Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
OMG I am so sorry Paw. You made the right decision for Harold because no dog should suffer every day like that.

A lot of people wish they found this forum before letting their vets give a Cytopoint shot to their dogs. You are not alone.

linda2147

I'm so sorry you lost your Harold. We as pet parents want to do what's right for our animals, it doesn't always work out the way we want though. Cycopoint is a killer drug and everyone should know about these cases.; some dogs do ok on it but for the unlucky ones that do not people should be warned about it. All medication has some side effects so when they tell you there is no side effect to whatever they want to give that should be a red flag. Maybe hopefully soon this drug will be taken off the market, in the meantime all we can do is warn people about the dangers of it and hopefully they listen

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Cytopoint can't be taken off the market soon enough.

Why hasn't anyone filed a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer yet?

RenFlo

I’ve watched this thread for several weeks, before I’ve had the heart to comment and decided to post in the hopes of helping others. I wish I had found this forum before we were recommended to give cytopoint for our dog Harold. Harold was given the Cytopoint injection on 7/30/19. Within hours of injection, he was lethargic, didn’t want to eat, coughing and was limping. Prior to shot, he was not acting sick and was an energetic 6 yr old Boxer Mix. Next day, Harold went back to the vet, since we thought it thought it was reaction to the shot. Vet assured us that these symptoms were not consistent with typical side effects of shot. Full blood panel, including Valley fever and tick fever came back OK. Two days later, Harold was not better and vet referred us to ER for ultrasound of heart and stomach. Nothing was found but lymph nodes were slightly swollen. Three days later we went to another vet for second opinion and physical exam indicated possible neurological issue. A steroid shot was given since he felt it may have been pulled muscle or disk issue causing rear leg limp. Harold rebounded for 4 days and seemed a bit better. Following week, he suddenly spiked a 106 fever and was hospitalized on IV fluids and given Predisone at our vet. Following day we brought him to a neurologist for testing and he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, Immune Mediated Rhematoid arthritis and his 106 fever returned, his white blood cells were at 65000 and all his joints were severely swollen. He was hospitalized for 3 days. We were able to bring him home for a week but his fever kept returning, he couldn’t eat and he lost a lot of weight. Despite all the medication and pain killers he was on, he was crying in severe pain. We couldn’t bear to see him suffer and Harold was not getting any better at all. He was rehospitilized overnight at neurological vet and he was in pain and they couldn’t get his fever stabilized. On 8/30, one month after he was given the Cytopoint shot, we had to put him to sleep. The Neurologist was amazing and she was the only one to acknowledge that this could have been a possible tumor/cancer in the neurological system that was exasabated by cytopoint injection and in-sighted this full body response. In my heart, I truly feel that the Cytopoint set all this in motion. Harold was such a good natured awesome dog and I feel slightly responsible in not having researched the Cytopoint injection more. View attachment 9348
Hi Pawpower — I‘m so sorry for the loss of your Harold. Im going through the same right now with my dog. He seems to get better, but then he doesn’t. I too feel responsible for putting my boy through this too. All because I didn’t want him to itch anymore. I blame the vet companies for just wanting money.
I hope you find peace in knowing he’s no longer in pain. Wishing you comfort.

Pawpower

Hi Pawpower — I‘m so sorry for the loss of your Harold. Im going through the same right now with my dog. He seems to get better, but then he doesn’t. I too feel responsible for putting my boy through this too. All because I didn’t want him to itch anymore. I blame the vet companies for just wanting money.
I hope you find peace in knowing he’s no longer in pain. Wishing you comfort.
I’m so very sorry to hear that you and your pup are going through this too. There was a lot of details and info that I left out of my original post, so that it would not become to convoluted. If you can share what, if any, specific symptoms or issues your dog is exhibiting post injection, I would be more than happy to offer any guidance or suggestions that we learned going through it. We found it helpful to track and kept a log of how much he was eating and how often, monitoring his temperature (to ensure he was not running a fever etc). One other suggestion I would do is I requested my vet to contact the manufacturer and open a case with them, which she did. I was going to follow up with them this week to let them know about the numerous ER visits, the neurologist visit and that Harold had died within the month. Let me know if there s anything I can help you with

DeeCee

My boy has been on Apoquel - Prednisone cycle for years with the odd Piriton when needed. He was stable for a while then it seemed to stop working so well. The vet suggested Cytopoint. His 1st jab worked well for the first couple of weeks with no obvious side effects. No itching whatsoever! A real miracle. On week 3 he was in the praying position indicating pain. He was also vomiting and had a fever. He was prescribed Ranitidine for his tummy, given an anti-inflammatory shot and the vet queried Pancreatitis. (A new one for us). She also switched him to a low fat food. (I've been feeding him ostrich and other low fat meats for periods of time and he isn't overweight). He seemed perkier but his itch was returning. He had his 2nd injection (will be his last) and his itch just exploded to levels we hadn't seen before and the praying position and vomiting were back. He was prescribed Apoquel again (2 a day) as well as Piriton (2 a day) as well as anti-biotics for infection (unknown), painkillers and more Ranitidine for his tummy. His itch became so bad I put him in pyjamas (reluctantly) to give his skin some respite. His vomiting reduced to just through the night (google suggested it could be acid and to give a feed before bed - which works for now). His antibiotics finished and his coat started to smell awful and his skin flaking like crazy. Took him back to the vet. More antibiotics for a skin infection (?). Another anti-inflammatory jab and a mite treatment and shampoo for good measure. Same story.. no progress. This week more anti-biotics, anti-inflammatory, Ranitidine, Piriton and the vet has told me he has reached safe regulation limits for Apoquel and if we continue to give him 2 a day then it will be against their advice. I said no. So he is taking 1 a day. He was sick today, his skin smells of urine after his shower and his fluid intake has reduced. His coat is still patchy and balding and his skin virtually rolling off in sheets like sunburn. He has still a few anti-biotics to go this week so will have to wait and see. I'm at the end of all hope and worried so much. I wish he hadn't had the Cytopoint and he won't be getting it again. I only hope when it wears off he returns to how he was. (Never thought I'd love to see him just with a severe allergy). I hope there is no lasting damage or symptoms. Reading some of these posts he's been lucky so far. The problem is a monthly injection is not like some pills you can stop giving after a bad reaction. When its done, its done. Don't do it.

DeeCee

I’ve watched this thread for several weeks, before I’ve had the heart to comment and decided to post in the hopes of helping others. I wish I had found this forum before we were recommended to give cytopoint for our dog Harold. Harold was given the Cytopoint injection on 7/30/19.

Within hours of injection, he was lethargic, didn’t want to eat, coughing and was limping. Prior to shot, he was not acting sick and was an energetic 6 yr old Boxer Mix. Next day, Harold went back to the vet, since we thought it thought it was reaction to the shot. Vet assured us that these symptoms were not consistent with typical side effects of shot. Full blood panel, including Valley fever and tick fever came back OK. Two days later, Harold was not better and vet referred us to ER for ultrasound of heart and stomach.

Nothing was found but lymph nodes were slightly swollen. Three days later we went to another vet for second opinion and physical exam indicated possible neurological issue. A steroid shot was given since he felt it may have been pulled muscle or disk issue causing rear leg limp. Harold rebounded for 4 days and seemed a bit better.

Following week, he suddenly spiked a 106 fever and was hospitalized on IV fluids and given Predisone at our vet. Following day we brought him to a neurologist for testing and he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, Immune Mediated Rhematoid arthritis and his 106 fever returned, his white blood cells were at 65000 and all his joints were severely swollen.

He was hospitalized for 3 days. We were able to bring him home for a week but his fever kept returning, he couldn’t eat and he lost a lot of weight. Despite all the medication and pain killers he was on, he was crying in severe pain. We couldn’t bear to see him suffer and Harold was not getting any better at all. He was rehospitilized overnight at neurological vet and he was in pain and they couldn’t get his fever stabilized.

On 8/30, one month after he was given the Cytopoint shot, we had to put him to sleep. The Neurologist was amazing and she was the only one to acknowledge that this could have been a possible tumor/cancer in the neurological system that was exasabated by cytopoint injection and in-sighted this full body response. In my heart, I truly feel that the Cytopoint set all this in motion. Harold was such a good natured awesome dog and I feel slightly responsible in not having researched the Cytopoint injection more. View attachment 9348
OMG. I'm so sorry for you and your Harold. So unfair, unnecessary and I've no doubt Cytopoint set it all in motion. Thank you for sharing to raise awareness. I wish I'd known sooner before my dog had it. Harold looks so handsome in his hat and so selfless and loving of you to think of him at the end. Bless you all <3

Pawpower

My boy has been on Apoquel - Prednisone cycle for years with the odd Piriton when needed. He was stable for a while then it seemed to stop working so well. The vet suggested Cytopoint. His 1st jab worked well for the first couple of weeks with no obvious side effects. No itching whatsoever! A real miracle. On week 3 he was in the praying position indicating pain. He was also vomiting and had a fever. He was prescribed Ranitidine for his tummy, given an anti-inflammatory shot and the vet queried Pancreatitis. (A new one for us). She also switched him to a low fat food. (I've been feeding him ostrich and other low fat meats for periods of time and he isn't overweight). He seemed perkier but his itch was returning. He had his 2nd injection (will be his last) and his itch just exploded to levels we hadn't seen before and the praying position and vomiting were back. He was prescribed Apoquel again (2 a day) as well as Piriton (2 a day) as well as anti-biotics for infection (unknown), painkillers and more Ranitidine for his tummy. His itch became so bad I put him in pyjamas (reluctantly) to give his skin some respite. His vomiting reduced to just through the night (google suggested it could be acid and to give a feed before bed - which works for now). His antibiotics finished and his coat started to smell awful and his skin flaking like crazy. Took him back to the vet. More antibiotics for a skin infection (?). Another anti-inflammatory jab and a mite treatment and shampoo for good measure. Same story.. no progress. This week more anti-biotics, anti-inflammatory, Ranitidine, Piriton and the vet has told me he has reached safe regulation limits for Apoquel and if we continue to give him 2 a day then it will be against their advice. I said no. So he is taking 1 a day. He was sick today, his skin smells of urine after his shower and his fluid intake has reduced. His coat is still patchy and balding and his skin virtually rolling off in sheets like sunburn. He has still a few anti-biotics to go this week so will have to wait and see. I'm at the end of all hope and worried so much. I wish he hadn't had the Cytopoint and he won't be getting it again. I only hope when it wears off he returns to how he was. (Never thought I'd love to see him just with a severe allergy). I hope there is no lasting damage or symptoms. Reading some of these posts he's been lucky so far. The problem is a monthly injection is not like some pills you can stop giving after a bad reaction. When its done, its done. Don't do it.
I’m so sorry you and your dog are going through this. The one thing I would recommend (and I’m glad that our vet did it) is to file a report with the Cytopoint manufacturer to report your dogs side effects and issues. It’s the only way that this drug and its side effects can be tracked and the only way the FDA Will know about the potential harm it’s causing

Xolo mom

I am terrified. We just got cytopoint injection Tuesday before taking a long car trip Wednesday, my Xolo loves to travel with us. This trip she is experiencing nausea, motion sickness, with drooling & vomiting. We’ve never had this issue, and travel often. Is this a side effect of the shot? I know this is nothing compared to the horrible things I’ve read about these poor dogs. I’m sorry your sweet dogs have suffered so.

Pawpower

I am terrified. We just got cytopoint injection Tuesday before taking a long car trip Wednesday, my Xolo loves to travel with us. This trip she is experiencing nausea, motion sickness, with drooling & vomiting. We’ve never had this issue, and travel often. Is this a side effect of the shot? I know this is nothing compared to the horrible things I’ve read about these poor dogs. I’m sorry your sweet dogs have suffered so.
How is your dog feeling now? Is she still nauseous? The manufacturers website does state that nausea and lethargy is reported is sometimes initially common so hopefully she’s feeling better soon

Mother of Dogs

Last year my 14 year old lab received her first Cytopoint injection after years of struggling with atopic dermatitis. Maddy has struggled with skin issues since I adopted her when she was three years old. She has scratched both ears in two consecutive years to develop aural hematomas that lead to surgical procedures where her ears had to be cut open and and sewn together flat again.

Not to mention the years prior to this where I would have blood splattered walls because she would scratch her ears so much. Once she lost feeling in her ears she moved on to her tail, and would gnaw at it until it was raw (which she has done this year yet again). Maddy had (and still has) severe skin issues especially in the fall and winter months.

I was desperate for a solution. Apoquel was suggested to me by my veterinarian and that worked for several years. My veterinarian kept talking about this new drug that was coming out, Cytopoint. It was out for a few years before we tried it and last year I was excited after the first injection when she seemed to be so much more comfortable and I didn't have to give her a pill everyday.

It came time for our second injection because she began to scratch some more. About three weeks later (which I see is similar to other posts on here that have had the same issue with this drug) Maddy started to smell. I thought I just needed to start cleaning a little better, but then my husband came home from work and said that it was Maddy.

I went over to look at her and was inspecting her to figure out where this smell was coming from. Then I looked in her mouth. I was horrified by what I saw, her gums were black, her teeth were black, I did not know what this was; Maddy had always had such beautiful teeth. She did not want me to look in her mouth, but I thought she had cancer of the mouth or something.

I took her to the vet the next day and they found that she had dried blood in her mouth and she was basically bleeding from her mouth. The ran her blood tests and found that her platelets were low. We rushed her to the emergency vet clinic where they had more extensive technology. I thought this was it, I thought I was going to have to say goodbye to my best friend.

We got to the vet and they thought that it was worth trying to save Maddy. We ran tests and everything came back negative. The only thing they came up with was ideopathic immune thrombocytopenia. This weekend I was supposed to go to my graduation, but I skipped it. How could I go when I thought I was going to have to say goodbye to my best friend.

The night we brought her home we woke up to her vomiting up blood. I was so scared. We rushed her to the vet again, Maddy pulled through with antibiotics and steroids. This happened in May 2019, and Maddy had been on steroids up until the end of the first week in November. I had to take her to the vet once a month since May to be sure her platelets were stable as we tapered the prednisone. We went back to our regular vet this past Monday, November 18th for bloodwork since she has been off of prednisone for two weeks to recheck her blood.

Unfortunately at this time she has begun to scratch herself again and has already gnawed her hair off of her tail. I waited to see what the vet would say about what we should do. The emergency vet told us no more vaccines for our old lady. Well this, past Monday the veterinarian suggested we try giving her another Cytopoint injection.

I told him I was very nervous and apprehensive about giving her this because it just felt like her severe illness was too close to that Cytopoint injection. He tried to describe that it didn't work like that and wouldn't cause this. I re-iterated that I was still so nervous about this. I told him prednisone seemed to be working with the itching and maybe we should just put her back on that.

So here we are back on prednisone. I came on here out of curiosity and I am SO glad that I did not listen to the vet this time around. He was going to give her that Cytopoint injection. Today (November 20th) is Maddy's 15th birthday and I am so thankful she is here so we can celebrate her. No more Cytopoint for her or any of our pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

linda2147

I am so sorry for what you are going through with Maddy. I keep thinking of that killer drug, the heartworm shot that was supposed to last six months. After hundreds of dogs died from it it was finally pulled off the market. Hopefully this drug will be pulled also. The company only wants to hear about the dogs that were not affected by the drug, they tend to ignore complaints. But if enough people complain to the company something will have to be done. Everyone that has had bad reactions to the drug should contact the company, of course they will deny their "super drug" was not the problem but if enough people can show a correlation between it and their dog maybe something will be done. I hope. Don't believe it when anyone tells you "no side effects" All drugs have side effects.

Dize

After reading this thread there is no way I am taking westie back for a fourth injection. I noticed after 1st injection that her skin had crusty bits and her hair was falling out. Never had that happen. I believed the vets that cytopointwas okay and it was something else. Now it is worse she has list so much hair. I have also noticed that she has lost her appetite and wash lethargic. But the loss of hair I put down to cytopoint. Has anyone else found that reaction.

Paulina Klasios

Hi all,

My little man Melo is a Boston Terrier, 3 years old, 11.2kgs, and overall in good health. He is lively, energetic, and beyond loving. I have had him since he was about 8 weeks old. Around one year, Melo starting exhibiting signs of allergies - itching, hot spots, redness, you name it. We tried elimination diets, home cooked diets, different proteins, limited ingredients, medicated shampoo, environmental changes, benedryl.. nothing seemed to work consistently.

In June 2017 I took Melo to his vet because his allergies were starting to immensely affect his quality of life and he was scratching nonstop to the point of rashes and open wounds. The vet [well-reviewed and promising a stance of transparency with his clients] recommended Cytopoint, a biological injection {ref 1}. His explanation of the shot was brief and it was stated that side effects were practically nonexistent, it worked well, and after-effects were only limited to lethargy 24-48 hours after receiving it.

The vet did state that Cytopoint was fairly new on the market but, being a novice dog owner, I did not think too much into that.. the only concern was to improve Melo's condition. As with any medical professional, for animals or humans, you want to have good faith in them and hope that their recommendations will have more benefits than costs.

Melo began his Cytopoint injections in June 2017 and at first, the results were miraculous [I have seen this to be a commonality in this thread] and his symptoms reduced by 80% almost immediately. He was asymptomatic for almost 12 weeks before needing his next shot. Melo has been on Cytopoint since, and never exhibited any behaviours that were abnormal to his daily routine after getting it.

However, things have taken a turn since. Melo received his most recent Cytopoint shot in November of 2019. His symptoms after were typical - reduction in scratching and some lethargy. By the evening he was still quite sleepy, and was not drinking water or interested in food or treats. Three days after his shot, it became clear that something was very wrong - Melo was in a stupor-like state, unresponsive to stimuli, not eating or drinking, had abdomen tenderness, and had watery diarrhea with blood. Most of his day was spent sleeping and intermittently getting up to walk around and relieve his obvious discomfort.. it was heartbreaking to watch.

Thank GOODNESS, 48 hours after his really negative symptoms began, his stools, appetite, and energy levels have improved. He is being closely monitored for changes in tongue/gum colour or dehydration, but we are hopeful that the improvements will continue until he is back to himself.
The relief that was felt is indescribable.

After taking the time to read through this entire thread, I have seen countless stories of other dog parents who have watched their dog suffer or lost their pet after receiving this shot. Funny enough, hardly any 'scientific' research exists on all the negative reported side effects of Cytopoint - except these anecdotal community posts. PLEASE take the time to read the links below about Cytopoint and how the studies that were conducted to prove its efficacy and safety to the FDA were disgustingly insufficient, at BEST. I hope that this increased awareness will reach Zoeitis and they will have to pay consequences for the illegitimacy and obscure descriptions of their products.

Reference 1: https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/cytopoint/
Reference 2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dog lover EN

We're certain Cytopoint almost killed our beloved, happy, smart, healthy and lively Jack Russell named Jake. He had been given Cytopoint several times in the last couple of years without a problem. After a routine shot last year, we watched him carefully throughout the next 24 hours because within one hour after the shot, he oddly refused to eat or drink and stayed in bed..... with sadness and fear in his eyes. He made a full recovery within two days, thus the situation was dismissed by the vet as not related because the manufacturer performed "extensive safety testing." Since Cytopoint worked in the past, we believed it. Fast forward to a month ago, another highly rated vet stated that thousands of her client dogs receive it and it's "very safe." So, Jake was given Cytopoint but within the hour, he was at death's door. He couldn't eat, drink or stand and his severe pain was obvious from his frequent shaking, stiffness and terror in his eyes. He pulled through and survived with 24/7 care at his side for 7 straight days. We trusted the vets and this product's "safety testing" but found it to be biased because it was performed by the product manufacturer. We later looked for double-blind scientific studies performed by any other outside entity and found nothing! We don't understand how the FDA can approve this as reputable medicine. Thanking God our lil Jake was spared from death.

linda2147

you are one of the lucky ones. A lot of dogs aren't so fortunate. I will never try anything new for my animals until its been tested by thousands of dogs with only a less than one percent bad reaction. No matter what they tell you ALL medication has some side effects so its up to us as pet parents to be on alert to what new thing they are trying to push

lionsm31

My min pin had the itches something horrible.
She would draw blood on herself scratching on herself so hard.
She was miserable. What is one to do?
Cytopoint was our last hope.
She had the injection right at a week ago and is doing well and her itching has subsided immensely.
We were at our wits end and had tried everything except Apoquel.

Also in the interim we are trying to build up our baby's immune system, much of what I'm sure most of you in the forum had also done.

I'm not surprised at the negativity expressed in this forum on this drug.
The people who are not having issues with it obviously are not here same as any forum it would appear.

I certainly hope that my baby does not react negatively to this drug and I am truly sorry for those who have had a negative experience with it.

Perhaps there should be a flip side of this thread of
Who has had a positive experience with Cytopoint?

Last edited: