Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

dwestgate

My 15 year ol, 10 pound, Chihuahua started having seizure type activity after she received cytopoint. I didn't attribute it to the cytopoint initially, I spent a fortune trying to diagnose the concern, we tried seizure medicine and heart medicine (after a we checked her heart) The treatments didn't work and we stopped them. The seizures seems to have stopped after the medicine wore off. What a nightmare. However, her itching is back, please let me know if anyone else has had this concern.

Ella

My dog Honey Pie used Cytopoint w/o issue for a year receiving shots every two months. I moved and used another vet which was given a Cytopoint shot that was a premeasured injection which my old vet never used (but then again I am not a vet so perhaps he did).

My girl had a shot in December and within hours I saw her begin to struggle with walking and sitting down every few feet. When I read the posts about hind leg issues, etc. in Christine P22 post confirmed the shot may be the culprit and not that she jumped off the bed wrong as the vet tried to convince me.

She was very tender in her hind quarters, could not walk, lethargic and looked pitiful which scared the bejesus out of me. After a day and a half she stopped urinating, she would squat but too weak to go and pooped in small quantities with pain. Of course, I went to the vet emergency who charged me for xrays and told me she had the beginnings of spinal stenosis at 3 years old. I believe they gave her an IV fluids and antibiotics from the bandage on her leg.

I am not sure if its a coincidence her failing and the cytopoint shot within such a short time. She was on pain medication for a week as no one knew what to do and my girl was in obvious pain. I am now very skeptical of Cytopoint especially since the manufacturer has either not performed or released a side effects report. I am grateful to find this blog to know I am not crazy with my caution to give her another Cytopoint shot.

I will try Apoquel knowing the side effects. She is on a no grain diet of salmon including cookies, broccoli and apples. I am doing all I can as naturally as possible to help her but she needs help with itching. I wish I spoke her language as sometimes I am daft when it comes to body language. Thank you and hope all your kids recover and feel chipper again.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum Elle. Thank you for posting. What is your dog's name?

All drug manufacturers are required by law to test for and report side effects. Even if only one patient has a side effect, it must be reported. In addition, all medical research must be done in several stages. In other words, only one drug study is illegal. I don't care what species is being treated; nothing gets FDA approval without proof the drug is safe and effective. So the fact that this allergy shot was even considered for approval by the FDA will never make sense.

Ella

Welcome to the forum Elle. Thank you for posting. What is your dog's name?

All drug manufacturers are required by law to test for and report side effects. Even if only one patient has a side effect, it must be reported. In addition, all medical research must be done in several stages. In other words, only one drug study is illegal. I don't care what species is being treated; nothing gets FDA approval without proof the drug is safe and effective. So the fact that this allergy shot was even considered for approval by the FDA will never make sense.
FYI: https://www.2ndchance.info/Cytopoint.htm

Dog Force One

That website cheerfully goes on and on telling the reader how peachy-keen these "products" are, without the slightest mention of all the dear pets maimed and killed from their killer shot.

Just more marketers talking out of their a*s for a buck and doctors lining their pockets, while their "recommendations" are killing more and more people's pets.

Nothing gets FDA approval without proof the drug is safe and effective.
That may (or may not) be the intention, but it is clearly not true. Case in point.

And it is common knowledge that the current administration is hell-bent on crippling the FDA and EPA to squeeze more blood money out of our country, while public protections and public health take a nose dive.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hi Ella, welcome to the forum! You're smart not to give another one of those shots to Honey Pie, from all I've read about it I won't give it to my dog at all. He's had some summer seasonal allergies that I chose to deal with more naturally. I try and steer clear of prescription meds and shots unless really necessary.

I used Dinovite on his food during summer and it seemed to help, now this is the first year I feed it year 'round in hopes that when the pollen flies he will be in better shape than in the past. Also, Krill oil or coconut oil in the diet will help the skin with moisture and itching.

I also use a more natural anti-itch shampoo and conditioner and keep his hair a little shorter in summer, he tends to mat and knot, so that promotes itching for sure. I vacuum more often to try and get up dirt and dust mites, and have stopped using strongly scented products on anything he may lie on. Good luck, hope Honey Pie stays happy and healthy.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I agree with Alpha natural care is better care. However, sometimes in severe cases going the natural route is ineffective and Apoquil doses can't be avoided. It is a trial and error process to figure out what is right for your dog, except for Cytopoint always being the wrong answer.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That website cheerfully goes on and on telling the reader how peachy-keen these "products" are, without the slightest mention of all the dear pets maimed and killed from their killer shot.

Just more marketers talking out of their a*s for a buck and doctors lining their pockets, while their "recommendations" are killing more and more people's pets.
Just curious Dog Force, have you seen any information on the internet about Cytopoint being very hazardous or deadly to dogs? I only heard of it here, like in this thread and I've searched around the web looking for known cases of dogs dying from this shot, or lawsuits being filed against this company for the Cytopoint shots.....but I haven't found anything regarding its dangers.

I think the experiences shared here are horrible, but wouldn't you think that there would be a site where hundred of people told their personal stories and/or filed a lawsuit against the company? I find that odd, do you?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
You may be getting on to something Alpha. I will feel silly looking up dog information despite never having a canine pet, but can imagine this going the way of a class-action lawsuit.

Dog Force One

Just curious Dog Force, have you seen any information on the internet about Cytopoint being very hazardous or deadly to dogs? I only heard of it here, like in this thread and I've searched around the web looking for known cases of dogs dying from this shot, or lawsuits being filed against this company for the Cytopoint shots.....but I haven't found anything regarding its dangers.

I think the experiences shared here are horrible, but wouldn't you think that there would be a site where hundred of people told their personal stories and/or filed a lawsuit against the company? I find that odd, do you?
In short, yes, I find it odd, too. I have dug around a few times now as well and also come out with next to nothing.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/cytopoint/safety.aspx

I see two problems here that disprove their own claim about long-term safety:

1. They only studied beagles.
  2. The study duration was less than a year.
The reason I do not like only studying one breed is many other breeds are bigger or smaller than beagles. What is 5 times the labeled dose for your dog? They should have studied dogs in different size groups to see if all breeds should take the same dose or is dosing affected by the patient's weight.

The study duration is beyond ridiculous. Seven months is short-term by anyone's defnition.

ippikiokami

Has there been any official response from vets or zoetisus on this?

About 6 weeks ago we got our dog a cytopoint shot a little before we left for a trip. He was on Apoquel and looking at all the adds it was much easier (and advertised better) to give him this one shot than having to explain and tell who was taking care of him to give him Apoquel at X times. Over the last few weeks he has had these fits which include

1) Lethargy
2) Bad stomach gas (can hear it)
3) Not wanting to eat + Vomitting
4) And then after a few weeks he has all 3 above and shakes at times.

The problem is he has always had a sensitive stomach so we were fearing issues from that had gotten worse but it has never been close to this bad. For weeks we had no idea what was going on and had taken him to the vet 3-4 times already. 2 Blood test showed up with no issues at two vets offices. Both just sent us back with recommendations of Pepcid and prescription foods for stomach issues. It wasn't until the other day we were actually thinking about getting our other dog cytopoint that it dawned on me that it seems the symptoms got worse after the shots and seem to be getting slightly better lately when the next shot was due. I started searching on the net and found the pug blog + some post on reddit and ultimately this forum.

While he seems to be getting a little better I am still extremely worried. Do we have a summary of information that we have gotten from all of these post? What I would like to know the most are what are the reactions / what treatments were they given to try to get better / if any information every came from a vet or the drug company on how to help our dogs if this happens.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found us.

Well, now you can see the drug company will deny everything is a side effect of Cytopoint after guaranteeing overdoses are safe for seven months because the link I posted is to their official website's safey claims page. Veterinarians will finally begin to take repsonsibility for listening to the wrong people when a class-action lawsuit is filed to make Zoetisus prove its safety claims are completely false.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
In short, yes, I find it odd, too. I have dug around a few times now as well and also come out with next to nothing.
Thanks for your reply DF, I'd like to see more discussion/evidence of the Cytopoint injection causing serious illness or death in dogs. I like to hear all sides of the story and decide from there, but there is little to nothing on the web.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
If the information we want was available from the sources we are looking for, a book would have been published already.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I just compared how two veterinary drug makers (Zoetis and Merck) attempt to prove the safety of their products. Merck has a "product label" link on each medication description, which includes a full list of warning and cautions. Zoetis, as we all seem to know by now, has no links to webpages with that information. Unfortunately none of Merck's products are injections for itchy dogs, but when I read about a topical treatment for ear infections, it was exactly what I was looking for and could not find on the Zoetis site. If Merck made Cytopoint everybody would have known in 2016 all of the side effects it can cause just by visiting their website. My point is Zoetis is the one failing your dogs because other companies make sure veterinarians know everything.

Spotthedog

My Springer X aged nearly 7 started exhibiting fly-snapping behaviour recently, and I was assured that it can't be Cytopoint. He had been terribly itchy and it was found to be a storage mite allergy. We were struggling to control it with diet and Apoquel, so we agreed to try Cytopoint - he's been having a monthly injection for several months now. Even with that he was still scratching, so the vet increased the dose after consulting with Zoetis. However now that he has started this fly-snapping, I asked the vet not to give the next dose in case he is having focal seizures caused by the injection. Does anyone else have similar experience? My vet will report it for me as a new side-effect if we think it is this. Kidney function all checked and OK...

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome Spot. Sorry to hear your dog is having this reaction to that shot, I really hope that it doesn't progress to seizures or worse. I would definitely refuse a second dose, there are other ways to help with allergies or itching that don't involve such devastating side effects, up to and including death. I only know what I've read about personal stories here on these threads, not much additional info online or any reports of class action lawsuits against the company. I won't ever give my dog this shot, and he does seem to have seasonal allergies every summer into fall.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
At least your veterinarian is willing to report a new side effect to Zoetis if focal seizures occur. I did not read all of the horror stories on this forum, but apparently other people have vets who refuse to accept the fact that Cytopoint is the cause of post-treatment disorders, including seizures.

Alpha is not alone. If I ever had a dog with allergies, it would get the same treatment my cat did: customized allergy shots to be given once a week.

shipra.sethi

. our 7 month old Lab Coco was given the injection on Saturday by a vet at his Primary’s office and he ended up in the ER today due extreme lethargy, fever, drooling since the injection.... he has been on medication for huis heart (TVD) since he was 8 weeks.... it seems like this drug only has a conditional license and pretty experimental but Vets are still injecting dogs with it as it is good money... a lot of people are reporting major side effects on public forums.. really upset and scared for Coco 😞 the emergency vet did say it has nothing to do with his TVD but neither vets want to blame Cytopoint (they are in touch with each other)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Wishing the best for your Coco, I don't blame you for being upset and afraid, I would be too. Welcome, please let us know if he starts to feel better.

It's funny that I couldn't find anything of substance about this drug on the web, not from the pharmaceutical companies, but from those who are both knowledgeable and unbiased. I don't have complete faith in doctors or veterinarians, they both seem to have lost their power to work honestly with their patients and instead are encouraged to promote the latest drugs, whether they have personal concerns about the drug or not. I think their employment is threatened if they stray from the herd. :(

shipra.sethi

Wishing the best for your Coco, I don't blame you for being upset and afraid, I would be too. Welcome, please let us know if he starts to feel better.

It's funny that I couldn't find anything of substance about this drug on the web, not from the pharmaceutical companies, but from those who are both knowledgeable and unbiased. I don't have complete faith in doctors or veterinarians, they both seem to have lost their power to work honestly with their patients and instead are encouraged to promote the latest drugs, whether they have personal concerns about the drug or not. I think their employment is threatened if they stray from the herd. :(
He has high fever, pain in his belly and right ear/neck region... he is drooling a lot and as of yesterday after they gave him pain meds at ER, and antibiotics for three days..he is not even eating now.. need to recheck with internal medicine doctor in two days.. kidney, liver function, blood count, basic ultrasound and x-ray lungs are within normal limits... they say its fever of “unknown-origin”... still not taking responsibility for cytopoint being the culprit...I just hope my baby makes it... he looks so bad right now :(

Last edited:

Mindi

Help

I have a 3 year old frenchton who has been on the Cytopoint shot for a year now. She went a few months without needing the shot and just received it last week. Monday she woke up with 2 lumps on her eye. By the time I got home her entire face was swollen and her neck. Took her to er and they gave her a shot of Benadryl and steroids. Told me to continue giving Benadryl. Yesterday she started vomiting and diarrhea. Lethargic not drinking water or eating. Took her back to er and they gave her fluids and an antibiotic and probiotic. They weren’t familiar with the shot and couldn’t give me an answer if the shot is causing this.