudie-cocker-spaniel-burned-death-drying-cage-dog-groomers.html

wombat

I used to groom and clip our poodles when we had them even though it probably wasn't all that professional.Our Shepherd is the one that needs the most grooming, as she looses a lot of hair.Our daughter took her little shitzu x dog to a different groomer once, and she cut her nails too short and made them bleed, so that was the last time she took her there.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
I used to groom and clip our poodles when we had them even though it probably wasn't all that professional.
Poodles definitely need to be clippered. I'm not professional at all either, but when you have a high-maintenance breed, it's best to groom them yourself if you can find the time. It saves a lot of money, and is better for the dog not to be handled by a stranger.

It's so easy to cut the quick of the nails and make them bleed, we avoid that by not cutting too short at all. When professional groomers do things like that, it makes me angry. They are supposed to be trained to know better.

Did you ever have to pluck any inner ear hair from your Poodles ears? I heard that was another breed that had problems with excess hair and related problems.